Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan (H)

desperado

So, the referee has admitted the Red to Evatt was harsh and the second yellow to Dion was an error.

Big of him. Incompetent scrote. He got a double rush of blood & should be 'rested' from officiating for, oooooh, 17 years !!

Thing is, if Dion was not guilty of anything then the Fleetwood keeper tripped him, in the box. He should have been booked & a penalty awarded.

Was at a meeting today up in Newcastle. Turned out there was a WIggin fan there. Got talking to him. They really hate Evatt with a passion. Like seriously hate him. Summat to do with his comments around the 0-4 game? I genuinely can’t remember him saying anything that bad? Anyway he was giving me shit about him being banned from the game. Oh how I laugh now 

1 hour ago, Spider said:

I spoke to a Wigan fan yesterday in a plumbers merchants in , well, Wigan.

He honestly reckons Wigan is a bigger club and a better town than Bolton and his reasoning is that it’s cos you can get a train direct to london from there.

Thats what we’re dealing with.

To be fair I assume you agreed with him and showed him the little diagram of what you did last night. 

4 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Looking back on that team it staggers me how far we've come. I'm amazed Liam Gordon is still playing league football at Wozzle, Harry's over at St Pats in Ireland, Baka on loan at Dundee and Sarce in L2.

No wonder we got mullered.

Bit harsh on Liam Gordon , cant remember him ever letting us down and he had that horror injury that was a hairs breadth from taking  his leg . 

Was told after that  hed be lucky if he didnt spend the rest of his life on crutches let alone play again

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

So, the referee has admitted the Red to Evatt was harsh and the second yellow to Dion was an error.

Big of him. Incompetent scrote. He got a double rush of blood & should be 'rested' from officiating for, oooooh, 17 years !!

Thing is, if Dion was not guilty of anything then the Fleetwood keeper tripped him, in the box. He should have been booked & a penalty awarded.

I remember Brannigan giving a penalty away at West Brom shoving Paul Peschisolido while he had hold of the ball. Tuesday was no different, should have been a penalty

7 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Was at a meeting today up in Newcastle. Turned out there was a WIggin fan there. Got talking to him. They really hate Evatt with a passion. Like seriously hate him. Summat to do with his comments around the 0-4 game? I genuinely can’t remember him saying anything that bad? Anyway he was giving me shit about him being banned from the game. Oh how I laugh now 

It will have been because of IE’s the ‘best team in the league’ comment (that I have deliberately not put in quotations as that wasn’t what he said, but is what the press went with anyway)

7 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Have to say I disagree with this. Jury still out on Dan, but I remember when he came straight in after Baka left. Within ten minutes I noticed the ball sticks to him so much better. He’s younger and has much more potential.

Love Baka (mainly for Oxford & Crewe away), but that double figure season for us was a one-off.
His first touch was shocking. He couldn’t hold it up whatsoever and hasn’t scored in the league since the end of 21/22. 

He also played as a wide forward on the right that day. Writing was truly on the wall.

He was injured wasn’t he? We definitely didn’t go with Brockbank and Gordon by choice that’s for sure 😂 

Jones got injured the week before when we played Sheffield Wednesday and was out until we played Wycombe at home in Jan when he linked up with Fossey

11 hours ago, bwfc87 said:

Ref admitted he made a mistake giving Dion a second yellow. You can appeal a straight red (IE) card but can’t do anything about two yellows. 

I didn’t see that bit 87, well done then to him but it’s a bit late afterwards. 🥴

5 hours ago, Krimzon said:

Bit harsh on Liam Gordon , cant remember him ever letting us down and he had that horror injury that was a hairs breadth from taking  his leg . 

Was told after that  hed be lucky if he didnt spend the rest of his life on crutches let alone play again

He was shite, he could run fast but was a terrible footballer. We played Rotherham at home that season and one of their main tactics was to set up to block our right hand side, so the ball always got played to Gordon as they left him open and then their little centre mid just ran at him as fast as he could - Gordon shit his pants every time and just kept giving the ball away.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s not Greenidge levels, but he was a poor left back to have playing in this league (and Brockbank was no better on the other side). No wonder we got battered

I think we can all agree that this time it’s us that’s in form and top of the league and the pies looking up and fearing a rinsing. Our only concern is that our players don’t turn up on the day but I believe they will and we’ll give these tin pots a good smashing and put them back in their box.

