Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Raise a Pint For Ted

Gonk

I've not seen anything posted on here, apologies if it has been.

I'm sure a large number of you will probably have known,  or known the force of nature that was Ted Hughes. 

He succumbed to Cancer on Saturday.

Prior to this, a just giving page was set up to raise a pint for Ted, chucking 3 quid in ( the price of a pint) with a photo fo you raising a glass to celebrate his 60th birthday which would have been early next month. His original £500 total was smashed in a couple of hours, so it was reset and smashed again and again. One of his final wishes was to see the total at £10,000. It currently stands around £7,500. Link to his story from the Bolton news, and his just giving page are below if anybody wants to raise a pint for Ted.

Thanks.

www.justgiving.com/fundraising/raiseapint

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/18610047.horwich-legend-raised-thousands-cancer-charity-dies-aged-59/?fbclid=IwAR1zZ2VxHyzqb6II_UqYAbIJy8vx82WMZeLUr6u5Tx3PMlE73DW_xu10Oo4

• The topic was pinned
1 hour ago, Gonk said:

I've not seen anything posted on here, apologies if it has been.

I'm sure a large number of you will probably have known,  or known the force of nature that was Ted Hughes. 

He succumbed to Cancer on Saturday.

Prior to this, a just giving page was set up to raise a pint for Ted, chucking 3 quid in ( the price of a pint) with a photo fo you raising a glass to celebrate his 60th birthday which would have been early next month. His original £500 total was smashed in a couple of hours, so it was reset and smashed again and again. One of his final wishes was to see the total at £10,000. It currently stands around £7,500. Link to his story from the Bolton news, and his just giving page are below if anybody wants to raise a pint for Ted.

Thanks.

www.justgiving.com/fundraising/raiseapint

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/18610047.horwich-legend-raised-thousands-cancer-charity-dies-aged-59/?fbclid=IwAR1zZ2VxHyzqb6II_UqYAbIJy8vx82WMZeLUr6u5Tx3PMlE73DW_xu10Oo4

I’d contributed before Ted passed. Didn’t spend a lot of time in his company but enough to know what a lovely bloke he was and how much he was loved by family and friends. RIP Ted. 

Never knew the fella but the words from you lot are good enough for me. Sounds a great mon. 

It was esophageal cancer that got my old man a couple of years ago so a worthy cause as well to me. Chucked a tenner in, not much but every little helps hopefully. 

RIP fellow white 

17 hours ago, boogs said:

Never knew the fella but the words from you lot are good enough for me. Sounds a great mon. 

It was esophageal cancer that got my old man a couple of years ago so a worthy cause as well to me. Chucked a tenner in, not much but every little helps hopefully. 

RIP fellow white 

Think I once read oesophageal cancer has the worst survival rate of all cancers, sorry to read about your Dad.

RIP Ted. 

3 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Think I once read oesophageal cancer has the worst survival rate of all cancers, sorry to read about your Dad.

RIP Ted. 

I'll be honest with you, I have never bothered to read up on it yet, even a couple of years later I'm still just pissed off with it. Twat of a disease. 

What I do know is, he showed no symptoms until a month before he died and we didn't know it was cancer until 3 days before he went. Mental couple of weeks when I think back though. Ever the practical thinker, his words to me and my brother just a few hours before he died were "if it has to happen, better this way than you having to watch me get more and more frail for months!". Not sure me mum sees it that way though. 

Not sure you needed to hear all that really but suppose my point is, cancer is an absolute cunt and if you can spare a few quid to this cause then please do. 

3 hours ago, boogs said:

I'll be honest with you, I have never bothered to read up on it yet, even a couple of years later I'm still just pissed off with it. Twat of a disease. 

What I do know is, he showed no symptoms until a month before he died and we didn't know it was cancer until 3 days before he went. Mental couple of weeks when I think back though. Ever the practical thinker, his words to me and my brother just a few hours before he died were "if it has to happen, better this way than you having to watch me get more and more frail for months!". Not sure me mum sees it that way though. 

Not sure you needed to hear all that really but suppose my point is, cancer is an absolute cunt and if you can spare a few quid to this cause then please do. 

Possibly why survival rates are so low if no symptoms until late on.

Never met Ted but happy to throw a tenner in the pot.