Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Sweep said:

When I was ill with it the other week, I'd have happily tried anything

Not sure about you, 

but for me it was the fear of spreading it that was the worst part, more than the feeling like shite

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

Just seen the bit on sky news of how they and what they do. So it is standard practice with any vaccine?

A lot of them end up not working or having side effects so the more options you have the better. Ultimately it comes down to money, which is driven by demand. Who ever makes the best one for this is going to be mega rich. What usually happens is several safe but not so effective vaccines are developed first, and then they get refined and developed to be more effective with less side effects. 

3 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Figures from the first antibody tests showing that up to 50 times the number who knew they had the virus

Researchers from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine – Timothy Russel, Joel Hellewell, Sam Abbott and others – reach similar conclusions about the UK and Australia via a different method.15 They estimate the degree to which countries’ confirmed cases may underestimate total symptomatic cases by applying the case fatality rate (we explain this metric in detail here) observed in large studies in China and South Korea to data on the number of COVID-19 deaths in countries around the world.

They estimate that in Australia the number of confirmed cases reflect more than three quarters of the total number of symptomatic cases in the country. For the UK, they estimate that confirmed cases represent less than one in twenty symptomatic cases.16

As such, the gap between the UK and Australia in terms of the true number of infections is likely to be far higher than that indicated by their confirmed cases.

The intuition behind these researchers’ estimates is that where the number of confirmed cases looks low against the number of deaths, this is a clear indication that the true number of cases is likely to be much, much higher. But the fundamental reason for this is the limited extent of testing.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus#what-can-data-on-testing-tell-us-about-the-pandemic

Even without antigen testing these researchers estimated that with 100k positive tests in the UK there were 20 times as many who had had it, so 2 million.  

• Site Supporter

The missus has just come home and told us the dickhead of a doctor who coughed and spluttered on her during yesterday's shift (who was sent home after being called a dickhead repeatedly) has tested positive. Dickhead is a doctor and knew the signs but felt OK and wanted to help. Dickhead.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Aye definitely a dickhead

The missus is fiery and her boss was scared to tell her. To be fair to her she has took it in her stride and she expects to get it anyway but he is still a dickhead and always shall be.

We both have mild asthma but well controlled, hoping we skip the worst of the symptoms. 

47 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

The missus has just come home and told us the dickhead of a doctor who coughed and spluttered on her during yesterday's shift (who was sent home after being called a dickhead repeatedly) has tested positive. Dickhead is a doctor and knew the signs but felt OK and wanted to help. Dickhead.

The NHS is far from immune from dickheads sadly!

33 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

The missus is fiery and her boss was scared to tell her. To be fair to her she has took it in her stride and she expects to get it anyway but he is still a dickhead and always shall be.

We both have mild asthma but well controlled, hoping we skip the worst of the symptoms. 

I thought they were ok to be honest............oops, I thought you said The Simpsons. 

Hope you and your much better half are ok pal 👍🙏

Just now, RoadRunnerFan said:

I'm in the process of cleansing my innards of said malt loaf with alcohol. 

Neville is a weapons grade cnut.

And it must be said that I tend to be in broad agreement with you on most issues Mick. In spite of any opprobrium this may attract. 

Ha!!