15 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I think we can all agree that this time it’s us that’s in form and top of the league and the pies looking up and fearing a rinsing. Our only concern is that our players don’t turn up on the day but I believe they will and we’ll give these tin pots a good smashing and put them back in their box.

Unfortunately my friend us tin pots keep climbing back out of the box...on this match I'm kind of being pragmatic. I've been upto your place and seen us win a few and lose a few but my biggest fear is this match is a bit too soon for a collection of young lads. Dont get me wrong they have the talent just not a lot of experience. 

In our favour is that I keep hearing the word anxious not least about the result 2 years ago..." anxious to right the the wrongs " etc....

Anxiety is good to hear and maybe a weapon.

My expectation is low for the reasons stated but hope springs eternal that your trepidation stops you performing to your best. I do believe you have more riding on this than us as we are just dusting ourselves down again and starting a new chapter. You are looking at promotion,  we at clawing this deficit back and survival .

Should be clearer tomorrow afternoon one way or tuther.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It will have been because of IE’s the ‘best team in the league’ comment (that I have deliberately not put in quotations as that wasn’t what he said, but is what the press went with anyway)

Ah OK. Strange. Unless the reporting had a context to it 

56 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Wigan would be 4th and 2 points behind us if it wasn’t for the points deduction so hardly looking up that far, although I don’t think that paints the full picture, we look as good as I’ve seen us for over a decade, we’ve threats all over the pitch, a strong bench which includes game changers like Gomes, the back 3 looks particularly strong, midfield likewise probably best midfielder in the league in Dempsey and I do hope Bod returns alongside Victor, if Wigan get something out of this game I’ll doff my cap to them. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

I remember Brannigan giving a penalty away at West Brom shoving Paul Peschisolido while he had hold of the ball. Tuesday was no different, should have been a penalty

Absolutely, live on the box.

Looking at the highlights from Tuesday, after the red, the ref gives a free kick to Fleetwood at the point where Dion first grabs at the keeper, which, as it happened before the kick out, would mean no penalty.

Strangely though, he doesn't award the free kick until Dion has gobbed off, which is where he needs to learn to shut up.

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Looking at the highlights from Tuesday, after the red, the ref gives a free kick to Fleetwood at the point where Dion first grabs at the keeper, which, as it happened before the kick out, would mean no penalty.

Strangely though, he doesn't award the free kick until Dion has gobbed off, which is where he needs to learn to shut up.

That’s right but their goalie definitely trips Dion as he runs past him and I think that’s what Dion was complaining about 

17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

5 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

That’s right but their goalie definitely trips Dion as he runs past him and I think that’s what Dion was complaining about 

Seen this loads of times now and I've sort of decided it went like this. 

Dion grabs the keeper, which is a foul and possibly a yellow, but the keeper has the ball in his hands and the ref plays advantage.

Keeper swings a foot at Dion, ref decides to overlook it in the same way as he's not gone and booked Dion for the pull.

Dion then talks his way into a yellow, ref has to stop the game, so the ball goes back to the spot of Dion's foul.

I'm not saying that's the correct way it should have gone, but seems plausible.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Indeed. At that point he hadn't blown for the initial free kick, so it should have been a pen.

It's only the gobbing that makes him stop the game though, and he then gives the initial foul. That way the ref negates any argument about it being a pen. 

All very frustrating. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Traf said:

Seen this loads of times now and I've sort of decided it went like this. 

Dion grabs the keeper, which is a foul and possibly a yellow, but the keeper has the ball in his hands and the ref plays advantage.

Keeper swings a foot at Dion, ref decides to overlook it in the same way as he's not gone and booked Dion for the pull.

Dion then talks his way into a yellow, ref has to stop the game, so the ball goes back to the spot of Dion's foul.

I'm not saying that's the correct way it should have gone, but seems plausible.

Yep, precisely my thoughts. 

God that team looking back on it was absolute pony compared to what we have now.

Sheehan is much improved. Santos and Johnston never really worked that well in a back 4. 

Baka as a right winger, Brockbank as a right back and Dixon in goal. No wonder we got battered. 
Much more even contest this time around with us as slight favourites and Wigan wanting to do everything they can to rain on our parade