Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sleeping Rough

Youri McAnespie

We used to regularly sleep rough as kids, lie to our parents we were Kipping at a mates then sleep rough, me and another lad once slept rough on the roof of St Simon and Judes school on the day before Christmas Eve. I could probably be a tramp because of my youthful experience of sleeping rough.

We used to say we were 'doing a roughie'.

We'd steal milk off doorsteps for breakfast.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Moderators

Had a mate who thought this was an immense idea and kept going on about it for ages 

I never got it so never did it 

Think he wondered round Horwich into the night contemplating which bus stop to get his head down in 

Can imagine it got boring around 1am 

• Members
8 hours ago, Spider said:

Simon and Jude’s was my primary school.

I threw a lad I didn’t like into a massive pile of dogshit on the playing field one day.

Was the highlight of 6 dull years.

Was mine as well. Mrs Banks, Mrs Grit, Mr Whelan all can get in the volcano. 

Mr Redmond legend. 

Mrs Southern if you’re reading I still would. 

Back on topic we did it once, the plan was to sleep in the woods next to high rid reservoir got a bit bored decided to walk to the 24 hour Tesco at Middlebrook , bumped into a lad we went to school with shopping with his entire family at 3am, that was the highlights of a very dull night. 

Remember as kids we slept in my mates tent in his back garden.

We thought it would be clever to go mooching about at 3am, aged 10.

This bloke stopped in his car and said he was a copper on his way to work and asked us what we were doing out. Then said get in and he'd take us back to my mates house.

We fucking did and luckily he wasnt a child killer. 

Absolute madness and the thought of my lads pulling a similar stunt makes me ill 🤒

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Did a couple of all nighters on the streets queuing outside Size Manchester waiting for trainer releases. Even with 50+ people there and a decent atmosphere it got very quiet, very boring and very cold by 2/3am.

Never again.

Not sleeping rough, but I've had lots of evenings in Bolton Hospital waiting room on those benches. Gets really bad around 2/3 ish..

Slept rough once after missing a car park closing time in Liverpool.  It reopened at 6am, and the guy arrived at 6.10.. seemed like the longest 10 mins. 

1 hour ago, only1swanny said:

Not sleeping rough, but I've had lots of evenings in Bolton Hospital waiting room on those benches. Gets really bad around 2/3 ish..

Slept rough once after missing a car park closing time in Liverpool.  It reopened at 6am, and the guy arrived at 6.10.. seemed like the longest 10 mins. 

I've got a scar on my leg after falling asleep against a radiator in there after one eventful night

• Site Supporter

I missed my lift home one time after an England match.

A couple of hours with nothing to do, not much money, and no plans to get home was long enough for me.   The time seemed to stretch for ages and ages.

My sympathies and undying admiration for anyone who has to sleep rough.

pissed up in town  18/19 went to some party near Castle st left 3am ish

some bloke who worked for my dad lived near by 

clamed over is back wall was a old mattrass lent up as side of his garage 

slept on that till i  woke up piss wet it was pissing down 

had to walk home to Four Lane Ends 

Fell asleep on town hall steps after getting pissed at the Beachcomber. Coppers moved me on.

Went to a night club in France with some locals. Got a lift back but couldn't get into my hotel. Found a block of flats and slept on the stairs.

Edited by H

Just now, H said:

Fell asleep on town hall steps after getting pissed at the Beachcomber. Coppers moved me on.

Went to a night club in France with some locals. Got a lift back but couldn't get into my hotel. Found a block of flats and slept on the stairs.