Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (H)

Ani

Very good arm wrestle of a match. We were poor first half, dreadful second half and should have been out of the game by time subs were made. From then on loads better, they ended up hoofing it away at the end. 

Vic and Charles were equally bad, both looked like they were playing on Coronation St

Tough baptism for Taylor but did ok overall

Dempsey's best game for us, only one who kept driving at them, battling and putting a foot in. Couple of great pull backs decent strikers who attack the six yard box would have buried. 

Bod showed he still has value, great little ball to Collins, more good hold up play after. 

Barnsley played well, bit more open than under Duff and more prepared to throw numbers forward when they nicked the ball, even late on. 

We missed Thomason

Sheehan needs more support from his team mates in getting round the ref and getting into their players faces when he's getting clogged. We've too many who are too nice and mild mannered. Ref was weak on the rough stuff on him but we are too weak as a group.

Baxter completely lost the plot for a couple of mins with the passing out, cancelled it out, thankfully, with saves. Evatt may well wave his arms around if he goes long when there isn't a safe option in front of him but what would he have done if one of those hospital balls had resulted in a goal, applauded and encouraged him?

The obsession with playing a certain way, and the drumming in of the doctrine to the players makes them scared stiff of taking responsibility on the pitch and adapting to what's occurring in front of them. Evatt should be giving the players licence and confidence to be responsible, own situations and be flexible in finding solutions. 

They weren't a particularly good back line but we made it a doddle for them for an hour. As soon as the subs came (and with them a goal), and they had to start dealing with balls over and round them, forcing them to backpedal, stretch or turn back towards their own goal, they looked panicky. Sometimes, at this level, just getting the ball into the final third quickly and forcing mistakes will be enough to unlock the door

Collins had a dream few minutes, looked good, plenty to look forward to from him

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Agree he glides round the pitch, looks an athlete and defo got football brain. Looks an excellent signing. 

Agree with that.  I love watching a player with a brain, and also clearly 2 footed, fantastic right footed cross and great effort from outside box with his left.  Get him up front with Bod.

15 minutes ago, deeane Koontz said:

He's done plenty good work in recent times. And has improved a lot with his hold up and link up play which a blind mon could see.

Today he was poor.

Exaclty. Fuck me some folk just love deciding on a player and that's it. 

Vic has been fine and the partnership with Charles has seen us to 2nd in the league with games in hand for top.

Today however he was fucking awful and so was Charles. Both provided absolutely not outlet at all. 

Bod and Collins were like a breath of fresh air and it kickstarted Maghoma in to life too.

Them scoring first was a disaster for us and the game in general.

I dont give a fuck what level you are or what personnel you have, trying to combat two banks of defense for 70 mins is hard work and will always take something special to unlock or breakdown.

A draw isnt the end of the world. 

Collins looks a proper player and well ahead of Dion and Vic.

1 hour ago, masi 51 said:

Baxter is a cracking keeper but he puts us in trouble time and time again. Second half he was shocking then redeemed himself two or three times, he needs to mix it up at times.

Impressed with Taylor and thought Ashworth had a decent game. Dempsey mom

Collins and Dion to start next game

Baxter did exactly what the manager asks him to do, no blame on him at all, its not like he was passing it to the oppposition like you see a lot of keepers doing, he's instructed to pass it short otherwise he wouldn't be doing it.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Baxter did exactly what the manager asks him to do, no blame on him at all, its not like he was passing it to the oppposition like you see a lot of keepers doing, he's instructed to pass it short otherwise he wouldn't be doing it.

Hold on i thought Baxter was Brilliant....And i get he is under instruction but you have to at times think for yourself, if Sheehan is marked why pass to him

Indirectly he was passing to the opposition as Sheehan lost it three times in dangerous positions in that mad 15 min spell after half time.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, masi 51 said:

Hold on i thought Baxter was Brilliant....And i get he is under instruction but you have to at times think for yourself, if Sheehan is marked why pass to him

Indirectly he was passing to the opposition as Sheehan lost it three times in dangerous positions in that mad 15 min spell after half time.

Can't blame Baxter for someone else losing the ball ffs.

If you're playing it out from the back you've just got to be so much better than the team you're playing against.

Its like giving them a head start.

Ace when it works but fuck me it's difficult to watch when it doesnt.

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Can't blame Baxter for someone else losing the ball ffs.

of course you can....you dont pass to players in the centre of the eighteen yard box when they are tightly marked

Just asking for trouble ffs

1 hour ago, auckland_bwfc said:

I thought Paris did well, doesn't panic when it seems everyone else around him is, creates space with his ability to change the direction if play. Yeah his shot late second half was dog shit but i fancy him to hit the goal more often than not there. 

Think people forget these guys are kids and are with us because they're no finished article. I think he'll ultimately play at a higher level longer than any of our regular midfielders. And I'm a big fan of all of them. But only time will tell. 

And how good was josh earl for them! An example of someone that's come on since we saw him in a bwfc top

I agree on Maghoma, got so much ability and his passing in first half was generally superb.  For all his lack of end product, his goal at Carlisle was from a higher level, if he's still in L1 next season I'd expect it to be his last at that level for a while.

