Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

This Weather.....

gonzo

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

NIC will tell you that you’re wrong. I just think it’s the most pointless exercise. 
Need all that gear just to be comfortable and warm, have to build your own gaff, be cold, all the time in the wettest windiest country known to man. Then you have to pack it all away and drive home. 
What’s the point. 

Because its ace.

I love a decent hotel from time to time, but it's just ace being out, the kids have a blast even as teens. Decent walks, good food, fire pits, spending time as a family. and I have to say down here you can get out from end of march into October. 

Also camping now is a piece of piss, we've got a large inflatable beam tent but for weekends two pop ups are fine in summer. Takes about 15 minutes to set up and take down a pitch.

All our gear is stored so just wash it and sling it in the garage until you are ready to go next time. Over the years we've realised you really don't need much. Best purchase was a smaller gas stove. Size of a small BBQ, we use it for everything. Usually about 180 quid but go ours in a sale for about 70. 

We have a larger full height stove for longer trips, but weekends you need to pack very little really.

• Members
Just now, Mr Grey said:

2pm to 3pm is the main event in Manchester, winds forcasted up to 58mph.

Fucking tame compared to down south.

The daughter has just shown me a video of a flying trampoline, wheelie bins and plastic garden chairs. 

Was that not footage from the Euros final?

7 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

2pm to 3pm is the main event in Manchester, winds forcasted up to 58mph.

Fucking tame compared to down south.

The daughter has just shown me a video of a flying trampoline, wheelie bins and plastic garden chairs. 

We've apparently, just been put into the "red" area  - so far though, just a few wheelie bins blowing up and down the street. Mrs Sweep has also made me put all the garden furniture away in the garage, as that had started to wander down the garden. Apparently we're going to get hit properly with it in a couple of hours.....

7 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Not that I want another thread to turn into an aircraft jizzathon, but Big Jet TV on YouTube is having the day of his life watching planes trying to land at Heathrow 🤣

I was supposed to be having my annual check flight in a glider this afternoon...

Bollocks

Just a bit windy in South Lincolnshire, nowt special, seen worse.

Had an email from my internet provider telling me that my email might be down owing to the wind... hmmm

Fed up with emails from Screwfix and Tool Station and the like "Batten down the hatches with our top rated power tools", I'll be getting Sainsburies or Tesco next... extra nectar points for gusts over 100 mph... cashing in as always. Talking of which I should make a few bob with my ladders on Sunday replacing roof tiles in the village 🙂

Three hours in and I've lost two roof tiles, three fence panels (with another five extremely suspect) and my greenhouse has been completely toppled and knackered.

Oh well only another seven hours to go then a respite until Sunday morning when it starts again and carries on through to Monday afternoon albeit at a slightly less speed.