Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

33 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

Luton fans seem to really like him still. A lot saying they don’t want him to leave. Even at 36 he’s still pretty quick. Nlundulu, Charles, Adeboyejo, Jerome is a massively improved frontline from where we started the season although I wish Bodvarsson was still fit.

I desperately don’t want to lose Johnston though unless we can unearth a left footed Toal. Aimson makes more sense to me… 6 months left, has been in and out of the team and performances in recent weeks have probably meant we can get 100-200k for him. Whereas before this run we’d have probably got no fee. If Johnston is going to a team like Stoke (I’ve seen West Brom linked too) then it would have to be 7 figures for me… with his age, the fact he’s a left footed cb and the team/s interested. Makes no sense to sell for less. Dapo wasn’t in the best form and out of position in a system that didn’t suit him. Johnston has been one of our best players this season and it isn’t easy to find good left footed centre backs.

Aimson has 5 months left on his deal. We won't get a penny. 

6 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Aimson has 5 months left on his deal. We won't get a penny. 

What you think we’d just let him go for free after he’s been playing? We’d just keep him as a squad player and run his deal down if we get nothing. It’s not like he’s a bad egg kicking up a fuss or on good money. We’ll get something for him or we wouldn’t be letting him go. 

58 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

Aimson … 6 months left, has been in and out of the team and performances in recent weeks have probably meant we can get 100-200k for him. Whereas before this run we’d have probably got no fee. 

If he is a 3rd tier player with 6 months left and it's Exeter we're not getting anything significant.

Johnson, in the current situation, we should be keeping, until May anyway.

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

What you think we’d just let him go for free after he’s been playing? We’d just keep him as a squad player and run his deal down if we get nothing. It’s not like he’s a bad egg kicking up a fuss or on good money. We’ll get something for him or we wouldn’t be letting him go. 

Anything we did get would be nominal.

Maybe a bag of balls.

The single most important thing this year is promotion and whilst I could understand the Dapo thing, allowing Johnson to go now unless it’s an absolutely incredible deal would just be plain stupid, especially with Iredale injured, Beck back to Liverpool and John isolated. Aimson I can see going and also possibly MJ, Sheehan and Isgrove but losing Aimson and Johnson would be catastrophic without incomings.

1 hour ago, Stevowanderer said:

They'll take over his contract like we're doing with Jerome. 

37 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

They'll take over his contract like we're doing with Jerome. 

It’s a different situation though. Jerome… at 36 has zero resale value. Aimson is 28 and has been in the team every week since the start of December. You don’t just let someone leave for free when he’s been playing…and he’ll be signing for longer than 6 months at Exeter giving him at least some potential resale value. Unless you know something I don’t … I think there will be at least a nominal fee. Otherwise we’d keep to the summer especially with the interest in George Johnston? 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tommy9322 said:

Stoke are apparently selling Souttar for £12m-£15m so hopefully we get every penny we can out of them. 

makes you wonder what we could get for some of our younger players if we could get into the championship and stay there for a couple of years

12 minutes ago, Plums said:

Reckon we’ll get a tune out of him. Just need a ‘Robson’ type midfielder to form a good partnership 

I have been in the 'midfield bastard' camp for a while and whilst think it would be good Dempsey is stepping up way beyond what we had seen previously. Him and Morley look great together.