Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter

I got a proper kicking in the early 80s at Bramhall Lane. Bolton had won 5-1 and the locals were less than happy. I'd bought a new pair of jeans from Stolen from Ivor on way to coach and changed into them en route. Fucking wankers left me with no knees in the fuckers by the time I'd got back to coach.

It would be fashionable these days!

jan 1978, one of the best away performances in my history of watching bolton

loads of trouble inside and outside  of the ground

• Members

I got a proper kicking in the early 80s at Bramhall Lane. Bolton had won 5-1 and the locals were less than happy. I'd bought a new pair of jeans from Stolen from Ivor on way to coach and changed into them en route. Fucking wankers left me with no knees in the fuckers by the time I'd got back to coach.

It would be fashionable these days!

Remember a blinding goal in that one by Peter Nicholson. Funnily enough, no trouble at all for me at that one but previous games there had their moments. I remember a coach getting bricked - every window out with us all lying on the floor and the dickhead driver went around the block again to see who had done it to encounter another shower of half house bricks. Mind might be playing tricks on me but the driver definitely got a slap for going around again off one of our lot and it may well have been a very well known Bolton lad who did it.

On another occasion, my first time at Bramhall Lane as a wet behind the ears teenager, three of us arrived late and missed the kick off and asked a copper which was the away end. Bastard only sent us into their end. We came up some steps right in the middle of their mob and had to play it cool and slowly make our way to the fringes before having to walk all the way round the fucking cricket ground to get to where we should be.

Sheffield coppers have always been bastards.

was sheffield one a ground with only 3 stands due to the cricket

like northampton?

Yes, built the main stand in the early 70's on it which nearly bankrupted them, similar thing happened to Chelsea.

For many years Bramhall Lane was the one of the 7 grounds to have hosted Test cricket in England.

• Site Supporter

like northampton?

Yes, built the main stand in the early 70's on it which nearly bankrupted them, similar thing happened to Chelsea.

For many years Bramhall Lane was the one of the 7 grounds to have hosted Test cricket in England.

Did they only have three stands again when we played them in a League Cup game, the year we got to final v Liverpool. I think Nathan Blake was playing for them.

Ipswich Town (A) was the only game in that run I missed because I was on honeymoon.

• Site Supporter

Remember a blinding goal in that one by Peter Nicholson. Funnily enough, no trouble at all for me at that one but previous games there had their moments. I remember a coach getting bricked - every window out with us all lying on the floor and the dickhead driver went around the block again to see who had done it to encounter another shower of half house bricks. Mind might be playing tricks on me but the driver definitely got a slap for going around again off one of our lot and it may well have been a very well known Bolton lad who did it.

On another occasion, my first time at Bramhall Lane as a wet behind the ears teenager, three of us arrived late and missed the kick off and asked a copper which was the away end. Bastard only sent us into their end. We came up some steps right in the middle of their mob and had to play it cool and slowly make our way to the fringes before having to walk all the way round the fucking cricket ground to get to where we should be.

Sheffield coppers have always been bastards.

No trouble for me either that day, fantastic performance by the lads. Season before was a cracking game too, just before Christmas, was rough as fuck afterwards though.... wish I had a tardis to go back, great days!!

Did they only have three stands again when we played them in a League Cup game, the year we got to final v Liverpool. I think Nathan Blake was playing for them.

Ipswich Town (A) was the only game in that run I missed because I was on honeymoon.

Yes the John Street Stand opposite was closed on safety grounds for a while. I think the redevelopment was funded by taking Howard Kendall's empties back to the off licence.

• Members

like northampton?

It was sir and believe me, it was a decent walk getting round to our lot!

The 'fourth side' which wasn't if you get my drift, was a very low terrace of about 5 shallow concrete steps if my memory serves me well.

Wasn't Feethams the same?

• Members

No trouble for me either that day, fantastic performance by the lads. Season before was a cracking game too, just before Christmas, was rough as fuck afterwards though.... wish I had a tardis to go back, great days!!

That was the Ian Greaves era wasn't it? Late 70's?

We had some magnificent performances around that time. It all turned around for me when Jimmy Armfield was appointed in 1972 (?) and we seemed to be on the gradual up from there until we plummeted to the fourth division and the next big turnaround was winning the Sherpa Van trophy before the real glory years came around.

• Moderators

It was sir and believe me, it was a decent walk getting round to our lot!

The 'fourth side' which wasn't if you get my drift, was a very low terrace of about 5 shallow concrete steps if my memory serves me well.

Wasn't Feethams the same?

only did darlington twice

both midweek, in the space of a week

by then it was 4 sides