Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

I'd think £2.2m in grants to land a big industrial estate makes more sense than £300k for a city centre office

I'd expect that £2.2m to be brought back in relatively quickly in terms of rates

Then you have the fact it will be bringing much needed employment in the area

Anyone who thinks that councils shouldn't be incentivising businesses to come into the area with special deals like this is being a little naive IMO

Got duck all to do with the net worth of the owner of Peel etc

• Site Supporter

Maybe I am nieve but if it was illegal to incentivise companies through the public purse in this way then the companies would build them where it made logical sense to and councils would have more money.

If Bolton are doing this then I assume so are Wigan, Chorley, Bury, Trafford, etc so all it ends up with is tax payers money competing with tax payers mone - how mad is that!?

• Site Supporter

I'd think £2.2m in grants to land a big industrial estate makes more sense than £300k for a city centre office

I'd expect that £2.2m to be brought back in relatively quickly in terms of rates

Then you have the fact it will be bringing much needed employment in the area

Anyone who thinks that councils shouldn't be incentivising businesses to come into the area with special deals like this is being a little naive IMO

Got duck all to do with the net worth of the owner of Peel etc

Take your point, but it would be better to spend the money making the town more business friendly, making infrastructure better, improving facilities for potential employees.

Agree with winchester. This sort of behaviour should not be permitted. If central government gave a pot of money specifically for this on top normal funding then you could understand it- so long as it was done openly.

• Site Supporter

I fully understand the need for a council to incentivise businesses.

I also understand that not every single decision made in the town hall can be voted on by the public.

However, any spend over £100k or so should be subject to full council approval.

A spend of £2million + given in secret is fucking corrupt, plain and simple.

If that fat fuck isn't gone by summer, preferably due to his health, I'll be amazed.

Maybe I am nieve but if it was illegal to incentivise companies through the public purse in this way then the companies would build them where it made logical sense to and councils would have more money.

If Bolton are doing this then I assume so are Wigan, Chorley, Bury, Trafford, etc so all it ends up with is tax payers money competing with tax payers mone - how mad is that!?

spot on

I fully understand the need for a council to incentivise businesses.

I also understand that not every single decision made in the town hall can be voted on by the public.

However, any spend over £100k or so should be subject to full council approval.

A spend of £2million + given in secret is fucking corrupt, plain and simple.

If that fat fuck isn't gone by summer, preferably due to his health, I'll be amazed.

Yep. Nailed it. A council is voted in to make decisions and can't put every decision out for public approval, however, the secrecy issue absolutely fucking stinks

The museum is apparently having its egyptolology section revamped. Image how far the £2.5m could go in improving the museum, libraries etc

It's £3.8 million for a totally new look Museum. This is from Capital funding, revenue from a touring exhibition and money from Eddie Davies as well as other local sponsors. 

The gallery will include a darkened 'belief' section focusing on the afterlife which will be an interactive walk-through with a full-size recreation of the tomb of Thutmose III, plus a revamped Rotunda.

I like the sound of the 'reflections' section which ponders on the similarities of Ancient Egyptians and Boltonians!

The idea is to drive national and international tourism into one of the most extensive collections of Egyptology in the UK. The concept visuals look pretty good.