Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

26 years ago tonight......Bolton v Swindon, League Cup Semi Final at Burnden

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

As far as evening games at Burnden go I think that is top of my list.

It’s not so often when the excitement and anticipation before are lived up to during the game and carried on after looking forward to an English Cup Final at Wembley. 

And Mixus goal....Fucking mental 

• Site Supporter

I remember leaving the first leg up the alleyway at the side of their ground. We were in top voice singing 2-1 is not enough to the tune of Go West by Pet Shop Boys. I was absolutely confident we'd overturn that, and so we did on that fine evening.

My favourite night match at Burnden was when we turned Spurs over 6-1.

Burnden Paddock was incredible that night. It was absolute carnage after each of our three goals. Made all the better for being able to celebrate with folk who'd suffered with us through the 80s.

It was our first year with players from abroad since having Tad Novak and Dusan Nikolic in the early 1980s and Mixu and Richard Sneekes did us proud that night. 

A few years later we had that semi v the skiprats at The Reebok and people didn't seem to care about the League Cup. We didn't fill it for that win v Villa in 2004 either. Swindon (and Everton in 77) a far cry from the third and fourth of our League Cup semis.

I remember working on a rendering job on the original day of the tie in Farnworth, it was bitterly cold and started snowing and after a while all our work fell off the gable end, my mate said fuck it, pack the tools and mixer away, were fucking off home. ☺️