Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (A)

BeeversLeftPeg

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

A point from this would do very nicely indeed. It's obviously going to be a very difficult fixture given the form they're in but they do seem to be slightly more vulnerable at home than away.

After today, I hope Collins starts. His confidence should be boosted.

Controversial selection on my part- Thomason, Dempsey and Maghoma in midfield. Purely because the best teams seem to nullify Sheehan, and Maghoma will maybe offer a bit more pace on the break- I don't see us having the usual dominance of possession- and if he can still link up with Collins like today, then who knows.

What's the betting he starts Williams 🤔 

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Controversial selection on my part- Thomason, Dempsey and Maghoma in midfield. Purely because the best teams seem to nullify Sheehan, and Maghoma will maybe offer a bit more pace on the break- I don't see us having the usual dominance of possession- and if he can still link up with Collins like today, then who knows.

Assuming he's fully fit, yes, Williams probably starts most games  now.

Barring injuries, not sure when either Ashworth or Iredale will start again, which is a shame as I rate them both.

I liked Ogbeta today though, he's good to watch, and he was decent for the most part at Wigan, a definite step up on the more passive Williams.

Edited by Johnnyrotten

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Assuming he's fully fit, yes, Williams probably starts most games  now.

Barring injuries, not sure when either Ashworth or Iredale will start again, which is a shame as I rate them both.

I liked Ogbeta today though, he's good to watch, and he was decent for the most part at Wigan, a definite step up on the more passive Williams.

Williams isn’t defensively strong enough for the likes of Barnsley & Derby games imo 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I suppose he may put Iredale at lwb, for practical reasons.

Having 4 options for LWB meant I was surprised to see us play the same LWB for two games in row today 

Be amazed if ogbeta starts 3 in a row

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, Zico said:

Having 4 options for LWB meant I was surprised to see us play the same LWB for two games in row today 

Aye.

Again, for extra defensive strength if Ogbeta was swapped, I'd prefer Iredale in this particular game.

• Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, Zico said:

Put a fair shift in today  looked knackered.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye.

Again, for extra defensive strength if Ogbeta was swapped, I'd prefer Iredale in this particular game.

56 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Put a fair shift in today  looked knackered.  

It's just been a weird position for us for a few seasons now, no one seems to be able to make LWB their own for whatever reason including IE citing tactical reasons, even Dapo played there, whereas RWB is pretty much nailed on JDG this season and CB last season 

4 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Williams isn’t defensively strong enough for the likes of Barnsley & Derby games imo 

100%. Problem with him and, to a degree, JDC, is they're ok on days like today when there's no defending to do but weak against the better sides, especially if they're also a bit more robust in the wide positions

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm with you on benching Sheehan for this one.

This pub side, with their duo of Scouse shithouses in the middle (Kane and Connell), would love nothing more than leaving a stud or two in on Sheehan - him getting another soft reactionary yellow, and getting suspended for two games (I believe he's on for a similar punishment to Thomason..?)

Edited by TM Trotter

Our recent losses and poor form have piled on the pressure for this game and it worries me that only a win will keep the dream of an automatic spot alive. Barnsley win and they overtake us, retain their game in hand onus and we’ll have used up our game in hand on Derby.

Must win IMO and it would give us confidence for Derby away.

Edited by Wanderlust

A point is a good result here against an in form team. Steady the ship and be ready to go toe to toe for the last 11 games. I fancy us more against Derby and Pompey than I do against these lot.

20 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

A point is a good result here against an in form team. Steady the ship and be ready to go toe to toe for the last 11 games. I fancy us more against Derby and Pompey than I do against these lot.

It would be a good point had we got 3 from either Blackpool or Wigan.

Sooner or later you will have to beat teams around you.

Thats the way it works.

Win on Tuesday it’s on. 

Accepting a draw will mean we haven’t won an away game in 4.

That doesn’t get you promoted.

Edited by captainmed

4 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

7 points from the last 5 games isn’t great form from us.

Take a point all day long.

I get the feeling the Tykes will just bully 3 points from this one.

We’ve been treading water for a lot longer than the last 5 games - it’s just that we rode our luck at the beginning of the poor spell and scabbed a few narrow wins and draws to paint over the cracks. 
But that time has passed now. We’ve lost our games in hand advantage and the better teams have been gradually overhauling us so we can’t afford any more slip ups. If every team wins their current games in hand we finish 3rd.

Realistically we now have to beat both Barnsley and Derby and match them in all the remaining games even though they have easier run ins than us. We could do with beating Pompey and Stevenage too for good measure
If this team really is as good as the hype, it’s finally showtime and no excuses - it’s time to win every game between now and the end of the season and ideally score a shedload of goals in the process, starting on Tuesday.

Fuck the draw - this is a proper six pointer that we have to win IMO.

Edited by Wanderlust

I’ve lost count of the number of must wins this season that we haven’t won. The number of times “teams that get promoted win these games” etc. Yet here we are - top 2 firmly within reach. I’m not looking back at games we’ve lost. I’m looking forward to the ones we have left.

I can't believe the fear of Barnsley and Derby on here. Anyone would think were chasing the pack and points behind. Were right up there,level on points with Derby, 3 in front of Barnsley. There'll be a lot of twists and turns yet, but we still have every chance of going up automatically.

If by some weird stretch of the imagination we actually win this game then what would some people moan about ?   

Looking back over the final league 1 tables over the past about 8 seasons we realistically need about 23ish more pints from the 33 available.   Shirley we can do that ?  

9 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Our recent losses and poor form have piled on the pressure for this game and it worries me that only a win will keep the dream of an automatic spot alive. Barnsley win and they overtake us, retain their game in hand onus and we’ll have used up our game in hand on Derby.

Must win IMO and it would give us confidence for Derby away.

Must not lose rather than must win for me, a point takes us into second and after the two derbie defeats would give us a bit of belief going into Oxford and Exeter.