Agree on Earl, always liked him for us and disappointed we signed some far worse defenders after he left, looked very good for Fleetwood earlier in the season (scored their goal) and deserves to have got a far better club now.

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Well done sir 👏

Just read through the comments. Yours was the best review.

Then as I found myself thinking am I seeing something different about Maghoma as I thought he had a good game, so there needed to be a response to the doubters, I saw your follow up post- spot on 👍

Good game, good point. 

It's how it goes,  person makes decision on player, then utilises all blips and mistakes to reinforce their belief. Like gonzo mentions above. People make their mind up, good n bad. And won't be budged on it. 

I never thought thommo would make a player....then I'd never thought he'd have a shot on target...then I never thought he'd score a goal.....then I.never thought he'd score a goal with his right foot....then I'd never thought there'd be a day I didn't wanna see starting eleven with him not in it....glad I've been proved wrong on all these points.

Sometimes we should just cut them some slack. I don't see many of any players giving less than 100% most of the time. We're not doing to bad are we.....

Edited by auckland_bwfc

23 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Very good arm wrestle of a match. We were poor first half, dreadful second half and should have been out of the game by time subs were made. From then on loads better, they ended up hoofing it away at the end. 

Vic and Charles were equally bad, both looked like they were playing on Coronation St

Tough baptism for Taylor but did ok overall

Dempsey's best game for us, only one who kept driving at them, battling and putting a foot in. Couple of great pull backs decent strikers who attack the six yard box would have buried. 

Bod showed he still has value, great little ball to Collins, more good hold up play after. 

Barnsley played well, bit more open than under Duff and more prepared to throw numbers forward when they nicked the ball, even late on. 

We missed Thomason

Sheehan needs more support from his team mates in getting round the ref and getting into their players faces when he's getting clogged. We've too many who are too nice and mild mannered. Ref was weak on the rough stuff on him but we are too weak as a group.

Baxter completely lost the plot for a couple of mins with the passing out, cancelled it out, thankfully, with saves. Evatt may well wave his arms around if he goes long when there isn't a safe option in front of him but what would he have done if one of those hospital balls had resulted in a goal, applauded and encouraged him?

The obsession with playing a certain way, and the drumming in of the doctrine to the players makes them scared stiff of taking responsibility on the pitch and adapting to what's occurring in front of them. Evatt should be giving the players licence and confidence to be responsible, own situations and be flexible in finding solutions. 

They weren't a particularly good back line but we made it a doddle for them for an hour. As soon as the subs came (and with them a goal), and they had to start dealing with balls over and round them, forcing them to backpedal, stretch or turn back towards their own goal, they looked panicky. Sometimes, at this level, just getting the ball into the final third quickly and forcing mistakes will be enough to unlock the door

Collins had a dream few minutes, looked good, plenty to look forward to from him

post of the day.........well summed up

16 minutes ago, Matt Lofthouse said:

Free hit Tuesday night, really need the points and then kick on from there again.

Free hit? If only.

We’ve played 9 of the bottom 11 away from home.

Only Cambridge & Exeter left.

Got to win both those and our results against the bottom teams away from home with the exception of Reading have been excellent. 

The rest will be bloody tough. 

Some promising signs with the subs. 

I don't agree with the argument that Bod isn't good enough to start or won't offer us enough. Charles is just having a blip for me, but Victor shouldn't be starting in IMO if we want to push on. 

Evatt knows best though.

Need to start beating some of the bigger teams more consistently if we're to win this division. 

3 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Some promising signs with the subs. 

I don't agree with the argument that Bod isn't good enough to start or won't offer us enough. Charles is just having a blip for me, but Victor shouldn't be starting in IMO if we want to push on. 

Evatt knows best though.

Need to start beating some of the bigger teams more consistently if we're to win this division. 

Must not lose to those around us, beat the rest, then we’ll go up.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

of course you can....you dont pass to players in the centre of the eighteen yard box when they are tightly marked

Just asking for trouble ffs

Seeing as every player is being marked when the opposition press high, the only alternative is for Baxter to hoof every ball and hope for the best. Which is the opposite of the style that has got us to where we are.

29 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Exaclty. Fuck me some folk just love deciding on a player and that's it. 

Vic has been fine and the partnership with Charles has seen us to 2nd in the league with games in hand for top.

Today however he was fucking awful and so was Charles. Both provided absolutely not outlet at all. 

Bod and Collins were like a breath of fresh air and it kickstarted Maghoma in to life too.

Them scoring first was a disaster for us and the game in general.

I dont give a fuck what level you are or what personnel you have, trying to combat two banks of defense for 70 mins is hard work and will always take something special to unlock or breakdown.

A draw isnt the end of the world. 

Collins looks a proper player and well ahead of Dion and Vic.

It isn’t it really isn’t, Johnstone I said wouldn’t cut it he had and I applaud him, the facts are Maghoma is bog average at best, soon as I see improvement in Maghoma ill call it. Today he got booked first attempt at a tackle … let his marker go who scored… hit the moon with a shot while no one near him on edge of box… his display today wasnt even average. Some folk utterly deluded.