Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

Fuck me, bar uber-crock Clayton non of those players featured much in the league. When they did it was almost exclusively used as subs.

Long played 10 games - 427 mins @ av 43 mins per game

Woolery - 24 games - 788 mins @ 32 mins per game

Walker - 5 games - 196 mins @ av 40 mins per game

I couldn't be arsed looking beyond those.

I'm not sure your claims holds much water, in fact sounds like its come direct from the "Diddles book of football theory".

To be fair, he said we've had plenty of strikers with pace (which they all have) who have contributed nothing  -  whether they played or not is irrelevant, we still had them on the books, which I think is the point that Eavesy was making

To be fair, he said we've had plenty of strikers with pace (which they all have) who have contributed nothing - whether they played or not is irrelevant, we still had them on the books, which I think is the point that Eavesy was making

Indeed.

And when they did play. We didn’t use any of em to any effect whatsoever.

Indeed.

And when they did play. We didn’t use any of em to any effect whatsoever.

Hang on you said "we don’t know how to create attacks that ‘use pace’" But we've hardly given it much of a chance have we?

You also said we've had plenty of strikers that had had pace, and i countered that they didn't play much. So its not as if we've toyed with adapting our approach beyond using a big lump upfront.

That option has hardly been an overwhelming success. We've created fuck all chances generally in the last two season, we got promoted from a poor L1 scoring only 68 goals, but had a very solid defence. This season past we've been shit up front and in defence.

Hang on you said "we don’t know how to create attacks that ‘use pace’" But we've hardly given it much of a chance have we?

You also said we've had plenty of strikers that had had pace, and i countered that they didn't play much. So its not as if we've toyed with adapting our approach beyond using a big lump upfront.

That option has hardly been an overwhelming success. We've created fuck all chances generally in the last two season, we got promoted from a poor L1 scoring only 68 goals, but had a very solid defence. This season past we've been shit up front and in defence.

We’ve given it plenty of chances.

We had half a season last season to change. We didn’t.

We had a streak of matches without madine in year before.

We didn’t change.

We’ve brought in pace before and we haven’t adapted in either matches or training. 7 players to choose from to change things. Never changed.

We didn’t change.

We’ve brought in pace before and we haven’t adapted in either matches or training. 7 players to choose from to change things. Never changed.

Fuck it, this is my last post on the subject but you've massively contradicted yourself.

Have we or haven't we given it a chance/changed it or not?

Fuck it, this is my last post on the subject but you've massively contradicted yourself.

Have we or haven't we given it a chance/changed it or not?

We’ve had the options. Thrown em in. And not changed our style.

FWIW I won't be despairing too much if we do pick up Donaldson on a freebie, just yet.

At 34 he'll be on relative cheap wages and is a young and slightly more mobile option to Wilby. I assume he'll be one of at least two/three forwards we sign up.

We’ve had the options. Thrown em in. And not changed our style.

So its not a case of us not knowing "how to create attacks that ‘use pace'" more a case of us simply bypassing the option by lumping it forward.

JSL

Edited by jimmyjoojar

• Moderators

Forest he had to stoop

Sheff wed, good header

For me, it's not whether they can jump, it's where the ball is hit

Chest height is one thing, just under the floodlights, another completely

Forest he had to stoop

Sheff wed, good header

For me, it's not whether they can jump, it's where the ball is hit

Chest height is one thing, just under the floodlights, another completely

Well that’s one variable

It’s also about fitness; positioning, strength, reading the game, winning your personal battle, touch, then awareness

And more I’m sure

We didn’t change.

We didn’t have the quality in the right areas. Having someone shite like Walker who is quick is useless. We lacked pace and quality all season and it still comes back to a midfield of Henry, Pratley and Vela is never going to produce anything other than attritional football.

Oztumer is potentially the sort of player you need to build a team around that plays less direct and more creatively. Other pieces clearly needed.

But this is the first chance Parky has had here to build a team where we weren’t begging the league to let us sign player or scrabbling round the back of Ken’s sofa. So let’s see what turns up.

For two seasons we had players that suited a certain game. Losing the pinnacle of that didn’t help. But now we can see what Parky builds with some resources and a free hand. He’s certainly not going for the same types so far is he?

Wilbraham was woeful at winning long balls from what I could see

At Leeds and Burton away I recall him struggling to get his feet off the grass

Doesn’t say much for Donaldson if he’s worse

Lies. He was amazing every game and should have got a knighthood.

Who’re these 3 yoof we’ve apparently signed?

Johnson was injured for the first half of last season. By the time he was fit his Arsenal u23 right back place had gone elsewhere.

He had at least one u23 outing for Blackburn. Whether that is coincidence or whether he wants to be in NW I don't know.