Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Footballers Abused As Trainees

Ani

When I worked in Crewe for BT there were rumours of Dario's fondness for the young lads.

I think Gradi has always said that coaching 15y-o players and seeing them improve gave him more satisfaction than having a first team a division or more above their accepted status

And there are great many ManU/Liverpool/etc castoffs who made the grade at Crewe, and are forever grateful to Gradi.

If it transpires that he was complicit it really would be awful.

I think Gradi has always said that coaching 15y-o players and seeing them improve gave him more satisfaction than having a first team a division or more above their accepted status

And there are great many ManU/Liverpool/etc castoffs who made the grade at Crewe, and are forever grateful to Gradi.

If it transpires that he was complicit it really would be awful.

Not looking good.

Gradi and Crewe firmly backed Bennel after his Florida arrest in 1994. 

Not looking good.

Gradi and Crewe firmly backed Bennel after his Florida arrest in 1994. 

Was an article in Mail today interview with former Crewe and then Man United youth player, Matthew Monaghan. He says Dario Gradi took young him (and others) in his car to Bennell's house where they were abused. He doesn't say Gradi was directly involved but it's getting harder for him (and Crewe) to deny knowledge of what was going on surely? Especially as Bennell was already notorious by late 80's early 90's, he was banned by local leagues in Manchester and theres accounts of him being chased off and attacked by parents when he turned up to matches. And Crewe didn't know or want to know?

• Moderators

BBC and Catholic Church all over again

Institutionally turning a blind eye

Seems to be becoming the norm though rather than specific groups

Collectively I bet the education system has a lot to answer for as well

And more likely the cubs and scouts lot

I didn't agree with anything Bristow said but surely he's still got a right to say what he thinks, he comes from a different time and that's the way people dealt with things. The interview was cringe worthy and anyone would have thought he'd abused the kids himself. We are getting to a point where if you don't toe the party line you are a bigot racist homophobic are God knows what else.

I didn't agree with anything Bristow said but surely he's still got a right to say what he thinks, he comes from a different time and that's the way people dealt with things. The interview was cringe worthy and anyone would have thought he'd abused the kids himself. We are getting to a point where if you don't toe the party line you are a bigot racist homophobic are God knows what else.

Of course he has a right to say as he thinks fit.

And Sky have the right to dispense with his services.

• Moderators

He exercised that right as well, no one has disputed that

People can react how they see fit and sky chose to fuck him off, some were offended, some weren't arsed

That's freedom of speech

Say as you see it

But prepare to accept the consequences

Hes apologised now anyway

I didn't agree with anything Bristow said but surely he's still got a right to say what he thinks

Nobody is saying he can't say what he thinks. He's not going to get arrested for it.

What he said was cuntish though, do you think it wasn't?

• Moderators

Nobody is saying he can't say what he thinks. He's not going to get arrested for it.

What he said was cuntish though, do you think it wasn't?

There's the chance that calling people poofs is a hate crime.

You can't just say what you think, especially if you are a massive cunt. And those critising him are also "just saying what they think".

Seems to be becoming the norm though rather than specific groups

Collectively I bet the education system has a lot to answer for as well...

Since Soham the education sector has really got their teeth into prevention...

I daresay a historic wave could be uncovered, but I think that wouldn't come as a surprise, most kids of my era have a school nonce(s) story, ones with foundation an' all.

There'll probably be the odd new case in the future but these will be in spite of the very best efforts of almost everyone in the sector (education).

Regarding volunteering with kids, it's one of modernity's great tragedies that normal folk are shit scared at worst, or apprehensive at least (of being seen as some nonce type figure), of getting involved and stuck in (ooer!) with children and young people, when good people get involved in stuff the likes of Barry Bennell types having carte-blanche greatly diminish.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

Since Soham the education sector has really got their teeth into prevention...

I daresay a historic wave could be uncovered, but I think that wouldn't come as a surprise, most kids of my era have a school nonce(s) story, ones with foundation an' all.

There'll probably be the odd new case in the future but these will be in spite of the very best efforts of almost everyone in the sector (education).

Regarding volunteering with kids, it's one of modernity's great tragedies that normal folk are shit scared at worst, or apprehensive at least (of being seen as some nonce type figure), of getting involved and stuck in (ooer!) with children and young people, when good people get involved in stuff the likes of Barry Bennell types having carte-blanche greatly diminish.

Remember at primary school- mine was small, but with the involvement of dads giving up there time for nowt we had a tremendous football team. Great times.

Now no one involved and football training occurs after school almost as an afterthought.