Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley Home

Big E

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

What a photograph

It's a good photo but it raises the question in my mind of whether or not somebody else should be captain as he seems to lose the plot a bit when we concede or he personally makes a cock up. When that happens the captain should be the man with the coolest head on the pitch keeping everyone else calm and focused, but you can see Rico's reaction in his face and body language and I'm not convinced he inspires everyone else as a captain should. Maybe he'd recover from setbacks quicker if he wasn't the captain?

I have no doubt he's good at marshalling the back 3 and maybe Evatt feels he needs the captaincy to give him confidence, but there is a small nagging doubt in my mind about that. But, if not him, who else? George would be my choice but is he ready? And if we make it to the Championship, to what extent will we have a different team?

Tis a conundrum.

Edited by Wanderlust

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, LodgeMorrWhite said:

That was without doubt the best atmosphere i have ever experienced at the Reebok.  Waterfall at the start was simply perfect, it felt like 3 lions in 96 or the Pavarotti song for Italia 90.  That was ace! 

Shit tune, shit band ???@Wanderlust

47 minutes ago, LodgeMorrWhite said:

That was without doubt the best atmosphere i have ever experienced at the Reebok.  Waterfall at the start was simply perfect, it felt like 3 lions in 96 or the Pavarotti song for Italia 90.  That was ace! 

The club got it bang on last night. The display, the clackers, the music all spot on and helped provide a different feel. 

Felt sureal and worlds apart from the normal mundane match day.

The limbs after our second goal, Jesus Christ it was carnage.

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

The club got it bang on last night. The display, the clackers, the music all spot on and helped provide a different feel. 

Felt sureal and worlds apart from the normal mundane match day.

The limbs after our second goal, Jesus Christ it was carnage.

don't let the cool kids hear you enjoyed that or there will be no jolly boys outings for you, be doing mexican waves next in full england facepaint

Unreal atmosphere, particularly first half. We went a bit quiet when they scored their two goals second half but then picked up again when the lads needed it most in those final few minutes. Cheering every throw-in and tackle like a goal.

Probably best atmosphere I can remember. We drowned out the away support for 90% of the game.

Performance and result don’t matter anymore, the good and the bad of our season were summarised very well in that 90 minutes. 

- Trying to walk it in/not taking our chances (Thomo)

- struggling against physicality and directness (Cosgrove)

- giving away cheap goals/chances (Santos)

- but overall some really nice football and excellent goals

Feels so good to have a player like Collins in form. A league one Gareth Bale, can run in behind, can pick it up deep and run, can score out of nothing from distance.

He has a real swagger about him and was feeding off the chants of his name. Vital player now.

We did what we had to do, albeit in classic Bolton fashion, giving everyone palpitations. Now we just have to finish the job.

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

I try but I live down south 

Well resist the temptation to ‘fit in’ by becoming a southerner.

Edited by MickyD

6 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

What a photograph

Makes me sad my petulant Twitter use in the Anderson years got me blocked by him 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I'm not one of those for relentless negative posting but I have to say I've ended up feeling a bit deflated after last night. Living outside Bolton I've had a few wry comments about the pitch invasion after a 2-3 home defeat against a Barnsley side bang out of form. I've even had one "tinpot" comment about the same thing. 

I was feeling throughout the game last night that we were exhibiting the irritating faults that saw us finish 3rd rather than 2nd and that risk us coming up short in the pressure cooker of play off final. Lack of concentration in defence, not quite clinical enough in attack etc, occasionally prone to being out-muscled. I'm sure both Oxford and Peterborough know exactly where their potential avenues to success will be against us. 

It's too early to be talking about the Championship. Suffice to say if we come out of the lottery of a one-off game on 18 May with the winning ticket to tier 2 then some of the stuff on display last night will not be remotely close to what's required week in and week out.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

IMG_8829.thumb.jpeg.c34dcbea4a3b51967c0c8483e0870b99.jpeg

Great view from my seat. Could see all the players running around in the smoke, trying to get a photo with @Zico

I'd love it if we could get a decent amount of fans in the south lower every game, really made it for me

33 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I'm not one of those for relentless negative posting but I have to say I've ended up feeling a bit deflated after last night. Living outside Bolton I've had a few wry comments about the pitch invasion after a 2-3 home defeat against a Barnsley side bang out of form. I've even had one "tinpot" comment about the same thing. 

