Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

1 Hour 25 Minutes

globaldiver

• Site Supporter

Makes my fucking piss boil.

I had what I would describe as a fairly clear run from the Thelwall Viaduct to Horwich tonight just after 5.

Still took an hour, yet I was chuffed with that. That's where we're at with this.

Don't know who is ultimately responsible for the public transport options but they want fucking dead hard with something that will leave their arsehole looking a popped balloon.

Edited by Spider

Makes my fucking piss boil.

I had what I would describe as a fairly clear run from the Thelwall Viaduct to Horwich tonight just after 5.

Still took an hour, yet I was chuffed with that. That's where we're at with this.

Don't know who is ultimately responsible for the public transport options but they want fucking dead hard with something that will leave their arsehole looking a popped balloon.

The whole M6 is as bad as it's ever been IMO, the roadworks through Cheshire are horrific

Out of interest which way would you go at that time, M62 or further North then across to Horwich?

I'd be tempted as far north as the M65 and back down

The whole M6 is as bad as it's ever been IMO, the roadworks through Cheshire are horrific

Out of interest which way would you go at that time, M62 or further North then across to Horwich?

I get off at Standish and go the back roads.

• Site Supporter

Usual route is m62/m60/m61

But I've tried everything over the last few months including the m65, going through Leigh, Wigan, Manchester and it's all fucking bollocks.

This smart motorway will make zero difference

• Site Supporter

But I've tried everything over the last few months including the m65, going through Leigh, Wigan, Manchester and it's all fucking bollocks.

Drive to and from Wolverhampton quite a bit, i got so pissed off with the m6 that I now go M54, a41, a49 all through Cheshire, takes about half an hour longer but just happy to be moving all the time rather than looking at brake lights and people picking their nose and texting

If on the m6, I always come off at thellwall and go a57 then through culcheth/ glazebury to the East Lancs then up through Walkden.

Not much use for Horwich like, but the roads to the east Lancs are usually clear run

But it's an upgrade

• Site Supporter

Drive to and from Wolverhampton quite a bit, i got so pissed off with the m6 that I now go M54, a41, a49 all through Cheshire, takes about half an hour longer but just happy to be moving all the time rather than looking at brake lights and people picking their nose and texting

If on the m6, I always come off at thellwall and go a57 then through culcheth/ glazebury to the East Lancs then up through Walkden.

Not much use for Horwich like, but the roads to the east Lancs are usually clear run

That's my exact route from Telford.

I cover the 55 miles to the m56 in less time than it takes for the last 30 miles. That includes about forty fucking tractors on the a49.

Sorry to hear you've got to work with dog heads

This with bells, whistles, glitter and fucking tinsel on.

Left a hotel near Twickenham at 1pm yesterday. Sat Nav said I'd be home at 4.50pm. Got in at 6.30. M6 fucked from Stoke onwards as were the A roads when I came off it.

Still................better than the 11 hour journey to get there on Monday when this Merc Wanker's turbo decided to blow in the outside lane of the M40 at 75mph. Fucking frightening losing all power at that speed. Made a right mess under the bonnet and on the driver's seat.............

It took me nearly 10 hours to get back from Brighton the other week.

The bulk of the being on the M6 around Cheshire.

(If anyone mentions sandbach services it's semi erect penis time)

• Moderators

More like J14 to J20 but it;s definitely getting worse

And that stretch from Haydock to where it meets the M61 is as bad nowadays

It's spreading

I used to work near j15 and got on at j19 and back in 2000 there was always roadworks so nowt changed in all that time

Another regular to Wolvo, and I always use the A49 coming back, as it's in my time.

Going down I'm not as arsed as it's company time, just check google maps and the satnav, if there's loads of red then I avoid. The real killer is when a lane gets taken out through the roadworks section, and there's nowhere to move it to. I always stop over as well, never there and back in day, and thats ridiculous when its 91 miles door to door.

Sometimes come back through Irlam on the A56 as well. A couple of slow spots but most of it is 40-50

This time of year my route home  (Warrington - Bromley Cross) more often than not is M6, M65 and then thru Abbey Village to Belmont and cut thru to Egerton. Extra 15 miles, but its rarely more than 1 hr. Slow going upto J26, but after that's its usually pretty clear. The mornings are a nightmare and I've given up trying to find a better way than just getting going as early as poss.

Google Maps is the key though use it every day with live traffic routing.

In fairness the stretch from the top of the M6 toll Northbound is much better now it's 4 lanes, I suppose +33% extra capacity does that

Granted it took far too long to complete but it has improved things

im assuming they are doing the same all through Cheshire and that's what the roadworks are about? If so that should help, fingers crossed it's completed before 2020

Until then it's a fucking disaster all the way from Stafford to the M62

Edited by birch-chorley

• Site Supporter

In a piece of fucking hilarious irony, I today received a £100 fine and 3 points for speeding

On the Mfucking6!!!!!!!

Sunday morning at 8.34. I was doing 90mph and it was completely deserted. I'm almost happy to pay it.

In a piece of fucking hilarious irony, I today received a £100 fine and 3 points for speeding

On the Mfucking6!!!!!!!

Sunday morning at 8.34. I was doing 90mph and it was completely deserted. I'm almost happy to pay it.

I'd use some special glue on the envelope to let them know how happy you are!!!

See I've got a different view on "Smart" motorways

I've used the M42 pretty much since it was built. It used to be a fucking nightmare. Now, unless there's a big smash it does tend to move even if it's 10/20mph at times

Similarly, used to take me 2 hours to get into Leeds city centre queuing from Ainley Top all the way to Leeds. Nowadays it's usually an hour unless there's been a crash which is almost always on the "non-smart" sections

M1 near Luton the same so I'll give the M60 and M6 a chance