Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

5 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Hopefully with Coventry at home and Leicester away they won't get another point.

Unfortunately, I can't see Sheff W, Argyle and Brum getting the points they need to sink them

• Site Supporter

Only just seen how close it was. What an absolute fucking joke. VAR is taking far more away from the game than it's giving, by a long way. A story that Coventry fans would have told their grandkids in 50 years time doesn't happen now. It's deleted from history because someone in a little booth nowhere near the pitch used a computer to determine someone's boot made them offside by an inch. If the football authorities think pixel-perfect decisions are what the fans really want, they might as well just get the managers of each team to have a game of FIFA.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.ebac175cc8f3f4fcf5d4e31060aaea56.jpg

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Only just seen how close it was. What an absolute fucking joke. VAR is taking far more away from the game than it's giving, by a long way. A story that Coventry fans would have told their grandkids in 50 years time doesn't happen now. It's deleted from history because someone in a little booth nowhere near the pitch used a computer to determine someone's boot made them offside by an inch. If the football authorities think pixel-perfect decisions are what the fans really want, they might as well just get the managers of each team to have a game of FIFA.

Aye, like you, I thought and preferred the offside rule to be about their being "daylight" 

Its almost like they've changed the rule because VAR is available and in turn you have to double check VAR to see if something is offside 

I don't have an issue with VAR being used to check things but I do think that the rule is shite if that is deemed to be offside 

6 hours ago, Cheese said:

Zooming in on that photo, i wonder at what point Wan- Bissaka had the toes on his right foot amputated?

Favvers a club foot.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Have to draw the line somewhere.....if not there, where?

dunno to be honest, but offside by those margins is shite

I get that it's the right decision but he's hardly gaining an advantage

I get everything will be checked

so it's the clear and obvious bit that needs re-framing

because sometimes it takes ages to make a descision, and sometimes it's not clear and obvious, like that one wasn't

16 minutes ago, Zico said:

dunno to be honest, but offside by those margins is shite

I get that it's the right decision but he's hardly gaining an advantage

I get everything will be checked

so it's the clear and obvious bit that needs re-framing

because sometimes it takes ages to make a descision, and sometimes it's not clear and obvious, like that one wasn't

It should move back to the linesman actually making the decision that they believe and then VAR used to check that there’s no major fuck up in that decision. ‘Major fuck up’ would have to be defined as something like daylight between players, or a certain distance between those lines, and preferably it would be automated, but ultimately it shifts back to on-field decisions in the main with VAR just hiding in the background in case someone’s a foot offside etc., not measuring people’s toenails which I think is the most infuriating thing at the moment. If the Coventry lad wore size 6s rather than 11s then one of the greatest moments in the cup’s history wouldn’t have just been magically deleted and that’s where it’s so frustrating.

• Members
26 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Draw it from United players hand which is to my eyes looks further forward than his foot. Utter disgrace of a decision. 

The hand is never used for offside because you can't score with your hand.

These marginal decisions are a joke though. The offside rule is supposed to be there to stop attackers gaining an advantage. When we are talking millimetres though it turns it into a farce.

8 minutes ago, DazBob said:

These marginal decisions are a joke though. The offside rule is supposed to be there to stop attackers gaining an advantage. When we are talking millimetres though it turns it into a farce.

Didn’t know that… anyhow when it’s so tight it should go with the attacker, and also thing if we’re going to use VAR it should be decided by a computer like cricket decisions are so there is consistency… at present there isn’t any consistency in decisions. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

If all the ball has to be over the line for a goal, why not all the player for offside

I like it but then we'd be arguing about a heel at the back of the striker instead of a toenail at the front.

If the film is shot at 25 frames per second there is room for error re exactly when the ball left the passer's foot and the body shape of the receiver depends on the position he's moving from and to in order to receive the pass so whilst I think VAR is good for monitoring foul play, I think they should drop it for offside and leave it the ref and linesman to decide - as they do in 99.9% of games.

And if they insist on keeping it they need to improve the tech e.g. short of implants, they could fit the player's socks, shorts or shirts (or a stick on patch on their chest) with a single sensor and let it be decided on which sensor is ahead regardless of arms, legs and big toes - which would work the same as goal line tech and send a signal to the ref's watch - thereby eliminating the need for the video watchers in a different location and the delays.

Edited by Wanderlust

There is also a question of frame rate as well I read - in that calling out decisions by those sort of margins is unfair because its not entitely accurate from when the ball is actually played you simply wouldn't be 100% be able to make this call.

Those making these decisions have been put in an impossible position and there has to be, as has been said reviews to bring VAR to heel by not saying its about looking at this sort of marginal call.

Think how many goals would have be written off, surely one of a good forward's great skills is to play on that line when required. Take that away and you're getting a totally different, and not as exciting, game.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Draw it from United players hand which is to my eyes looks further forward than his foot. Utter disgrace of a decision. 

Hand doesn't count, as it's not a part of the body with which you can play the ball.

As for this system, it wasn't long ago that football folk and fans at large wanted technology to assist where errors were happening. 

Is this now a big change of heart?

58 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

There is also a question of frame rate as well I read - in that calling out decisions by those sort of margins is unfair because its not entitely accurate from when the ball is actually played you simply wouldn't be 100% be able to make this call.

Those making these decisions have been put in an impossible position and there has to be, as has been said reviews to bring VAR to heel by not saying its about looking at this sort of marginal call.

Think how many goals would have be written off, surely one of a good forward's great skills is to play on that line when required. Take that away and you're getting a totally different, and not as exciting, game.

Agreed. There is variation in the determination of when the ball is played so in no way can they conclude that someone is off side by a millimetre. Farce!

2 hours ago, DazBob said:

Ask Maradona

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Hand doesn't count, as it's not a part of the body with which you can play the ball.

As for this system, it wasn't long ago that football folk and fans at large wanted technology to assist where errors were happening. 

Is this now a big change of heart?

Deffo. 

Ball over the line is a good one to automate  

Everything else? Leave it to the ref. Course we’ll get errors, but at the moment all the joy is getting sucked out of the game.