Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Injuries

Ani

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Coventry was a real high point for me too. A tear jerker, buzzing after it. Difficult to explain to any none Bolton fan afterwards why I was on a high given there were about 6k of us watching a 0-0 L1 game and we were on minus 11 points 😆

The support for a team of 16, 17 and 18 year olds was incredible and it felt like backs to the wall stuff for the fans as much as the players. We actually had chances to score in that game from memory.

And for them, a certain Amadou Bakayoko had the ball in our net only to be ruled offside :)

We have come so far since then.

17 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Shout out to the JPT game against Bradford, immediately post-takeover. That feeling of relief that we knew we still had a club, and how the fans just kept flooding in and having to keep opening more and more areas.  

Yes, when Politic gave us the lead it was like we'd scored in the FA Cup against United or City, felt like a David v Goliath tie but they were in a lower division to us!

5 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Also a mention for the celebrations after Murphy's late winner v MK Dons. Came away genuinely believing we were in the fight to stay up.

Didn't last much longer after that, we got beat 7-1 the following week.

Yes, it's easy to dismiss the whole thing as a shit show. The truth is there were some good goals, moments and players too. Daryl Murphy was about 38 but he still knew how to finish & lead the line. Politic & Verlinden had their moments amongst others, and any win felt huge upto the time we realised the fight to stay up was over. As you say the Accy game changed the feel, we went into that after 3 consecutive wins & even took the lead, but that was as good as it got.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Also a mention for the celebrations after Murphy's late winner v MK Dons. Came away genuinely believing we were in the fight to stay up.

Didn't last much longer after that, we got beat 7-1 the following week.

we did seem to give up when dec/jan came around

some real odd transfers

• Site Supporter

Another highlight of that period was Gillingham away. The issues with the team seemed to gel the support. A great day out not even spoiled by yet another 5-0 defeat.

I’m fairly sure this was the game where at 7.30 on Friday evening I asked wife if she fancied going and, much to my amazement, she said yes. 
Whilst we went packing my lad arranged an overnight stay part way down. Packed it, booked it and  fucked off.

Got to Gillingham next day and bumped into @barryk32 and ended up booking the night at their hotel.

Fucking mad weekend.

6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Another highlight of that period was Gillingham away. The issues with the team seemed to gel the support. A great day out not even spoiled by yet another 5-0 defeat.

I’m fairly sure this was the game where at 7.30 on Friday evening I asked wife if she fancied going and, much to my amazement, she said yes. 
Whilst we went packing my lad arranged an overnight stay part way down. Packed it, booked it and  fucked off.

Got to Gillingham next day and bumped into @barryk32 and ended up booking the night at their hotel.

Fucking mad weekend.

Did both the Gillingham and Wycombe matches as well

Wasn't arsed about the outcomes, was just about supporting the team that we had

• Site Supporter

Verlinden scoring after 4 mins at Rotherham was an amazing celebration - think I had a celebratory/angry/emotional tear down my face going mental at that one.

All false dawns weren’t they, but all important parts of the journey to where we are now 

Edited by desperado

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Fucking mad weekend.

Love Gillingham away.

I'm still in touch with them young uns that took us under their wing the other year.

24 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Didn't FV finally get the deal over the line a day or 2 before Gillingham then appoint Hill on the Saturday night or Sunday

Yeah, think the appointment was actually made on the way home!

Saw this the day after on EFL highlights, a few off here on it. I look like I'm delivering a rather difficult shit! 😂😂

IMG_20190901_095438.jpg

4 hours ago, desperado said:

Verlinden scoring after 4 mins at Rotherham was an amazing celebration - think I had a celebratory/angry/emotional tear down my face going mental at that one.

All false dawns weren’t they, but all important parts of the journey to where we are now 

Yes Verlinden's goal was one of my favourite away goals I've witnessed.  To take the lead, and with an outstanding goal too, was a wow moment.

Looking at the line ups, their forward line was Carlton Morris (now a regular scorer for Luton) and Freddie Ladapo, they scored 4 between them.  Our "strikeforce" was Crawford on his own! (nice assist though).  In midfield they had Crooks (now Boro), we had Weir!

A bit of thread drift but re. Verlinden.

Amazed he's just 24.

Not done a great deal & now in Belgian Div.2

2017–21 Stoke City 11 (0)
2018  St. Pauli (loan) 0 (0)
2018  St. Pauli II (loan) 2 (0)
2019–20  Bolton Wanderers (loan) 15 (3)
2021 Fortuna Sittard 6 (0)
2021–22 DAC Dunajská Streda 16 (1)
2022– Beerschot 38 (6)