Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Footballers Abused As Trainees

Ani

Nobody is saying he can't say what he thinks. He's not going to get arrested for it.

What he said was cuntish though, do you think it wasn't?

I don't particularly like Bristow and don't agree with what he said, I think it was the way they wheeled him out and battered him on live TV, then again I can't stand pierce Morgan either he's a bigger cunt than Bristow, they should have just ignored him and not put him on TV. He's a right to his opinion just leave it at that. There seems to be one way to think and if you don't think the same way your hung out to dry.

I was thinking about this on the way into work this morning. It's becoming apparent that noncing was quite widespread in a lot of places in the 70's. Do you reckon Britain is/was worse than most other similarly developed countries? Or are we just a lot better at looking at ourselves and supporting the victims?

I remember back in the late 70's and early 80's, even our ice cream man was a pervert. His name was Scotty and if you lived around the Leigh area you would probably remember him back then. If you went to buy an ice cream etc from him and you were on your own, on numerous occasions he would serve you with his cock hanging out and it didn't matter if you were a boy or girl. Funnily enough, I would only buy a tub of ice cream from him, never a cornet!

Edited by Blondi

• Moderators

Since Soham the education sector has really got their teeth into prevention...

I daresay a historic wave could be uncovered, but I think that wouldn't come as a surprise, most kids of my era have a school nonce(s) story, ones with foundation an' all.

There'll probably be the odd new case in the future but these will be in spite of the very best efforts of almost everyone in the sector (education).

the thing I don't get though - is that like with Bennell, like with priests, and like with Saville - people knew, despite the "cover ups" / denial / ignorance from Crewe, the Chruch and the BBC

I understand Saville to a degree because of who he was and people were scared of his power and influence

same to a degree with the church, seems there were a fair few cases where parents knew but didn't want to rock the boat (or upset god) and kept their mouths shut

but in that article, parents at a match in cheadle, 30 miles away, knew about his reputation and would kick him out of games - so how come enough people knew who didn't need to protect him, but he was able to carry on - was it because no kids came forward the cops weren't allowed to do anything?  if the stories were so widespread, before the rumours spread someone must told someone something, then not acted on it, or so it seems to me

Edited by ZicoKelly

the thing I don't get though - is that like with Bennell, like with priests, and like with Saville - people knew, despite the "cover ups" / denial / ignorance from Crewe, the Chruch and the BBC

I understand Saville to a degree because of who he was and people were scared of his power and influence

same to a degree with the church, seems there were a fair few cases where parents knew but didn't want to rock the boat (or upset god) and kept their mouths shut

but in that article, parents at a match in cheadle, 30 miles away, knew about his reputation and would kick him out of games - so how come enough people knew who didn't need to protect him, but he was able to carry on - was it because no kids came forward the cops weren't allowed to do anything?  if the stories were so widespread, before the rumours spread someone must told someone something, then not acted on it, or so it seems to me

There was one hospital in Yorkshire where Savile had been accused of something improper. The Matron said there was no way he would ever be allowed to set foot in her hospital, no matter how many millions it might cost them.

There was one hospital in Yorkshire where Savile had been accused of something improper. The Matron said there was no way he would ever be allowed to set foot in her hospital, no matter how many millions it might cost them.

That's why Thatcher got rid of the matrons from wards. That and carry on films.

• Site Supporter

They should have got darts players to twat them

Remember at primary school- mine was small, but with the involvement of dads giving up there time for nowt we had a tremendous football team. Great times.

Now no one involved and football training occurs after school almost as an afterthought.

It's all about wider involvement today, ufortunately. Sport is very much an afterthought too, couple together and most schools PE activities are shite to say the least.

but in that article, parents at a match in cheadle, 30 miles away, knew about his reputation and would kick him out of games - so how come enough people knew who didn't need to protect him, but he was able to carry on - was it because no kids came forward the cops weren't allowed to do anything? if the stories were so widespread, before the rumours spread someone must told someone something, then not acted on it, or so it seems to me

There's a lot better in the way of whistleblowing procedure and provision these days...Perhaps in the past people simply didn't know where to go or what to do? Any who knew and wilfully went along or turned a blind eye not due to the above has the mark of cain on them in my book, hopefully they'll carry guilt to their graves.

• Site Supporter

A lad I went to school with (year above me) was on the BBC today. Fucking hell. He was a very good footballer and was signed to Newcastle at 18 where he was abused. Now some will say he was an adult but he lived only for football so was really nieve for his age.

There is a lot to come obviously, not just from football but all sports clubs, especially where the evil scum could get them alone on the pretence of a ligitmate purpose. Then there are other organisations such as Scouts, Cadets and youth clubs etc. Fucking loads.

A lad I went to school with (year above me) was on the BBC today. Fucking hell. He was a very good footballer and was signed to Newcastle at 18 where he was abused. Now some will say he was an adult but he lived only for football so was really nieve for his age.

There is a lot to come obviously, not just from football but all sports clubs, especially where the evil scum could get them alone on the pretence of a ligitmate purpose. Then there are other organisations such as Scouts, Cadets and youth clubs etc. Fucking loads.

Dave Eatock? Remember him playing at Leigh RMI when he left Newcastle.

Scouts always seemed dodgy to me so stayed well clear. In our last year of junior school in 1970 we were taken on a weekend youth hosteling trip to Colwyn Bay. The new headmaster brought along a mate who happened to be a scoutmaster and a linesman who ran the line in many a top division fixture, naturally us lads thought he was royalty.

Looking back it now seems a touch dodgy that he insisted on physically checking that none of us boys wore our underpants in our bunks.