Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan Athletic (A)

Leyther_Matt

5 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

I didn't think Barnsley were as alehouse as previously, lost some players and new manager tweaked things a bit. I thought they were more open and gave us more space than last season, we didn't exploit it. Their scope for shithousing was less also with the tweaks in rules. 

Luton supposedly played that brand of football in getting up, they are making the best fist of staying in the Prem by some way. 

Luton are great to watch its proper football got bit of everything neat and tidy retain possession very well but can break quickly, go long and mix it up to test teams out against different approaches, while we think we can just play around teams. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

This encapsulates where we’re at. Evatt sadly doesn’t want to mix it up and that’s a massive blind spot, league one teams can chose to sit deep when they know we’re not going back to front quickly, the best teams do mix it up, Evatt has signed players to play one way and on nights like last night we fall short. 

Evatt's determination to progress playing the way we do is laudable, and when it works (is allowed to) it's highly entertaining. The issue he has is being totally wedded to it and building the squad (and the personalities, or lack of, in it) totally around it. 

Teams have gradually worked us out and will either press high and systematically foul us to disrupt us, or sit back and watch us pass ourselves silly in non threatening areas. Evatt gets frustrated with weak officiating (I can understand at times) but he isn't going to bring about the change he wants anytime soon so needs to change himself. 

At the moment, despite more personnel changes and strong backing from FV, we still beat the same types of teams and struggle against the same types of teams, score the same types of goals, concede the same types of goals. We've been stumbling unconvincingly along for weeks against mediocre sides, and were arguably in a false position before Saturday. I expected nothing else from Saturday and tonight other than no points. I expect none at Barnsley either. 

That's not pessimism and being a doom monger,  it's realism based on what's unfolding in front of my eyes

2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

For me, while we are good enough to beat plenty just by having better players, we have a weakness of being far too predictable especially against smash & grab teams.

We've no striker with a physical presence like them 2 at Charlton, Colby Bishop, Lee Gregory last season etc.

No midfielder who will drive at a packed defence like Frandsen used to. They must still exist.

We also need defenders who value the art of defending more than the art of fannying around. Forester and a fit Johnson can do this, not sure about the rest.

Not calling for Evatts head, not by a long way but there are 23 styles to play against, we have to be able to mix it up better

Great post exactly how I am. The problem is that it’s counter to what Evatt thinks so it’s very unlikely to happen. What do we do then?

9 minutes ago, Traf said:

The only stats that count or matter from last night are goals scored vs goals conceded.

100% this,hopefully Evatt will finally see this but I won't hold my breath 

Evatt saying post match that we  dominated the ball and dictated the tempo of the game is such a nothing comment.

We dictated the tempo because they literally camped in a low block and hoped for a smash and grab, which worked.

You simply cannot use that as a positive when there was no intention from the opposition to contest us dictating the tempo.

Just now, Traf said:

The only stats that count or matter from last night are goals scored vs goals conceded.

Aye we cant play the who cares about performances card on one hand and not the other.

We've just been beat by two local rivals and had the life sucked out of us.

Winners find a way to win.

9 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Evatt saying post match that we  dominated the ball and dictated the tempo of the game is such a nothing comment.

We dictated the tempo because they literally camped in a low block and hoped for a smash and grab, which worked.

You simply cannot use that as a positive when there was no intention from the opposition to contest us dictating the tempo.

Both teams had a game plan, theirs worked ours did nt .

Evatt makes a real twat of himself sometimes. 

1 minute ago, Mantra said:

He probably waves his cock at possession charts

I don't think it will dawn on him that it's a nonsense.

He's too far gone and stuck in his ways

1 minute ago, Ani said:

Both teams had a game plan, theirs worked ours did nt .

Evatt makes a real twat of himself sometimes. 

Since the final whistle last night I've read some fantastic meltdowns on social media. Some really top class stuff. Basically Wigan got lucky with their "game plan". We didn't. On two occasions, when we were in goals scoring opportunities, we took one touch too many and that was that. Opportunity gone. That's the way it goes sometimes. It stings. The match could have easily gone our way. The Post Mortems I've read since last night are mainly hysterical knee-jerk ramblings. Makes you proud.

Personally I don’t believe we should be worried. We were much the better team and a bit of a freak result. 
Atmosphere was awful (didn’t go) bad away end by all reports. It is infectious on the pitch. 
Would happily take 2nd now - looking rather likely given the dour nature of the league in general. Stumble over the line, I dont care how we get there just get there if you can. Ha.

do not call for Ian Evatts head - he was done a wonderful job and a rather unique playing style. 

steve Evans being linked and I for one would appreciate such a style of play. 

take care and enjoy the bumps in the season

m

How many shots did our frontline have last night................Zero, None, fuck all

Theres our problem, play it wide cross low, gets cut out repeat

its slow, tedious and will win fuck all  wake up and smell the coffee

56 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Since the final whistle last night I've read some fantastic meltdowns on social media. Some really top class stuff. Basically Wigan got lucky with their "game plan". We didn't. On two occasions, when we were in goals scoring opportunities, we took one touch too many and that was that. Opportunity gone. That's the way it goes sometimes. It stings. The match could have easily gone our way. The Post Mortems I've read since last night are mainly hysterical knee-jerk ramblings. Makes you proud.

I wouldn’t say knee jerking ramblings myself I’ve been very consistent with my views on IE and our performances

like I mentioned last night for me we haven’t been the same since Portsmouth away that result really hit us imo, take a few cup games & Carlisle away and we’ve been very fortunate and lucky in games but now it’s running out

we now must find the type of performances which we had sept & October time and see this job out otherwise a very promising season could u turn very quickly 

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

How many shots did our frontline have last night................Zero, None, fuck all

Theres our problem, play it wide cross low, gets cut out repeat

its slow, tedious and will win fuck all  wake up and smell the coffee

I must be looking at the wrong League table.

• Site Supporter
58 minutes ago, Plums said:

Ogbeta ( I think! ) squandered two good chances going for glory. He might be getting there position wise, but his decisions cost us last night.

Needs a preseason really to learn our ways... .. . 

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I must be looking at the wrong League table.

Thats the thing. Promotion is going to be won and lost in the big games. 

As it was last season. We fell short in the big games and it ultimately cost us.

This season has been no different. Theres not a hope in hell we have the balls to go to Derby or Barnsley and get a result.

Play offs will be de-ja-vu. 

We just cant handle the pressure and as much as I like Evatt and back him, his ingame management is highly questionable.