Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blackpool (A)

Duck Egg

10 hours ago, Big E said:

You are lying. Leigh is full of Wigan fans

I grew up in Culcheth, a decent amount of young fans developed over my youth in their years in the Prem. Cheap seats, easy to get to, can watch their "main" team play (United, Liverpool, Everton), could see why; but then they got a weird sense of entitlement as a fanbase. 

I find Wigan weird, love to beat them to put them in their place but never really saw them as "rivals" until these recent lower league years. On their rise to the Prem I actually almost looked out for their results, in a local team doing well sort of way. Hard to really hate a club when that's my prevailing thought of them as minnows fighting up the leagues, the fans will filter away now the Prem days are long gone and they'll drift down eventually to a natural level. 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

the fans will filter away now the Prem days are long gone and they'll drift down eventually to a natural level. 

A bit like Blackburn’s has done. 

It's quite simple why Wigan have no fans.  Because they're such a 'young' club they don't have the generational element that most clubs do, where you support a team because your dad did, and his dad did, etc.  All those older folk will have supported other NW teams.

So to support Wigan you'd have had to 'choose' to.  In fact, the two that I know did this because by all accounts their dad/grandad brought his sons up to be Horwich RMI fans, and when they relocated to Leigh he told his sons to pick a new team, but it couldn't be Bolton.  Very odd behaviour, but that's Horwich for you.

MK Dons get very similar shit support for the same reasons as Wigan.

53 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

I live and work in Wigan and believe you me they hate us and for me the feelings are mutual bunch of deluded tossers with no backbone!

I stand with you brother. They hate us and playing us is genuinely a big event for them.

A Horrible horrible club who's hatred of us flows through it's DNA. From the cleaner to the kitman and everyone inbetween they dispise everything and anything Bolton..

They really do believe their own hype and think that they as a club are at the very least equal in stature to us. 

Cunts to a man

I was born in the 60s and grew up in the 70s.

I had heard of the town of Wigan but had never realised it was close to Bolton, it was just somewhere you had heard of, you certainly would have never needed to go there. If you did ever leave Bolton it was to go the the seaside Lytham St Annes or Blackpool or maybe something in Manchester.

As i started working we had just dropped out of the top flight (old div1) , through the majority of the 70s we were on the up and were massive, kids would all support Bolton, even the ones who said they were utd or Liverpool fans would regularly attend Burnden, anyway at this time you started to meet other lads at work some were from Wigan but they (if were interested in football) supported BWFC.

One lad (from Chorley i think) announced he was a Blackburn Rovers supporter!!!!!

I can still see the shock and disbelief and the WTF?? Expressions on them young lads faces now. Nobody ever said they hated Bolton.

I was actually in my late 40s before i realised that Bury hated us🤭

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, batton carrier said:

I stand with you brother. They hate us and playing us is genuinely a big event for them.

A Horrible horrible club who's hatred of us flows through it's DNA. From the cleaner to the kitman and everyone inbetween they dispise everything and anything Bolton..

They really do believe their own hype and think that they as a club are at the very least equal in stature to us. 

Cunts to a man

Yet they seem to want as many former Bolton players as they can get their hands on.

3 hours ago, batton carrier said:

Cunts to a man

I started working there as a 17 year old and we hadn’t played them in my memory. I genuinely had no idea they didn’t like us. But their journey from when we played them in 1993 and then next played them in 2005 left them unrecognisable between the two, I’m sure. And then you have to consider we’ve spent most of the last 19 years being in the same division with a good few cup games thrown in besides. 

8 hours ago, DazBob said:

It's quite simple why Wigan have no fans.  Because they're such a 'young' club they don't have the generational element that most clubs do, where you support a team because your dad did, and his dad did, etc.  All those older folk will have supported other NW teams.

So to support Wigan you'd have had to 'choose' to.  In fact, the two that I know did this because by all accounts their dad/grandad brought his sons up to be Horwich RMI fans, and when they relocated to Leigh he told his sons to pick a new team, but it couldn't be Bolton.  Very odd behaviour, but that's Horwich for you.

MK Dons get very similar shit support for the same reasons as Wigan.

One brother picked Wigan, the other picked Blackburn.....

Their sons follow same as dads...

5 hours ago, Whitestar said:

I was born in the 60s and grew up in the 70s.

I had heard of the town of Wigan but had never realised it was close to Bolton, it was just somewhere you had heard of, you certainly would have never needed to go there. If you did ever leave Bolton it was to go the the seaside Lytham St Annes or Blackpool or maybe something in Manchester.

As i started working we had just dropped out of the top flight (old div1) , through the majority of the 70s we were on the up and were massive, kids would all support Bolton, even the ones who said they were utd or Liverpool fans would regularly attend Burnden, anyway at this time you started to meet other lads at work some were from Wigan but they (if were interested in football) supported BWFC.

One lad (from Chorley i think) announced he was a Blackburn Rovers supporter!!!!!

I can still see the shock and disbelief and the WTF?? Expressions on them young lads faces now. Nobody ever said they hated Bolton.

I was actually in my late 40s before i realised that Bury hated us🤭

Bury fans didn’t used to hate us Whitestar. I grew up in the fifties and sixties and to be fair many fans went to both as they never played at home together. Obviously during the 70s the idiots got involved leading to the segregation instead of all fans just mingling together. After that things changed for all clubs.

49 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Bury fans didn’t used to hate us Whitestar. I grew up in the fifties and sixties and to be fair many fans went to both as they never played at home together. Obviously during the 70s the idiots got involved leading to the segregation instead of all fans just mingling together. After that things changed for all clubs.

Aye they certainly seemed to hate us in those couple of fixtures in 99.

Never seen an angrier fanbase. Absolutely seething with rage :D

3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

We only laugh at Bury....

They didn't like that did they :)

It was a brilliant day was that. Second half of that game we tore them apart with Arnie, Frandsen and Johansen. Newsome and Warhurst as a brand new central defensive combination.

10 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It was a brilliant day was that. Second half of that game we tore them apart with Arnie, Frandsen and Johansen. Newsome and Warhurst as a brand new central defensive combination.

Id spent all the pre game selling white love fanzines for @Smileywhich probably contained plenty of material by your good self!

2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Id spent all the pre game selling white love fanzines for @Smileywhich probably contained plenty of material by your good self!

Must have been one of the last few unless I'm getting my chronology all wrong. Think it was late 90s when it stopped.

6 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Must have been one of the last few unless I'm getting my chronology all wrong. Think it was late 90s when it stopped.

It was yes. The last ones were 99ish.

I actually remember a piece you wrote about keeping the club going through difficult times. Spend money in the ground and buy a shirt etc.

We were in the middle of a big lull. 2nd season down and gates were absolutely shocking. Club seemed be on its arse.

....upstep Sir Edddie and Big Sam :)

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Aye they certainly seemed to hate us in those couple of fixtures in 99.

Never seen an angrier fanbase. Absolutely seething with rage :D

Not much has changed, they even hate their own fans now