I was feeling throughout the game last night that we were exhibiting the irritating faults that saw us finish 3rd rather than 2nd and that risk us coming up short in the pressure cooker of play off final. Lack of concentration in defence, not quite clinical enough in attack etc, occasionally prone to being out-muscled. I'm sure both Oxford and Peterborough know exactly where their potential avenues to success will be against us. 

It's too early to be talking about the Championship. Suffice to say if we come out of the lottery of a one-off game on 18 May with the winning ticket to tier 2 then some of the stuff on display last night will not be remotely close to what's required week in and week out.

Re the pitch invasion. Last night was the 2nd half of a 180 minute match, which we won to get to Wembley. My immediate reaction was “we haven’t won anything yet so why the pitch invasion” but who cares, outpouring of relief, celebrating going to Wembley again, kids (and adults - @Zico) making memories forever. There are few occasions when you can get on the pitch of the team you follow for years and years, why not enjoy it when an occasion presents itself? I imagine the fans of the other clubs are somewhat jealous and if not, who gives a shit, let them think that.

As for the game, it wasn’t perfect but there was another team playing in the game. It was never going to be stroll in the park! No need to worry about what the faults of this game mean for Wembley, it’ll be a totally different game against different opposition, neither of which we’ve lost to this season (and one of whom as been on the end of us at our best and will be shit scared of the prospect on an even bigger pitch.

Try and see the bigger picture and just enjoy, there are loads of other things to be concerned about other than us making it though to the play off final.

• Site Supporter

Valid points Paul, though I think we have to take the specific nature of the game into consideration. 

Bit like the fa cup match this season when the local reds beat the less local reds.

Liverpool should have had it sewn up, and Utd finished up with players out of position etc.

In the end, that's what Barnsley had to do, and the nature of the occasional always brings out nerves etc.

Watching the extended highlights again, you could see how we'd dropped off and weren't pressing as we were early on.

Collins not close enough to their lad who had all the time in the world to pick a pass to Cosgrove for their third. 

What I was pleased about is Evatt's reaction and his admission that he gave them a bit of a piece of his mind afterwards. 

He wasn't overly celebrating and is still aware of what we need to do.

Food for thought for him perhaps as well- wondering about the bigger picture whatever league we're in.

I weren't gonna go on the pitch, but my 8yr old lad left me with no choice. He was off! Shirt off, swinging it round his head and doing Klinsmanns! 

As 'tinpot' as it may have been, it was great sharing it with my kids

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, boltonboris said:

I weren't gonna go on the pitch, but my 8yr old lad left me with no choice. He was off! Shirt off, swinging it round his head and doing Klinsmanns! 

As 'tinpot' as it may have been, it was great sharing it with my kids

Absolutely right.

So long as the players etc re-focus, and prepare properly, then fans celebrating is fine.

39 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I've bitten my lip about it as I assume I'll get some pelters for it but I thought a pitch invasion was very much jumping the gun. We lost the game don't forget and have only got the job half done, no promotion yet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as happy as everyone else to be going to Wembley, and last nights atmosphere was epic. Especially after our 2 goals.

Let's get the job done. 

COYFWM!!!!!!!

I was in the upper tier, so couldn't have gone on the pitch if I'd wanted to.
That said, I wouldn't have done from the lower tier either.

My view is that whilst the outcome was great, the performance itself wasn't and that we've not actually achieved anything just yet.

Good for the kids though to let off some energy, each to their own and all that.

Win at Wembley and I'd be on the pitch if we could!

Pitch invasion every game please, I was off the car park in no time. After going through the early exit gates as the stewards weren't for opening the exits.

Although if the highways agency can stop doing works on the M61 on wanderers match nights that'd be lovely.

Oh, and I know one lad that left on 80 mins last night. 🤯

I don't understand that even on "normal" games, but last night...... that absolutely beggars belief 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Zico said:

I'd love it if we could get a decent amount of fans in the south lower every game, really made it for me

The tellies weren’t working under the stand.

boooooooo