Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shrewsbury (a)

L/H White

1,500 is seriously good going. I’d get there early if I was paying on the gate just to be on the safe side. Assume they’ve still got the Fanzone for away fans which has been ok previously.

We’re due to arrive in Shrewsbury just over 7 hours before kick off. What could possibly go wrong 🙃

3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

1,500 is seriously good going. I’d get there early if I was paying on the gate just to be on the safe side. Assume they’ve still got the Fanzone for away fans which has been ok previously.

We’re due to arrive in Shrewsbury just over 7 hours before kick off. What could possibly go wrong 🙃

Yeah Bwfc twitter say it’s open 

17 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

My instinct is that we look less secure from set pieces this season, not making a big thing of it but since you mentioned it....Derby's pen was from a corner, they "scored" but ref disallowed it to give the pen; Carlisle's 1st goal was admittedly 2nd phase but they return the ball virtually unchallenged (11 back) and Toal handballs it; 2nd goal from a corner we cleared to their unmarked man on the corner of the box (admittedly a jammy deflection); Stevenage 2nd goal was from defending a set piece, Jerome barged into their man to concede a pen; Wycombe's 2nd definitely a set piece goal, as you say left unmarked on the edge to pick his spot, good save but they put rebound in.  Not sure how it compares with last season but its a stretch to say we've improved.

Fair enough - I'll just say it's different from last season. To me it looks like that we're packing the box more to prevent people being left unmarked in front of goal more so that leaves the edge of the box undefended and reduces our out ball options so it comes back in. We'll concede less directly from a set piece but are more at risk in the play that follows.

1 hour ago, Stig said:

I agree, we look worse defending set pieces this season when including all the unchallenged second phase stuff. But on the positive side we look better on attacking set pieces. 

Definitely worth noting the great improvement this season. If we include Solihull, I make it 6 scored directly from heading or volleying in a corner: Iredale 2, and 1 each for Vic, Toal, Santos & Forrester. Plus the OG at Cheltenham, a pen Iredale won v Stevenage and the training ground routine at Charlton finished by Williams. Corners & free kicks resulted in 9 goals in 15 L1/FA Cup games, unheard of in recent years.

26 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Fair enough - I'll just say it's different from last season. To me it looks like that we're packing the box more to prevent people being left unmarked in front of goal more so that leaves the edge of the box undefended and reduces our out ball options so it comes back in. We'll concede less directly from a set piece but are more at risk in the play that follows.

That suggests a flaw in the plan 😆 Also it's one thing packing the box but it doesn't seem to result in marking players, so still every chance of a free header/shot, not necessarily 2nd phase either if the ball is played on the ground to the edge of the box (eg Wycombe). But it seems to be the way with loads of teams now, just seems odd, hopefully we'll benefit more than the opposition.

12 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That suggests a flaw in the plan 😆 Also it's one thing packing the box but it doesn't seem to result in marking players, so still every chance of a free header/shot, not necessarily 2nd phase either if the ball is played on the ground to the edge of the box (eg Wycombe). But it seems to be the way with loads of teams now, just seems odd, hopefully we'll benefit more than the opposition.

:) I never said it was a perfect plan Johnny. That's the way with football - emphasising one aspect it usually at the expense of another so it's up to Evatt to find the sweet spot.

22 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I know "first goal is vital" is a cliche, but it really is against Shrewsbury. No equalisers have been scored in their home games, and they haven't conceded at home since 16th Sep, and only 4 all season.

And they've only scored 2 since 15th August!

One of our usual quick starts will be particularly useful tonight

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I know "first goal is vital" is a cliche, but it really is against Shrewsbury. No equalisers have been scored in their home games, and they haven't conceded at home since 16th Sep, and only 4 all season.

And they've only scored 2 since 15th August!

4-4 it is then

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Can't make it tonight but I'm still a little annoyed by last years late capitulation tbh. Drinking in the fanzone at 11am on a frosty morning was character building though.

it took me well over an hour to get out of my exclusive development  :)

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Slightly more balanced bench, though I still don't see the need for three strikers.

Minor point though, and it's pretty much the team I expected.

Tbf 2 of those 'strikers' couldn't score in a brothel.

I'd rather have Matheson on the bench than Jerome or Nlundulu