Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Donald Dead Cat On Is Head Trump

little whitt

Unfortunately this is the real world if the state cannot afford to pay you have 2 options 1 you take out insurance or you only receive a basic level of healthcare provided by the state, its a matter of time before that is the case here in the UK, it is time our government started the discussion about this issue, all employees should pay a % of their wages for health care the same as pensions with employers and government also having to chip in.      

Take away peoples coverage under the ACA and they receive no healthcare from the state.

The state can afford to pay. Or we could all pay a little more tax.

But the government is constrained by Cameron's manifesto pledge. Even a minor change to NI to match enhanced benefits was withdrawn.

We might get away with not increasing for the NHS but if for any reason we are going to go over a cliff hard decisions will be required.

I'm not sure how it played out but didn't both Surrey & Merseyside councils look at a public vote in favour of increasing council tax to support social care and ease the burden on the NHS?

Last I heard the populations of both areas were not in favour of paying more tax but they may have been persuaded otherwise?

I think you would find that generally there isn't support for higher tax rates to fund the NHS. The government has spent the past few years reducing the tax burden particularly on the low income households with the basic rate tax free allowance rising from £6k to £12k in a short period of time

Any additional money would need to come out of what's currently coming in which would mean reducing other areas such as Education or Welfare (the two other biggest areas), again both of these departments are also stretched

A lot of the burden on the NHS is coming from the aging population, increase state pension to 70-75 perhaps?

We've almost always ran at a deficit

The ageing population and more expensive treatments means governent needs to rethink how it continues to fund it, just borrowing more money isn't the answer unless you listen to the likes of Corbyn.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members

A lot of the burden on the NHS is coming from the aging population, increase state pension to 70-75 perhaps?

Owd on a minute. Have these people not paid in for all of their working lives and deserve whatever they need out of it?

My Dad started work at 15

I started properly working at 23, so in one generation an 8 year gap.

Big decisions need to be made on pensions -  they should probably depoliticise this as no govt wants that hung round their neck (right people you cant retire until you're 70)

Owd on a minute. Have these people not paid in for all of their working lives and deserve whatever they need out of it?

Some have, some haven't. Mrs Sweeps auntie has reaches pension age this August....never worked a single day in her life. Same as her 93yr old nan, who worked for a couple of years during the war, other than that, never had a job because she's never needed to

Anyroad. The FBI bloke has made Donald look an even bigger prick.

I was watching that live last night on Fox News. Fascinating stuff.

Anyhow, Fox news, it's hilarious. We wouldn't get away with that sort of thing in the UK. No wonder Americans are a bit odd if that's mainstream news on the TV.

It's obviously not enough and no one wants 2 tier healthcare but if the state can't afford to pay then I can't see any alternative.

It is a tough one but surely cuts can be made in other areas; increases in NI contributions for higher salaries, more profitable Co's etc?  This is what makes my piss boil when you see large Co's basically getting a free tax ride. 

Also, (and I'm not sure what the state of play is exactly on this) can we not make any non Uk citizen pay for their treatment?  Leaving the EU, in theory, should be a positive for our HS?

I'm all for the Robin Hood methodology though   :D   What goes round and all that . . .

He's blaming the democrats for not voting for it.

What a cock

Trump thought he could steamroll his whole agenda though Congress in the same way he rules his business empire, with an iron fist, but he is clearly getting frustrated with the constant setbacks. The more this happens the more i believe this will be a one term presidency (if it lasts that long)

Obama care not working so let's hope that all see sense and a better healthcare option is devised by Trump and the bill gets passed, funny how folk mocking trump over this proposed healthcare reform just because it's his bill some folk need to grow up this is about people's health and if it's better option than Obama care I hope it gets passed.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members

Obama care not working so let's hope that all see sense and a better healthcare option is devised by Trump and the bill gets passed, funny how folk mocking trump over this proposed healthcare reform just because it's his bill some folk need to grow up this is about people's health and if it's better option than Obama care I hope it gets passed.

.....and those mockers have probably not picked up on the political nuance meaning that this whole thing has been a win-win for Trump. November 2018 elections for the US Senate. I wonder how Trump will be able to mobilise his support to affect this one?