Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Portsmouth v Derby

8 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Annoying as it is, Wycombe play every midweek between now and the end of the season. They also played the last few midweeks. There isn’t another choice for that fixture to be played other than the midweek after the cup final. 

OK fair enough I didn't know that.  Bottom line is there are too many games, the reason Wycombe are playing every midweek is because they had to play about 12 games to get to the final.  A joke that a tinpot U21 competition has so much bearing on the league.  

Fair play to derby they were really good tonight, but as good as they were they didn’t win. Still think there’s a fuck up around the corner for them, we’ve just got to do our part and keep winning so that if they do we don’t have any regrets

45 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Said it in the top 8 thread. Difference between the top 2 teams is that they can grind out results away at the tougher teams.

Against top half teams away, I think Derby have 17 points and Pompey 19 points versus our 7 points.

Does that suggest that Derby and Portsmouth aren't able to grind out results against bottom half teams away from home? 😁

4 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Does that suggest that Derby and Portsmouth aren't able to grind out results against bottom half teams away from home? 😁

There is a bit of that, coupled with our stronger home form; but if we were able to take even a couple of extra points against the top teams it’s the old “double bubble” of you getting more points and the closest teams dropping them too.

If we’d drawn with Derby and Pompey but lost to Burton and Exeter, we’d be on the same points, but 2 closer to the teams above.

• Site Supporter

This league is nowhere near as bad as some folk are making out. If we have to go up in the play offs then so be it. The three championship teams who come down will be in for a shock I reckon (except Rotherham).

However, I’ve a feeling we might still be in it. Renewing early bird this week as are all our lot 😀

Derby did well tonight. Got a good point. Fair play

But if there’s one club capable of fucking things up as good as us it’s them

No happy clapper here but the fat lady hasn’t even started rehearsing yet

It’s down to us. Forget who has the easier run in. They’ll drop points. No idea where, they are as unpredictable as us. We just need to grind it out

47 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

I'm actually more confident in Derby against the better sides than the poorer ones.

They are better suited without the ball.

I agree. I do wonder, barring a minor miracle (which in my eyes, is still on), how they'd fare in the Championship. I see them doing more a Rotherham / Sheff Weds than an Ipswich, for example. 

I honestly believe, if we get there, we'd be better suited with opposition playing more open and attacking rather than what Stevenage and the like serve up at home.

Derby? Shithousing plodders,  nothing more, nothing less. But annoyingly good at this level. 

Quite impressed with Derby last night, without the ball they pressed and hassled, when they had the ball they moved it quickly.

Derby seemed to want it more than Pompey.

Pains me to say it, but it would have been a travesty if they’d come away  with anything less than  a point.

I'm amazed anybody thinks Derby played well. Both their goals came from breakaways when they had more or else a free run on the Portsmouth goal because the full back went missing. Second half they created very litlle  played deep and defended their box, but Portsmouth were devoid of ideas to break them down. I wasn't impressed by either side on the night.

Edited by waffer cup 07

3 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

I'm amazed anybody thinks Derby played well. Both their goals came from breakaways when they had more or else a free run on the Portsmouth goal because the full back went missing. Second half they created very litlle  played deep and defended their box, but Portsmouth were devoid of ideas to break them down. I wasn't impressed by either side on the night.

As the away side, who'd probably have been happy with a point at kick off, Derby did what they had to do pretty well, while Portsmouth had an off night. Ponderous on the ball and couldn't handle Blackett-Taylor's ball carrying runs. Slug fest of a game in horrible conditions.

Derby won't give two hoots about their performance. They've just taken 4 points from their nearest rivals in the space of a few weeks.

Looks like they can handle a big occasion.

....which will bode well for them in the play offs :)

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, kent_white said:

The very point I've made before.

Pompey are some distance away, so perhaps they do, but Derby aren't so far away, which suggests they may cock up at lower teams more than we do.

Wycombe will thrash 'em! 🤣

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The very point I've made before.

Pompey are some distance away, so perhaps they do, but Derby aren't so far away, which suggests they may cock up at lower teams more than we do.

Wycombe will thrash 'em! 🤣

Very much doubt it, 3 days after they have played at Wembley.

19 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Very much doubt it, 3 days after they have played at Wembley.

But if they lose the final they will be looking to bounce back and if they win will be looking to carry on the winning streak

Edited by freds dad

1 hour ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Would we have gotten a result in the same circumstances? Defending well and taking your chances is all part of the game.

7 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Would we have gotten a result in the same circumstances? Defending well and taking your chances is all part of the game.

Santos stood on the ball in 4tf of water wearing his flippers and mask and snorkel?

No thanks.

11 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

I know, but i thought it was more Pompey's lack of ideas how to break them down, rather than Derby playing well.

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Quite impressed with Derby last night, without the ball they pressed and hassled, when they had the ball they moved it quickly.

Derby seemed to want it more than Pompey.

Pains me to say it, but it would have been a travesty if they’d come away  with anything less than  a point.

Agreed, they were aggressive all over the pitch and very well drilled and the conditions probably suited them. 

• Site Supporter

If Portsmouth lose to Shrewsbury (which I get would be completely unexpected) then they will really start to shit it.

Their next games after that;Bolton, Barnsley, Wigan (well…..) and Lincoln might be tough to get them over the line.

Straws, clutching etc, but worth keeping in mind, as you never know in football….

46 minutes ago, desperado said:

If Portsmouth lose to Shrewsbury (which I get would be completely unexpected) then they will really start to shit it.

Their next games after that;Bolton, Barnsley, Wigan (well…..) and Lincoln might be tough to get them over the line.

Straws, clutching etc, but worth keeping in mind, as you never know in football….

Pompey can easily limp over the line, the defeat at pride park has seriously cost us. Still if Derby lose  or draw a game and we win it could give them a wobble and thats our best chance. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

59 minutes ago, desperado said:

If Pompey lose to us, Barnsley and Lincoln and we win all our games we finish above them on goal difference