Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Morecambe (A)

Leyther_Matt

Sorry late to the party but that was fantastic. Hats off to morecambe I thought they generated a superb atmosphere (incident aside) almost unsavoury conditions which were not conducive to the usual Evatt style of play. Great day out - onto Oxford now. 

We move. Mutley  

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Mutley said:

Sorry late to the party but that was fantastic. Hats off to morecambe I thought they generated a superb atmosphere (incident aside) almost unsavoury conditions which were not conducive to the usual Evatt style of play. Great day out - onto Oxford now. 

We move. Mutley  

Not Charlton at home?

MickyD

27 minutes ago, Mutley said:

We move. Mutley  

Morecambe generated a superb atmosphere? If you mean their fans, they were the quietest set of home fans i’ve ever not heard, prompting Wanderers fans to sing “Is this a Library?”

If you mean Morecambe players created the atmosphere - they were just being their usual shithousing selves.

Odious little turd of a club imo.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Morecambe generated a superb atmosphere? If you mean their fans, they were the quietest set of home fans i’ve ever not heard, prompting Wanderers fans to sing “Is this a Library?”

If you mean Morecambe players created the atmosphere - they were just being their usual shithousing selves.

Odious little turd of a club imo.

I thought our fans contributed to the atmosphere tbh. 

These lot ain't looking forward to coming to our place.

Bolton really are the nastiest bunch of supporters I've ever had the displeasure to come across. Really not surprised that they were attacking disabled and children after the game on Saturday. Easy targets for drunken scum. It's nothing new for them and I'll never forget that they stabbed a young Blackpool fan to death at Blackpool Bloomfield Road in the seventies. He was the same age as me at the time and it sends a chill down your spine to realise what they are capable of. You would like to think that in this day and age mass hooliganism was a thing of the past but it appears to be getting worse again.

That brings me on to the game at Bolton. In their last two games reports from that area give accounts of attacks on Cambridge and Sunderland fans. Sunderland had 5,000 there so what chance have we got??

Hopefully GMP are on the ball for our game and stamp on their hooligans good and hard. We like many others have tickets for the rearranged fixture but being exiles will have to drive in so not sure what's going to happen afterwards. After Saturday I actually hate the idea of giving that scummy club a penny of my money but we do need to support our club so I guess we'll put on our tin hats and crack on. Not a penny more for food and drink though and if we play them again at the Mazuma hopefully give them the absolute minimum amount of tickets we are allowed to.

Rant over but still fuming after Saturday.

7 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Bolton really are the nastiest bunch of supporters I've ever had the displeasure to come across. Really not surprised that they were attacking disabled and children after the game on Saturday. Easy targets for drunken scum. It's nothing new for them and I'll never forget that they stabbed a young Blackpool fan to death at Blackpool Bloomfield Road in the seventies. He was the same age as me at the time and it sends a chill down your spine to realise what they are capable of. You would like to think that in this day and age mass hooliganism was a thing of the past but it appears to be getting worse again.

That brings me on to the game at Bolton. In their last two games reports from that area give accounts of attacks on Cambridge and Sunderland fans. Sunderland had 5,000 there so what chance have we got??

Hopefully GMP are on the ball for our game and stamp on their hooligans good and hard. We like many others have tickets for the rearranged fixture but being exiles will have to drive in so not sure what's going to happen afterwards. After Saturday I actually hate the idea of giving that scummy club a penny of my money but we do need to support our club so I guess we'll put on our tin hats and crack on. Not a penny more for food and drink though and if we play them again at the Mazuma hopefully give them the absolute minimum amount of tickets we are allowed to.

fanny

35 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Forty-eight years have elapsed since that sad day re Kevin Olson. A Blackpool legend was our manager that day too in the shape of Jimmy Armfield. It was a truly miserable and tragic event. 

Generations of Bolton fans/football fans generally have come and gone since then. The "nasty" element of our support has waxed and waned several times. 

Blackpool fans of a certain age still like to tar every Bolton fan with the same brush because of this. We will often be referred to by them as "the murderers". The chip on their shoulder has grown over time and they view us as their "second" rival after PNE.  

Now to some degree you can understand that given what happened that day in 1974 (not to mention the 53 Cup Final). I can't stand Blackpool, but we've crossed swords, there's a documented history and they are an old rival. 

Morecambe? Sorry. And to be trying to attach to an old school Lancashire rivalry with a history to charge things up even more is somewhat pathetic. 

Another small-time detractor to add to the list. No doubt had Burnley, Blackburn or PNE been in League 1 just now it would have been them attracting the ire of these nobodies. 

Edited by paulhanley

• Members
38 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Gave me a wiggle that. 
This is what we want, teams and fans scared to come here 

Soft Bastards

• Moderators

"they stabbed"

Implies plural. Was it plural or was it one person, in an era when people regularly used weapons in football violence?

Unfortunately someone died, this was an inevitable consequence, surely? I don't think it reflects on anyone under the age of 70. I was 3 at the time, loads on here weren't born. A bit stupid to drag this out, again to implicitly defend one of the own.