Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Drumming Bolton Into Your Children.

leigh white

18 hours ago, leigh white said:

I brainwashed mine at a very tender age of three going to Shrewsbury away in 90, bingo, 30 years later a NSL season ticket holder.

Snap; first game I took my lad was Shrewsbury away when he was 5. Not the same outcome because he really isn't into football after playing for Pershore Town under 11's

18 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Hopefully there will be one or two but doubt it

its good to see when the match bus pulls into little lever all young lads getting on most probably go same school which is good 

Little lever was always source of loads of Bolton fans when I was growing up. But like everywhere the proportion has diminished as the premier league big boys have become fashionable to follow. Was easier when DMB’s were winning it most years but since citeh became an Arabs play thing and in recent time the bin dippers have got good again this will further erode the number of whites coming through as kids 

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Little lever was always source of loads of Bolton fans when I was growing up. But like everywhere the proportion has diminished as the premier league big boys have become fashionable to follow. Was easier when DMB’s were winning it most years but since citeh became an Arabs play thing and in recent time the bin dippers have got good again this will further erode the number of whites coming through as kids 

It’s good to see them all piling on the bus at the village best thing to happen was the bus service 

make me laugh some are proper cheeky little cunts sneaking their dads cans on for the journey😀

Growing up in Walkden in the 70s I was one of a few Wanderers fans but so easily could have been a red.  Most of my mates were Man U fans and to my shame I was rooting for them in the 76 cup final. My dad being a Wanderer though meant he kept taking me to Burnden and since we had a good side then, it was easy to become committed.

I salute any Wanderers fans under the age of 20 for sticking with us through such lean times.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Growing up in Walkden in the 70s I was one of a few Wanderers fans but so easily could have been a red.  Most of my mates were Man U fans and to my shame I was rooting for them in the 76 cup final. My dad being a Wanderer though meant he kept taking me to Burnden and since we had a good side then, it was easy to become committed.

I salute any Wanderers fans under the age of 20 for sticking with us through such lean times.

Yo, mr grey

Another one of your lot

2 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

It’s good to see them all piling on the bus at the village best thing to happen was the bus service 

make me laugh some are proper cheeky little cunts sneaking their dads cans on for the journey😀

Give it few years they will be nicking their dads bing for the bus 😃

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

So was I.  I had hardly even heard of Bolton then, just influenced by watching MOTD and any other TV football.  That Man U side under Tommy Doc was great to watch at the time, in an entertaining underdog type of way.  No problem with anyone that supported - and attended - Man U in the 70s, pre-Fergie/Prem/Sky, because that was a completely different club to what its become.

• Site Supporter

Lad didn’t show much interest in football until he got fifa on the Xbox And asked if he could with me to a game.
I’d asked him a few time previously but he wasn’t for having it. 
Now he loves it. He’s got his first season ticket this year and I’ve promised I’ll take him away with me if we can. 
His grandad has taken him to city a couple of times but he’s always declared with beaming pride he’s a Bolton fan whenever asked, he has watched all the you tube footage of Nat and knows many of the old players. He really has got the bug, he’s always Bolton on Fifa.

Trouble is he knows more about the players than I do so I need to up my game.

He’s found his own way into football but the look on his face when Dodoo bagged that 95th minute equaliser against Wimbledon is the one where I knew he’d got it. 

• Members

Rogers trojan horse. He's sneaked a few in.

Back to our kids, my lad led BWFC on to the pitch for a 3rd round FA Cup tie at Burnden v. Reading which I believe we won 2-0. 91-ish?

He was interviewed by the late, great Dave Higson. Recently had the video transferred to memory stick.

Got my lad a season ticket at 1 was taking him regularly from about 4 years old, he’s 15 now and he’s seen some shit, but he gets it now, it’s not just about winning it’s the time we spend together, the time with mates on an away day and the banter. Whether he will carry on when he moves on in life I don’t know but I know BWFC will always have a place in his heart. 

My eldest is 18 and I think this will be his 14th season ticket, only known him not want to go a couple of times. He's a far better fan than I've ever been.

Quite a few of his mates are whites as well which does help but it's more being in the groove of going regardless how shit it is that makes it an unconscious action like breathing.

He'll probably pack it in now just to prove me wrong like you do at that age.

My lads first game was Portsmouth away - aged 18 months. 

We went everywhere together from aged 3 onwards. He did virtually all the European aways - special times.   

BWFC are a massive part of his life & I am proud they are.

There are very few whites where we live, so he will have to go it alone as I did. 

I started going independently (without Dad) in the old Division 4 and he will be doing the same unfortunately.   

I took my daughter to Burnden when she was 6 ( she's nearly 35 now) she was a Junior White for years, did the last season at Burnden and first season at Reebok as a ball girl, we used to go all over the country together until she was old enough to go it alone with the Junior Whites ( Mike and Bill were brilliant with the kids). She still goes to the occasional game with me when I do go. We've made a decision to take her eldest son (8) this season

3 hours ago, captainmed said:

My lads first game was Portsmouth away - aged 18 months. 

We went everywhere together from aged 3 onwards. He did virtually all the European aways - special times.   

BWFC are a massive part of his life & I am proud they are.

There are very few whites where we live, so he will have to go it alone as I did. 

I started going independently (without Dad) in the old Division 4 and he will be doing the same unfortunately.   

You not going again?