Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pray For Sweep

little whitt

• Members

Kinell, Pompey lad who works with me just got back from a week in Bali (attending his nieces wedding).

They stopped at a 'large car park with a couple of food outlets and a toilet block' en route to the wedding (Kuta to Sanur) and he went for a piss. A local accosted him and said 'Give me money'. When told to fuck off, he demanded 'Give me wallet now'. At the second 'fuck off' the would be mugger punched him in the side of the head and instantly got one back which knocked him over and Pompey laid the boot into his ribs a couple of times. Bloke jumped up and ran off.

It can happen anywhere.

Sounds like these were 'professional' thieves.

Waxed card, stolen passport.

How can you do it to another human being.

Cnuts trick of the highest order.

Wasn't mugged but had all my cash, Tc's, passport and what not stolen when in Thailand once and was in the south at the arse end of nowhere.

That was a fun few days!

Glad to hear you're almost sorted Sweep :) 

Out of interest was it Spanish folk or some other nationality that mugged you.

I didn't speak with them, so wouldn't know what their nationality they were. They were of African descent, that's about as much as I could tell you. 

Hope you're ok pal

Did they touch you in any inappropriate places?

Other than my nose being broken, and ribs being badly bruised, it appears not. 

Why you'd take your passport out with you God only knows. Hope your ok and get sorted, I hate stories like this.

I agree, it's something I never do, but we were pretty much straight out from the airport, so my passport was still in my travel wallet thingy, that was still in my pocket

The backstreets of Barcelona are as dodgy as it gets. Headbutt them first, ask questions later.

The people in the Consulate said as much, they said it's a serious issue for them, and it's getting worse and worse. The lady in the Consulate actually referred to it as an "industry" there. They new what they were doing, as my accounts were being rifled within a matter of minutes (Santander said 27 transactions across both cards within a 30-45 minute period, a mixture of contactless and "signed" transactions before their fraud department stopped them.....all money has already been refunded, and my new cards arrived his morning)

I think Mounts point may well be - who has stolen his passport - and for what means?

Surely a passport to a half-cut spic mugger is worthless?

It maybe that the mugger wasn't actually after my passport, just my money and cards....and just got the passport as an added bonus. The Consulate did confirm that there is a decent market and organised gangs pay decent money for passports. Apparently they will be looking for me to be "entering the UK" oin the next through weeks, generally through one of the sea ports, which is apparently their favoured way of entering.

Anyway, I have to say, the people in the Consulate, and an emergency travel document was produced within 2 hours of my appointment there. Sadly, the placed was rammed on Tuesday morning (it was closed on Monday for a Public Holiday) - it had been a very busy weekend for people being robbed. I spoke to one couple who had been held at knifepoint, and another couple who had their tyres slashed at traffic lights, and then a moped gang came a long and took their suitcases, so they had lost all their cash, cards, phones, clothes, passports etc - poor fuckers were devastated.

The good news is that I landed back yesterday morning and managed to get to Peterborough within a few hours and have a new passport that should be delivered within a week, so I can travel to Prague on Friday 6th for the weekend

Thanks to those who sent me messages and offers of help, it really helped. I must admit, it was feeling a bit low earlier this week, but all is OK now!!

Sounds like a terrible experience, regarding my question of nationality it was more to discover who to steer clear of over in Spain I have only ever had a problem at the Atletico Madrid game a few years back when my pocket was picked by Spanish, its a worry that more and more Africans are heading to Spain and it seems that many are hell bent on committing crime to survive. Any how good news your home and as bad as it was it could easily have been worse these fuckers would not think twice about stabbing you.          

Glad you're ok now.

Guess where I'm going to in 2 weeks........

:|

It'll be fine mate. 

In hindsight, we probably wandered a bit too far off the tourist track - you'll have a great time I'm sure. Just, as in any place really, especially one you don't know, keep your wits about you.....and make sure that if you do have your passport on you for some reason, it's at least in a separate place to your cards etc (unlike me)