Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile in Ukraine

Rudy

12 minutes ago, Spider said:

It does appear that those Javelin anti-tank weapons are crippling the Russians. And they are flooding in from dozens of countries for the Ukranians.

The Russians seem to be using soviet-era tanks and vehicles. Unfortunately, they have fucking loads of them.

America or China would have taken all the major cities by now according to most analysts that are commentating on all this. They consider the Russians poorly equipped but with the numbers.

I think it was you who mentioned the piles of shit at the side of the roads in that huge convoy. Well it’s still there and the shit will be piling higher. What is it, 5-6 days now. 
There are reports of the Russian VDV being wiped out in the south. These are the supposed elite of the Russian forces. Not confirmed yet but it would be a huge blow to the invaders.

41 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Ukraine had 170,000 troops before this war. How many do you think have been killed? 
They will never surrender.

That is a conservative estimate, it could be more.

i was wondering 

how many they had 

+you will always defend your country to the last man

• Site Supporter

Translation:
Yesterday, thanks to Victor Nikolaevich who pulled some strings for me, yesterday the conscripts [that I talked about before], who were forced to sign a contract or one was signed for them, were withdrawn from the war zone in Ukraine. But from a company of a hundred men only four were left alive.

7 minutes ago, jeep said:

Had some good nights out around that area. No doubt you have too fella..... 🍺👍

😊 Not the best part of town but full of history. In 2008 they had a photographic exhibition in the square (it’s not a square) showing huge photos of the Russian tanks in the same place as they were 40 years previously. I remember standing there trying to imagine what it would have been like. It took a few years for them to leave but they did.

Here we are again, another European city with Russian tanks in the streets again. Hopefully, one day I’ll go to Kiev and think the same. Sooner rather than later.

4 hours ago, Spider said:

We manufacture with copper. Large amounts of which come from Russia and Ukraine.

The LME has gone fckin mental this week.

Things are going to get pretty bad if this drags on.

Spider, are you talking copper billet or finished product. Price of copper on the LME has gone up 5% in the last few days. Russia is the 8th largest producer behind Zambia. Ukraine don't register in the top 10 producers. 

1 hour ago, Winchester White said:

They are trying with numbers completely unequipped for the war ahead. There are loads of conscripted lads with no clue who are cannon fodder. Yet the Russians don't give a fuck.

Just awful

Hold on a minute... We've got videos of the captured Russian young lads also being described as cannon fodder. 

Let's keep it balanced. No one gives a fuck here. 

But let's not make out the Russians are a million strong time served Super Army Soldiers

3 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Hold on a minute... We've got videos of the captured Russian young lads also being described as cannon fodder. 

Let's keep it balanced. No one gives a fuck here. 

But let's not make out the Russians are a million strong time served Super Army Soldiers

I think WW was saying the Russians conscripts are cannon fodder .

2 minutes ago, Ani said:

I think WW was saying the Russians conscripts are cannon fodder .

That's alright then. 

Ukraine have ex and current world champion boxers and a bloke who played piano with his nob as their reservists... 

They'll shit em 

2 minutes ago, stevieb said:

That's alright then. 

Ukraine have ex and current world champion boxers and a bloke who played piano with his nob as their reservists... 

They'll shit em 

Ok not sure what point you are making. 

10 minutes ago, stevieb said:

That neither army is brimming with Super Army Soldiers. 

Fair enough, I suppose it is the old cliche that only one side has something to fight and die for. I do think that a lot of people in the Wests view of the war is that the 'honourable underdog' always finds a way, which is more Hollywood than reality.

As I posted earlier the only outcomes I see do not have any winners, just lots of dead people and economic disasters for all. 

I'm torn me. Really torn. 

I can see the undeniable logic in not enforcing a no fly zone or putting boots on the ground. 

But my god it's hard to swallow. Really hard. In some ways it would have been easier if Ukraine had been in NATO and our hand was forced.

I'm not comfortable with watching a country get systematically destroyed when we could intervene. But what would the consequences of that be? But if we don't, then where is our moral authority? 

Horrible, horrible situation this is......

I know the argument is that nuclear weapons act as this wonderful deterrent and nobody would be daft enough to use them. But that's clearly been dismantled as an argument. If it were true then we'd be in Ukraine militarily now. Safe in the knowledge that nobody would ever push the button.

The reality is - nuclear weapons are what are stopping us from doing the right thing. 

I'm really conflicted here......

I think we're looking for our own pretext to get involved if nothing changes soon. I partly expected the shelling of that nuclear facility to draw us into things. Under the explanation that doing so engangered the whole of Europe and could be classed as a wider aggression. Or something. I don't know I'm not Henry Kissinger like! 

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I'm really conflicted here......

Been out on the piss tonight to forget about all this shit. But I’m with you, really conflicted, it just doesn’t seem right to stand by supplying toiletries, while a democratic European country is invaded. But the alternative has unthinkable consequences…

38 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I think we're looking for our own pretext to get involved if nothing changes soon. I partly expected the shelling of that nuclear facility to draw us into things. Under the explanation that doing so engangered the whole of Europe and could be classed as a wider aggression. Or something. I don't know I'm not Henry Kissinger like! 

We cant even do sanctions properly, not sure we'll be leading the charge on military action.