Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rochdale 1 Wanderers 0

burnden

• Site Supporter

I've had that oh fuck I'm going to die by crushing feeling twice. One was away at Wigan in the 80s when my feet got lifted off the floor as we left the ground and I could see me getting nearer and nearer a concrete bollard. Can't remember how I avoided it in the end. Same night a Bolton fan stuck a knife in a police horse, proper cunts trick that

Blackpool away 1986 ish boxing day I think nearly crushed to pulp in that back street had to climb onto a car to avoid two broken legs as I was trapped against the bumper.Old guy owner was at his gate hitting me with his walking stick (understandably) as I pleaded with a young copper on horseback to move back & relieve the crush but he was shitting bricks and didn't know what to do eventually I managed to get over the cat to the other side.That was the day they opened the gates onto the derelict spoin kop to relieve the pressure.

Only time I've though I'd get crushed at the football was coming out of old Trafford, over that bridge behind the Stratford end.

It's a fucking awful feeling.

Hull away, on that Friday night

Major crush behind the goal when we scored, i shit myself...people were being trampled on the floor.

Suddenly realised the dad i had been standing next to was now about 30 feet away !

Hull away, on that Friday night

Major crush behind the goal when we scored, i shit myself...people were being trampled on the floor.

Suddenly realised the dad i had been standing next to was now about 30 feet away !

I was at the front on the side.

When we scored and everyone piled forward my dad panicked and rushed down to the front pulling bodies out of the way to find me.

I was on the pitch :D

Derby away League cup QF Dec 1976 was pretty cosy.

Worse for me was Donington 1988 when Guns n Roses came on. Me and the future Mrs had been trying to work our way forward during the Helloween set. We managed to get just in front of the sound check when they came on. Spent the next 30 mins trying to drag her out to the side. Took a few blows for my troubles but my football experiences told me this was fucking bad so I didn't  give a shit.

107,000 pissed up and stoned heavy metal fans on a sloping field without any barriers was not a great idea. I was amazed only two lads died.

So this has morphed into a 'time I nearly pegged it watching Wanderers".

That Sherpa Crewe game, there were only about 3 steps on the terrace, then a barrier on the back wall, that everyone was stood atop, whilst clinging for dear life to the back fence. Was proper scary when we got a late winner (Browny?).

Remember that fence at Blackpool being a right bastard to get over, because it angled back over at the top. We got some stick in the media for that, for invading the pitch, because it was week after Hillsborough.

• Site Supporter

Blackpool away 1986 ish boxing day I think nearly crushed to pulp in that back street had to climb onto a car to avoid two broken legs as I was trapped against the bumper.Old guy owner was at his gate hitting me with his walking stick (understandably) as I pleaded with a young copper on horseback to move back & relieve the crush but he was shitting bricks and didn't know what to do eventually I managed to get over the cat to the other side.That was the day they opened the gates onto the derelict spoin kop to relieve the pressure.

Yep highly unpleasant that

Crewe away (fuck knows when) night match in some cup.

Lost a trainer and went down to retrieve, was like drowning..

Browny scored a near post header, meanwhile some pissed up cunt was pissing between my feet.