• Members
1 minute ago, Zico said:

Probably 

Israel use to be in Asia  

Australia used to be Oceania and are now in Asia 

They aren't going to just be let in the CL for a few games 

They'd have to join and compete in euros qualifiers  

I'm curious to see if they'd have the appetite for that

Just seen your post above saying they'd not qualify for any World Cups. 

Well, I reckon, given how much they're expanding the number of teams in a tournament they'd have a slight chance, and also given the number of kids who'll be born over there in the coming years, there'll be kids of superstar footballers being born over there left, right and centre who'll be eligible to play for them. 

Give it 20 years or so and they'll be a decent team.  Especially when the likes of Neymar Jnr Jnr is being offered a billion dollars to proudly play for Saudi Arabia.

3 hours ago, DazBob said:

Well, I reckon, given how much they're expanding the number of teams in a tournament they'd have a slight chance, and also given the number of kids who'll be born over there in the coming years, there'll be kids of superstar footballers being born over there left, right and centre who'll be eligible to play for them. 

Give it 20 years or so and they'll be a decent team.  Especially when the likes of Neymar Jnr Jnr is being offered a billion dollars to proudly play for Saudi Arabia.

Nowt to do with that. £ to a piece of shit they'll naturalised a lot of these guys & present them as the Saudi team. Within 2 years that'll start being the noise.

3 hours ago, DazBob said:

Other than Vialli I cannot think of many wealthy world class footballers. To get good you need to do nothing else than kick a football around all day and night. Cannot see Neymars lad doing that in Dubai's back streets with the Sultans son.

• Members
10 minutes ago, Nowack said:

Other than Vialli I cannot think of many wealthy world class footballers. To get good you need to do nothing else than kick a football around all day and night. Cannot see Neymars lad doing that in Dubai's back streets with the Sultans son.

Other than Vialli, off the top off my head, I can think of players such as Maldini, Chiesa, Haaland,  Kluivert, Gudjohnsen and Thuram.  All of whom are better than anything the Saudis have ever produced.  I doubt many of them were kicking a popped casey against a back street wall in a favela. 

• Members
3 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Nowt to do with that. £ to a piece of shit they'll naturalised a lot of these guys & present them as the Saudi team. Within 2 years that'll start being the noise.

Players over the age of 21 have to have been resident in a country for five years before they can declare their allegiance to a country they weren't born in

7 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If it goes along a route many aren't happy with, then nations could get together, and withdraw from Fifa/Uefa and set up another system.

Would take some sorting, but far from impossible. 

Far more likely to be the other way, with FIFA & UEFA keeping the status quo and the Saudis will be the ones leading the charge to a Super League. The difference is that, unlike Europe, their clubs don’t generate ‘eyeballs’ so they will be completely reliant on the pull of the players rather than the club themselves. A risky strategy. 

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Far more likely to be the other way, with FIFA & UEFA keeping the status quo and the Saudis will be the ones leading the charge to a Super League. The difference is that, unlike Europe, their clubs don’t generate ‘eyeballs’ so they will be completely reliant on the pull of the players rather than the club themselves. A risky strategy. 

Hopefully. 

I was just playing out a scenario should the current authorities go down the route of letting them in, which I don't see happening. 

The far east might also start looking enviously should too much be offered to the middle east. Another can of worms potentially!

Some club shop straighteners there: triads v salafis, Italian ultras v orthodox extremists, and so on.

• Members
30 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Hopefully. 

I was just playing out a scenario should the current authorities go down the route of letting them in, which I don't see happening. 

The far east might also start looking enviously should too much be offered to the middle east. Another can of worms potentially!

Some club shop straighteners there: triads v salafis, Italian ultras v orthodox extremists, and so on.

There's a quietly developing power battle between FIFA and UEFA which could well prove relevant

FIFA dislike the fact the UEFA's Champions League is so dominant and influencial at club level and are pushing for the their own Club World Cup to steal the mantle, and in turn give FIFA even more power over the sport

That's the avenue the Saudi's could look to go down, or threaten to go down, and it's why there's a possibility UEFA might ultimately bend to their will

• Site Supporter

Would that work do you think?

OK fifa go and do their own version, but that wouldn't stop eufa from doing theirs.

Might end up creating a bit of a split I suppose wrt club football, but in terms of international football South America and Europe tend to be the big players, and a split there would certainly not help fifa in any pursuit of dominance.

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Almost certain I'd think.

They're hollowing out top teams at the moment & I don't see them stopping. 

Been a blessing for a few to get decent money towards FFP.

When does the expanded World club cup start? That would make sense as a first step for Saudi to compete with Europe 

• 1 month later...