Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

ReeBok Atmosphere

Krimzon

Its been discussed quite a bit from what Ive read on other threads. The new ground has never had the same atmosphere as Burnden with half the crowd, and midweek dark nights were always better IIRC . Intimidating to fuck, old fashioned ground with 40% nutters .(I remember getting bollocked of some old boy for not singing loud enough at a reserve game) .

There were so many games at Burnden where the roof nearly came off but what has been the best match atmosphere at the ReeBok ?

I can only think of two ...

Home to Atletico Madrid 

and home to Newcastle in a 4-1 defeat with Bo hansen in nets . 

Any others ? 

We've had plenty tbf. It was rocking this season after we scored against Blackpool.

But all time? You're not beating Forest for sheer pandemonium.

Burnden was soulless like anywhere else at times with 8k on v Leyton Orient or summet.

• Site Supporter

Nostalgia clouds the memory with Burnden.

Don’t get me wrong I loved the place and there were some proper good atmospheres in the 90s; Preston, Wolves, Swindon to name a few.

Too young 😊, for 60/70, but the 80s was dire most of the time, rattling around with acres of space around you getting beat most weeks! 

As pointed out above, we are still capable of pulling out a good atmosphere at the Reebok, certainly more than 2!!!

Charlton home in cup was another standout for me

I've always said it but having our most vociferous fans stuffed in to a corner of the ground like it's an away end is bloody ridiculous and doesn't help in the slightest.

Look at Blackpool, half our crowd size but probably the best atmosphere in the league, all because of one end is bang at it all game.

• Members
13 minutes ago, BeeversLeftPeg said:

Atletico is streets ahead of any other game for me, but the FA Cup replay against Arsenal (2007?) where Meite equalised in the last minute to force extra time was mega. Non-stop 2nd half and then all the way through extra time.

I was at that one and it was superb. Viewing from afar however, that 2-2 draw with Leicester seemed to have the roof shaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbtomthOvLA

v. Leicester, Savage & Mike Riley 2001. 9 men. 94th minute equaliser. I'd have happily strangled Riley with one of Savage's dismembere legs.

No lack of atmosphere there.

There were great days at Burnden. Many but let's not overlook the dull, lifeless, defeats against Hartlepool & Exeter. Rain pouring through roofs, standing 2" of piss going for a slash in an ever reducing terracing ... nor the fckg Normid.

• Members

I get the criticism of Burnden during the dire years but, fucking hell, when it was rocking it took some matching. 3-2 v Liverpool, 3-0 v Man City, 2-1 v Sunderland, 3-2 v Stoke and plenty more.

A sad mistake to leave Burnden in my view. History, tradition, ease of access and most of all, intimidating for visitors. Huge fuck up in the name of so called 'progress'.

Best Burnden atmosphere for me back as a kid, Sunderland 2-1 win Dec 1975. About 42k on, first time my dad took me in the stand (used to be on the big gravel steps at back of embankment so I could see). Thousands belting out I'm dreaming of a whites christmas. Dunt get better than that.

(and Sam's header, obviously)

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

I would say the ratio of great atmosphere games to flat ones at Burnden is similar to that of the Reebok.

Yes.

It makes sense that with terracing you're able to be closer, and to an extent more "anonymous". Chants etc start and propagate more readily. 

Nevertheless, with 4000 on at Burnden, the atmosphere wasn't always the best.

I do think that this season in particular, some of the home matches have seen "steady' play from the off, and although most results are positive, the games can take a while to get going, so fans need patience.

When the team starts more on the front foot, it can set the mood and atmosphere earlier.

I think you can only measure this comparison on good days at both. When Burnden was good it was very good. The TS at its best isn't as good as Burnden. But that's not saying it can't be good because it can.

Burnden was just as drab as the TS when it wasn't rocking.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

I've always said it but having our most vociferous fans stuffed in to a corner of the ground like it's an away end is bloody ridiculous and doesn't help in the slightest.

Look at Blackpool, half our crowd size but probably the best atmosphere in the league, all because of one end is bang at it all game.

My names @gonzo and I love orange

Personally think the atmosphere has been a lot better this season. Winning helps fans make an atmosphere. 

a standing section would encourage the atmosphere and encourage people to move together.

a lot of rose tinted glasses for Burnden. I remember plenty of flat nights. It was also a shit hole 

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)

The nil apiece following  tonking after tonking in the bad old days. We had no players, no money no manager to speak of.  What match. Not anight match.

Edited by FrancisFogarty
Talking bollocks.

Beating ‘Boro and West Ham at The Reebok to avoid relegation from the Prem were both good atmospheres the night match v Burnley when Coyle first became our manager was crackin’

Most atmospheres in the Premier league were decent to be fair.

The Forest game to avoid relegation.

Beating Sun’lun 6-0.

Our final home game to gain promotion from Lg one under Parkys reign.

There’s been loads.

Burnden at it’s best was fantastic, but there were many drab/dire atmospheres.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter

Remember going to Anfield, new year's day, a while back.

Draw.

Those that regularly eulogies over the scouse atmosphere weren't there that day.

Hang overs or whatever it was far from a European night.

Sometimes the atmosphere is great. Sometimes it isn't, for a variety of reasons.

I was never old enough to see Burnden unfortunately.

In my lifetime Atletico at home is the clear winner, it was just so loud, I remember the club gave out those little inflatable things to make more of a racket, worked though.

To be honest, last season playoff 1st leg for Barnsley had me shocked, the atmosphere was fantastic, more so before and at kick off. The 'crazy corner' was extended into the south stand and was loud as usual.

However what really took me by surprise was the noise from the North Stand. It was amazing to hear. Hoping we can make more noise like that for the remaining home games this season. Especially Pompey game. Get the big flag out as well, anything to help improve the atmosphere.

2 hours ago, ZiggyStardust said:

I would say the ratio of great atmosphere games to flat ones at Burnden is similar to that of the Reebok.

I stood on the Burnden Paddock every home game in the 80s and 90s and the standout difference is the number of songs we had then.  There were very few games, even if there was 5k on, when loads of songs didn't get an airing from the main singers in the Paddock (and Manny Road too if there was anything to sing about).  

The Reebok is louder if it all comes together with the (generally) bigger crowds and the acoustics of the roof, and it can sound superb, but there was variety in the backing at Burnden that has sadly been lost.  Even the simple songs like "We are Bolton, from the North (West)" and "If you're going to Barnsley clap your hands"!!  - the youth of today wouldn't know these songs ever existed.