Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton are massive ....

gonzo

3 hours ago, FrancisFogarty said:

My tab packet geography always tells me Birmingham, Villa, Wolves, Coventry and even Walsall are near enough the same place.

I know they aren’t but so many big clubs in a fairly small area takes some supporting.

I would put us in second place after Villa (at the moment) levelish with Birmingham.

You missed West Brom too

41 minutes ago, L/H White said:

that's the question, how far do you go back?

time moves on, a big club 25 years ago maybe shouldn't be one now, depending on circumstances 

Overall current feel now with everything involved. It's not an exact science Ryan.

City are currently the most successful club team in world football.

For me they still aren't even in the same stratosphere as United or Liverpool regards general feel and legacy.

Id say it's pretty close but general feeling says them. Don't know why, just bigger city team.

Birmingham definately win best chant, keep right on , quality when they are singing that in unison. 

Birmingham is also the only ground where I've been hit by a coin more than once. Cunts. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Arrested development said:

Birmingham is also the only ground where I've been hit by a coin more than once. Cunts. 

same here

All subjective. Similar to some thinking Wigan are rivals and some not.

Time defo plays a part as those who remember Derby winning the league probably think they are bigger than I do. 

Preston the real quandary as no one thinks they big but their early silverware perhaps should give them more credence to the claim.

I remember some Preston fans giving it out on an away trip back from London and them lauding it about their invincible and trophies seemed odd as their grandads likely weren’t around.

I would have said straight away Brum are much bigger than us , but thinking about it recently when going there they are no bigger. Worked in Worcester so did a midweek in home end with a Brum and it was awful, he even said it is boring. 

Do think if they had a run of success they would have bigger gates than if we did similar. But that is based on purely personal feeling. Do not think we sold out the 1/4 final at their place.

37 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Prob the most shit scared I’ve ever been was at St Andrews.

Xmas 90 I think. 

We won 3-1.

I've never been as pleased to have gone with the travel club as I was that day! Coach was right close just as I heard that Zulu rumble. 

2 hours ago, Zico said:

in what respect though?

Purely crowd potential - home looking at stats, and away on instinct/the numbers they've always brought here compared to what we take there for league games.  They aren't significantly bigger than us at all, but the next rung up like a Wolves or Ipswich, IMO.

No shame in that, they all have less teams around them to compete with.

Probably the only time we get bigger gates than them is if we're in a higher division (not counting last year when their ground was half closed).   

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/birc.htm

2 hours ago, Steejay said:

We did score a second, you know.

I know, it was just an example how luck or whatever plays a part .  If that was now, not only would the goal have been disallowed but Lofty would have probably picked up a 2nd yellow 😃

Just saying that one match, whether its won or lost, whilst fantastic for our history, doesn't directly impact on our size.

13 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Birmingham are below us in the "massive tiers" in my opinion.

Think folk focus too much on crowd sizes, when it is certainly a factor but there is a lot to consider.

For me, it's about, Trophies, recent and historical attendances, players, years in the top flight, stadium size, recent successes(past 15/20 years).

When you factor that all in, I believe we're beyond the likes of a team like Birmingham, comfortably.

Major Honours

Bolton - 4

Birmingham - 2

Years in top flight

Bolton - 73

Birmingham - 57

Current average attendance

Bolton - 20,608

Birmingham - 20,306

Record attendance

Bolton - 69,912

Birmingham- 59,971

Stadium capacity

Bolton - 28,723

Birmingham - 29,409

The facts present themselves. The only thing they come close to us is on crowds, yet we still beat them this season in a lower league and have done in the past, despite them being the 2nd largest city in the country and us being a town.

In short, we are much bigger than Birmingham City.

Teams id put similar to Birmingham are the likes of Southampton, Norwich, Crystal Palace, Fulham etc.

We're more comparable to the likes of Ipswich, Sheff U, even West Ham more historically, Derby, Pompey, West Brom Etc.

I like this..... except West Ham they are off the scale compared to us. 

5 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Think folk focus too much on crowd sizes, when it is certainly a factor but there is a lot to consider.

For me, it's about, Trophies, recent and historical attendances, players, years in the top flight, stadium size, recent successes(past 15/20 years).

When you factor that all in, I believe we're beyond the likes of a team like Birmingham, comfortably.

Major Honours

Bolton - 4

Birmingham - 2

Years in top flight

Bolton - 73

Birmingham - 57

Bolton - 20,608

Birmingham - 20,306

Record attendance

Bolton - 69,912

Birmingham- 59,971

Stadium capacity

Bolton - 28,723

Birmingham - 29,409

The facts present themselves. The only thing they come close to us is on crowds, yet we still beat them this season in a lower league and have done in the past, despite them being the 2nd largest city in the country and us being a town.

In short, we are much bigger than Birmingham City 

Great stats - a good argument.  

Regarding current attendances, I start to lose faith in figures for current/recent times, we know our's aren't a true reflection (night matches especially) so god knows how accurate/true other club's supposed crowds are, virtually giving away kids STs has skewed figures for a lot of clubs.

14 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I like this..... except West Ham they are off the scale compared to us. 

I make the point of recency, because prior to their move to London stadium, yes they averaged more fans at uptown park, but we've still won more domestic trophies than them and spent longer still in the top flight.

Although like I said, the past 5 or so years have pushed West Ham way beyond us.

Another fact I forgot to include is that we are also a proud founder of the football league, a special title most other clubs cannot say they have 

We once went 25 home games unbeaten v Birmingham - our longest ever sequence against anyone. They're fucking minnows 😁

In terms of status, I'd put them below West Brom and Wolves.

3 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

Teams id put similar to Birmingham are the likes of Southampton, Norwich, Crystal Palace, Fulham etc.

We're more comparable to the likes of Ipswich, Sheff U, even West Ham more historically, Derby, Pompey, West Brom Etc.

Take West Ham out of it, and I'm not sure I'd really know what the difference is between the clubs in the first paragraph and the clubs in the second

3 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

Major Honours

Bolton - 4

Birmingham - 2

Years in top flight

Bolton - 73

Birmingham - 57

Bolton - 20,608

Birmingham - 20,306

Record attendance

Bolton - 69,912

Birmingham- 59,971

Stadium capacity

Bolton - 28,723

Birmingham - 29,409

In short, we are much bigger than Birmingham City.

Absolute nonsense 

13 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Take West Ham out of it, and I'm not sure I'd really know what the difference is between the clubs in the first paragraph and the clubs in the second

The clubs in the first paragraph have 5 trophies between them. The clubs in the 2nd paragraph have 26.

I suppose it comes down to big crowds or lots of trophies.

The giants in the game have both.

For me, I’d prefer the trophies, they create memories and go in the record books for ever.

I’m still hoping I’ll see the Whites lift a League cup or even better an FA cup before I shuffle off.