Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

40 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

They're the top three Lancs derbies for me. The big city clubs who are nearby are bonuses and generally out of our orbit. Blackpool comes close to that bracket but not quite and I hate playing them. Wigan - others have articulated. 

When we start recording wins against Burnley, PNE and Blackburn then we really can say Bolton are back. And hopefully we can push on further from there.

Yeah, that’s pretty much where I’m at. As much as it sticks in the throat, you have to say that the pair of East Lancs Dingles and Nob End are the yardstick to aim at and eventually surpass.

41 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

They're the top three Lancs derbies for me. The big city clubs who are nearby are bonuses and generally out of our orbit. Blackpool comes close to that bracket but not quite and I hate playing them. Wigan - others have articulated. 

When we start recording wins against Burnley, PNE and Blackburn then we really can say Bolton are back. And hopefully we can push on further from there.

Yes Paul it seems a long time since all our stars aligned and we were in the same league so let’s hope it happens next year.

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Not arsed about PNE one bit. Preston a good day out, mind.

Don’t care what anyone says but none of those games have anything close to the edge of the games against Wigan. 

I tend to agree. I left Bloomfield Road, only marginally disappointed and quite impressed with the backing Blackpool fans, as few as there were, gave their team. I can't ever see Wigan in any kind of positive light. They're a team of c*nts, managed by a c*nt and supported by c*nts! 

If it were to happen, playing Burnley next year would be damn scary. Thanks to Topsy-turvy Coyle, we're now 10 years behind them.

12 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Don’t care what anyone says but none of those games have anything close to the edge of the games against Wigan. 

Losing to Wigan feels worse than losing to anyone else for me.  But if we beat Blackburn or Burnley I'd get a lot more satisfaction and pride than beating Wigan.  Even if we win its just a feeling of relief, thank god that's out of the way, it still feels like a tinpot game.  When the fixtures come out, whatever division we're in, I'd look forward to the Lancashire derbies, I don't look forward to Wigan one bit. 

1 hour ago, Traf said:

Yeah, that’s pretty much where I’m at. As much as it sticks in the throat, you have to say that the pair of East Lancs Dingles and Nob End are the yardstick to aim at and eventually surpass.

The thing is it's very do-able. Being so obviously biased I'd say we are a slightly bigger club than all three of them. The years ahead hopefully involve us proving that, which is a decent prospect to have on the horizon.

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Yes Paul it seems a long time since all our stars aligned and we were in the same league so let’s hope it happens next year.

I think it was 2000/01 in big Sam's promotion season. Four points off Burnley, six off PNE but only one off Blackburn. 

You have to go back a long, long time before that for a further example of all four being in the same division.

Edited by paulhanley

Spent 20 years of my life living in Wigan ( thankfully moved 7 years ago ), living there coincided with them rising the leagues and eventually getting to the premier league. In the early days they were never on the radar and with my kids going to school and playing football at weekends it was ok. There was no rivalry and I was  interested in there journey, but as soon as they reached the premier league things changed, kids started to pick up on it at school, can’t describe how horrible it was and I guess wanderers fans who live in Blackpool, Blackburn and other towns nearby may have a similar experiences, it was just a f…..g depressing place to live.

• The topic was unpinned
1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I think it’s established it’s each to their own on this. Wigan does nowt for me and it never will, where for plenty they see it as a big one.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

Supposed to be the most talented player Ferdinand and Rooney said coming through at Utd.......Lost his way

All correct

But he's had more than enough opportunities to turn it round now

I think it's simply a case of our club's name being added to a bullshit transfer rumour