Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

New Manager

Take Hunt Off

I'm guessing you were too young to watch him? I can only remember 2 goals against Gretna, that goal at Wembley and one against Wolves where he confused everyone including himself. He was shit, popular lad as he ran about a lot and smiled, but shit.

Everton away in the cup sticks in the mind as well, other than that.....meh

Edited by Sweep

Owen Coyle wasn't a good player for us, lets have it straight. He was well liked, but not rated.

Spot on that, Bolton 'legend' my arse. I remember at the time he was a bit of a joke at first, three stone wet through and clearly out of his depth, the chances he missed drew comparison to the legendary Ian Moores. He was shite. But he tried and as we all know God loves a trier so eventually the fans liked him, cheering him on like you would the fat kid in the school sack race. I rate him one of the worst strikers we signed during that period. 

If coyle wasn't a very good player why did 90% of an away stand at Burnley chant his name?

Half the end at Bristol were singing Nicky Hunt should play up front.

Owen Coyle was a cult hero not a legend imo.

Folk remember him well because he always put a shift in and the goals he did score were pretty important ones.

And he was part of the best era in a lot of fans lifetime.

Much the same as stelios.

Edited by gonzo

Half the end at Bristol were singing Nicky Hunt should play up front.

Owen Coyle was a cult hero not a legend imo.

Folk remember him well because he always put a shift in and the goals he did score were pretty important ones.

And he was part of the best era in a lot of fans lifetime.

Much the same as stelios.

I'd agree with that. I remember prior to the play off final v Reading when I was about 13 - we lived in one of those terrace houses near the lights on Wigan Rd opposite Shell garage. Super John used to live on Beaumont Chase opposite and we'd always shout over to him as he was leaving for training and we were on our way to School.

Just before our trip to Wembley - I put a load of flags and scarves in the window of our house facing the stationary cars at the lights.

I remember one day my Mum calling me into the front room as there was a bloke beeping his horn - looked out of the window and it was Owen Coyle with his big cheesey grin giving it the thumbs up.

Can't beat memories like that when you're a kid. Little touches like that are reasons we become fans.

Coyle wasn't shit

He was an alright Championship level striker. Nice touch but weak as piss.

He was part of an amazing time at the club; Everton away for example....

Typical BiPolarways, he was either shite or a legend....whereas in reality he was in between

I'd agree with that. I remember prior to the play off final v Reading when I was about 13 - we lived in one of those terrace houses near the lights on Wigan Rd opposite Shell garage. Super John used to live on Beaumont Chase opposite and we'd always shout over to him as he was leaving for training and we were on our way to School.

Just before our trip to Wembley - I put a load of flags and scarves in the window of our house facing the stationary cars at the lights.

I remember one day my Mum calling me into the front room as there was a bloke beeping his horn - looked out of the window and it was Owen Coyle with his big cheesey grin giving it the thumbs up.

Can't beat memories like that when you're a kid. Little touches like that are reasons we become fans.

How times change.

Nowadays, If my little lad told me there was a bible bashing creepy Scottish bloke smiling and beeping outside his bedroom window id be out with my rounders bat.

Edited by gonzo

How times change.

Nowadays, If my little lad told me there was a bible bashing creepy Scottish bloke smiling and beeping outside his bedroom window id be out with my rounders bat.

I'd initially written 'smiling and honking his horn' but edited it in leiu of the likely reaction! :-)

• Members

How times change.

If you need a new grip on your rounders bat give me a shout.