Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

SW away

captainmed

Baka scored about 25 goals in his career. He is 23. 

Which makes him a goal machine compared to Tequilla. 

That is not knocking either of them but to suggest they are likely to score many goals is crazy. We are 1 goal off being top scorers in the division. 

3 facts and 1 opinion. 

I mentioned this before, but Doyle doesn't miss the chance he unexpectedly got in the first minute if Kachunga shoots, like a striker would normally do. Isgrove is more than twice the player for us that Kachunga and he'd have taken the shot on.

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think for all the qualities Doyle brings in terms of running the channels etc etc, all reasonably valid, when we signed him  for league 2 last season, we were buzzing.  Why? Because of 52 goals in about 3 years.  I didn't see any comments saying they couldn't wait to see his intelligent runs, workrate and being a team player.  All great qualities, but there could be players even better at those things playing for Crawley or Forest Green, but we've never heard of them because they don't score enough.  If Doyle isn't scoring, unfortunately he's not the player we signed.

When you don't see a player week in week out, you don't get to see the other qualities.

Equally however, you don't get to score that number of goals by being lazy or poor.

Two go hand in hand. 

Age may be catching up with him, who knows, as it does with everyone eventually.

As I said before, it's OK having a dig, but come up with an alternative at the moment. 

I agree, that with a strikers instinct, Kachunga would have shot but the keeper was well out to him and for me it was the right option to pass to Doyle. I’ve watched it numerous times now and for me the ball was perfect, in front of the defender and it was actually Doyle who overran it and didn’t properly anticipate the pass, probably thinking Kachunga would shoot himself and looking for a rebound off the keeper.

These things happen in games but sooner or later I’m sure Doyle will start knocking them in. His confidence is low at the moment so maybe he’s just taking that second too long on things but I know for certain getting on his back isn’t going to help. Baka may add something but Doyle is still the best and most proved striker we have, so for me IE should stick with him until we get in someone better.

11 hours ago, Traf said:

I mentioned this before, but Doyle doesn't miss the chance he unexpectedly got in the first minute if Kachunga shoots, like a striker would normally do. Isgrove is more than twice the player for us that Kachunga and he'd have taken the shot on.

This - no question he should shoot

2 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

I agree, that with a strikers instinct, Kachunga would have shot but the keeper was well out to him and for me it was the right option to pass to Doyle. I’ve watched it numerous times now and for me the ball was perfect, in front of the defender and it was actually Doyle who overran it and didn’t properly anticipate the pass, probably thinking Kachunga would shoot himself and looking for a rebound off the keeper.

These things happen in games but sooner or later I’m sure Doyle will start knocking them in. His confidence is low at the moment so maybe he’s just taking that second too long on things but I know for certain getting on his back isn’t going to help. Baka may add something but Doyle is still the best and most proved striker we have, so for me IE should stick with him until we get in someone better.

Kachunga should shoot

the Keeper is not well out to him

the ball is not in front of the defender it goes through him as he slides back

A striker would expect any ball from there to be in front of him

Doyle has to hold his position to stay on side 

People say Doyle lacks confidence Kachunga not scored for 40 games and 4 in last about 120 games. 

At the time I just could not believe we had not scored, still can't watching it back .

I do not think it is a pen late on either

Kachunga could and maybe should’ve shot. From that range if you hit it low and hard, the keeper is going to have a hard time saving it. But the pass really wasn’t a bad option and the problem wasn’t that it was behind Doyle. 

if you watch the replay it was a perfect pass, it’s the last defender who comes in just before it reaches Doyle - he swipes at it and misses completely which throws Doyle off. 

Second half Doyle does well to readjust his body and get a shot off, unfortunately it was a tame shot straight at the keeper.

• Site Supporter

First time I've seen any highlights. Obviously they're not comprehensive, but considering they're "home" ones, it appears we created more than enough opportunities. 

Doyle does hit a tame one in the second half, but there are also some missed chances from other players too.

One for John coming in at the back stick- instead of shouting and just making sure he heads the thing into the net, he seems to pause because Doyle is in the vicinity, and in the end just taps it. Just put Doyle in the net with it!

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, JimmyRiddle said:

What is this exactly, seen references to it, but is there idiot's guide somewhere?? Ta

Yea, it means that when Doyler starts scoring again, we're going up. Until then, we're languishing a bit. 😉

4 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

What is this exactly, seen references to it, but is there idiot's guide somewhere?? Ta

xP = expected points based on the xGF (expected goals for) vs the xGA (expected goals against).

Then they've averaged out all the xGF and xGA per game and come up with an xPPG (expected points per game).

So the fact that we're 8th in the real league table but sit second in this xPoints table shows how wasteful we've been, or possibly that we've been conceding soft goals, or conceding from not many chances against us. Or maybe a bit of both.

While Wigan and Sunderland are midtable in terms of their xP. Shows that they are clearly taking their chances or grinding out results.

The issue with systems like this is - how are they calculating the "Expected Goals", because there isn't just one way of calculating this, it depends on where you're getting the data from. Some analysts will use different metrics to others.

Edited by Mantra

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Mantra said:

xP = expected points based on the xGF (expected goals for) vs the xGA (expected goals against).

Then they've averaged out all the xGF and xGA per game and come up with an xPPG (expected points per game).

So the fact that we're 8th in the real league table but sit second in this xPoints table shows how wasteful we've been, or possibly that we've been conceding soft goals, or conceding from not many chances against us. Or maybe a bit of both.

While Wigan and Sunderland are midtable in terms of their xP. Shows that they are clearly taking their chances or grinding out results.

The issue with systems like this is - how are they calculating the "Expected Goals", because there isn't just one way of calculating this, it depends on where you're getting the data from. Some analysts will use different metrics to others.

Aye, it needs a  @SatanGreavsie 3-2-1 explanation to clarify it.

• Members
5 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

It’s working out the probability in which you’d have a higher chance to score. You’ll have 3 colours and be able to calculate the xG

green is the highest probability and will be an 

Amber good chance 

Red low probability

It goes off Stats, so Kane for example if he scores the right side of the penalty spot, 12 yards out then they will look to get the ball into the EXG area 

xG=0.10×shots

6 hours ago, Rudy said:

It’s working out the probability in which you’d have a higher chance to score. You’ll have 3 colours and be able to calculate the xG

green is the highest probability and will be an 

Amber good chance 

Red low probability

It goes off Stats, so Kane for example if he scores the right side of the penalty spot, 12 yards out then they will look to get the ball into the EXG area 

xG=0.10×shots

As previously, literally none the wiser.

Made up quasi-technical bollox.