Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I always considered Blackburn rivals even though we only had one or two fans at school and that was only because of their title win. Always a notch below Utd but the FA Cup games and the promotion challenge under Sam were massive games. That said, there was a significant spell in the Prem - particularly when the reciprocal £15 deal ended - where it felt like just another game. The spark only came back in the Championship with the Eagles winner, the 4-0 win etc, and even then I wouldn’t say it matched the edge of the Wigan games (and not much different to those sparingly few league games against Bury)

That goal by Stuart Holden whilst Rovers fans were still directing their celebrations towards us in the WSL was one of the finest moments at t’Reebok. 

16 hours ago, green genie said:

FiL took us to Strawberry Duck first time visited and told me how it was a haunt on Sundays as Blackburn had longer hours 

It's the StrawbUry Duck named after Roger Duxbury (black sheep of the Yates Duxbury paper mill family near Bury) when he bought then renamed what was the Station Pub in Entwistle after himself.

Locals had always called the Station "the Strawberry" as the workers in the cotton mill (now under Wayoh reservoir) grew strawbs in the field at the side. Roger wanted to call it the Strawbury and his missus wanted to call it the Duck so they compromised on the Strawbury Duck.

Historically there were absolutely ZERO Blackburn fans in the Turton/Edworth/Chapeltown/Entwistle area despite the LGA of 1974 changing the boundaries to include a lot of it in Blackburn - it was always Bolton through and through with the Edgworth bus service based at Moor Lane, kids born in Townley's and folk shopping in Bolton. The Old Bolts ground in Chapeltown hosted Bolton v Blackburn matches as far back as the 1830s - often 20 a side before the league rules were adopted - and the Wanderers name is said in some quarters to have come from the team moving from there to Pike's Lane etc so that the fans didn't have as far to travel.

Only when Rovers bought the Prem title in the 90s did the first Rovers fans start to appear in the area.

I've always advocated folk supporting their home town team so I can't complain about the new generation supporting Rovers - even though the area was part of Bolton until the Government meddled.

14 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Folk going on like Atalanta are like some dog and duck team.

Their record in Europe is decent and they are from a strong as fuck league.

Cane e Anatra

Strong as fuck league :D :D :D 

16 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Folk going on like Atalanta are like some dog and duck team.

Their record in Europe is decent and they are from a strong as fuck league.

only a handful on here have a clue mate

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I always considered Blackburn rivals even though we only had one or two fans at school and that was only because of their title win. Always a notch below Utd but the FA Cup games and the promotion challenge under Sam were massive games. That said, there was a significant spell in the Prem - particularly when the reciprocal £15 deal ended - where it felt like just another game. The spark only came back in the Championship with the Eagles winner, the 4-0 win etc, and even then I wouldn’t say it matched the edge of the Wigan games (and not much different to those sparingly few league games against Bury)

I remember the games you refer to in the Prem years when playing Blackburn didn't seem like a big deal at all, with small away followings at both grounds.  But the same was true of Wigan, they used to bring about 1k.  I remember when Rodrigo scored one of his few goals for us (2010-11), we drew 1-1 on a freezing night.  Attendance 18,852.  Average attendance for the season 22k, the only other crowd under 20k was Birmingham.  Playing Wigan was viewed the same way as Birmingham or Charlton, didn't even feel like an important game.  Obviously that's all changed now.

36 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I remember the games you refer to in the Prem years when playing Blackburn didn't seem like a big deal at all, with small away followings at both grounds.  But the same was true of Wigan, they used to bring about 1k.  I remember when Rodrigo scored one of his few goals for us (2010-11), we drew 1-1 on a freezing night.  Attendance 18,852.  Average attendance for the season 22k, the only other crowd under 20k was Birmingham.  Playing Wigan was viewed the same way as Birmingham or Charlton, didn't even feel like an important game.  Obviously that's all changed now.

Tbf if we’re using that yard stick, in 2013/14 we got 17,541 against Blackburn and 18,853 against Wigan 

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Tbf if we’re using that yard stick, in 2013/14 we got 17,541 against Blackburn and 18,853 against Wigan 

They were biggish crowds for that season, most crowds were around 15k including Blackpool.  Just had a look at fixtures and I may as well have missed that season for all the impact it had on me.  I'd forgotten how detached I'd become from the club in that period.  Went to the games, came home, moved on, it was routine and lacking passion, even winning 5-1 at Leeds felt relatively flat.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Blackburn are THE rivals and must be beaten at every opportunity. Even their women's teams and kids teams need putting in their place

Certainly up there.

With the effluent coasters, Burnley and Bury's second team- Bury!

The Manchester clubs obviously, but we don't play them too often.

5 minutes ago, Ani said:

Hope people are following the implosions at the top of the Championship.

Promotion chases are never straightforward 

Hopefully its made Derby even more edgy for their games against teams they "should" beat!