Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge (H)

Rudy

• Site Supporter

The linesman doesn't flag.

So either he didn't think it was (needs an eyecheck) or did, but was wanting for the ref to make the decision (not doing his job properly).

If the ref put the whistle to his lips, then maybe he was looking at the lino for confirmation?

Whatever the case, it's a shocking decision. Again.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Linesman not see it? 

They’re all the same, frightened to death of making big decisions.

That no. 4 should have been off for two yellows but he didn’t even get one.

As stated earlier, Rico should have been booked too.

I’m all for letting the game flow but you can’t ignore such an obvious penalty.

Cowards.

17 minutes ago, Steejay said:

They’re all the same, frightened to death of making big decisions.

That no. 4 should have been off for two yellows but he didn’t even get one.

As stated earlier, Rico should have been booked too.

I’m all for letting the game flow but you can’t ignore such an obvious penalty.

Cowards.

Weak men 

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Dont know how the first and last of these didn't make it on the highlight reel

I suspect this guy used to time our highlights on MOTD then moan where we weren't on as much as other teams

Finally spoke to a Sunlun fan today who actually said we were a very good team. He was sat behind the goal and was very impressed with the second goal with Dapo starting & finishing & Keirans sexy flick!. Said if that had been scored by Man U they'd still be showing it on Sky. Good man he also fancies us for sneaking the play offs!

Cambridge are decent away aswell, they shocked the toon at St James's & stuffed Cheltenham 5-0 away in the past few weeks so last night was very comfortable in how we dealt with them for the most part in the grand scemes of things. I thought we'd struggle at breaking them down but we cut through them with ease at times, the tempo of our passing has improved ten fold! 

7 hours ago, Underpants said:

Agree. Less of the patient tippy-tappy does mean giving up large parts of possession. Possession base football worked well last season but it took IE a few months to realise we're not Man City and it doesn't work that well in L1.

Trafford. He might be the answer to our keeper issues but the Im not convinced by the lad yet. Needs more of a Gilks mouth on him. Still, can't argue with his clean sheets. The ones in front of him deserve credit too.

Agree with both of those points, its a breath of fresh air to see possession football AT PACE, not tippy-tappy, its all with purpose, there were few if any passing moves that didn't result in us getting further up the pitch quickly, chalk and cheese to a month ago.  And on Trafford, really difficult to judge him, hardly anything to do in 4 games, but more minuses than pluses last night - that bizarre punch instead of catching it that immediately put us under pressure resulting in a corner; the one that hit the post, hardly reacted, where was the dive to tip it round the post? But no major clangers in 4 games, so he's ahead of the curve.  And if we keep playing like this I'd have Crellin in the nets for all he'd be needed.

6 hours ago, Ani said:

The revival of the club and knowing we stuck with it in the darkest days is something very special. There is no point explaining it to people because if it needs explaining they will never understand. The fact we are looking to build in a sensible sustainable way with decent owners makes it all the better. 

Well said, couldn't agree more.

The 2nd goal last night, as much as it was a cock up by the Cambridge lad (who looked a really good player other than that), doesn't happen without Charles not going back to defend.  I'll never understand the tactic of bringing everyone back to defend corners, and that goal was exactly why.  Not only did we score but even without the cock up they had to turn back and not get a free hit and pumping it back into the box.  

Pleased for Bakayoko, but at the time I thought "he can't miss", having seen the goal cam I've realised he nearly did!  Would have got a bit of stick if keeper had kept that out.  Its just great to have 2 up front, to have bodies in the box.

By the way further to the discussion pre match about kick off times. The M62 was down to one lane in 3 separate stretches, the roadworks are extended late at night and sure if we kicked off at 19:30 would be much more Iikely to miss them. They are usually just being set up , so maybe they start at 10 ? 

46 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Did the commentator say a corner to utd, towards the end of that?

Or am I hearing things!

Yeah it I follow local commentators so just think the old dear was confused and United was Cambs not the other lot 

32 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The 2nd goal last night, as much as it was a cock up by the Cambridge lad (who looked a really good player other than that), doesn't happen without Charles not going back to defend.  I'll never understand the tactic of bringing everyone back to defend corners, and that goal was exactly why. 

Agree utterly.

I know the tacticians have "done the Maths" but if a player stays up the defence needs 2, possibly 3 players staying back.

It's obviously nice if a goal is scored but what actually definitely happens is that a cleared ball does not necessarily come pinging straight back in, unchallenged. It rushes defenders. It makes "the second ball" less obvious.

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Pablo said:

Morley proper reminds me of Ross the Boss, how he gets on the ball. Good player that lad.

I’ve been trying to think who he reminds me off - good call. Like Ross Barkley he’s always looking up in front of him to see if firstly he can make a forward pass.

• Members
25 minutes ago, Traf said:

Once Fossey has burned the full back a couple of times early doors, they should leave him upfield when we defend corners. Teams won't like that.

He’s very good in the air though. Like a springbok with that leap

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, jules_darby said:

I think I want to adopt Fossey too. What a lad he is

He’s fast becoming a favourite of mine.

I love it when their footballing talent match their human qualities.

Reaching out to somebody in need of some kind words is a class act - must have made the guy feel a million dollars 

The first goal last night summed up how different we are compared to a few weeks ago. The ball is initially cleared but win 3 or 4 balls by players attacking the ball. We went about a month before Xmas where players did not win any second phase ball.