Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

3 hours ago, meanderson93 said:

It's getting to the point now that you have to start questioning whether Evatt/Markham have an insane ability to scout RWBs or if the system we use just heavily favours creating to the right side of the formation. 

It seems somewhat unlikely that we have had Fossey, Bradley and now JDC all be our most important creative outlets in the final 3rd purely by chance of them being that good. When you sprinkle in that Jones, Kioso and even Hickman and Isgrove have looked capable and influential at times operating in that role, it starts to become quite clear that the system is heavily weighted on the right side being key to how we play. 

Makes you wonder why more oppositions haven't keyed into that more, and I wonder if it's a conscious thing from us or just a subconscious bias by our midfield and defence to favour playing that way as the majority are right footed? 

I’m sure there are plenty of factors (eg Santos favours long balls to the right) but also I wouldn’t underestimate the role Gethin Jones plays in it. He pushes forward more than Iredale and if our opponents’ left backs / wingers have to cover GJ too, it will inevitably leave more space for our RWB to overlap and create chances.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I don't think anyone would disagree; they clearly see something. 

Unfortunately it hasn't come to fruition, and he isn't getting the game time to show it.

Scored a pearler at Bristol Rovers last season, so it's in there, but how does that become a regular occurrence?

God knows. I’ll be honest, I don’t see a player in there either - I’m not sure what attributes he’s got and other than that goal at Bristol rovers there’s been very little to cling onto.

I’ve got a feeling he’s a massive confidence player and has the potential to be really streaky. Obviously you need to play him enough for him to build his confidence and then see if that theory is true, and that means less time for Charles, Vic (and probably JDB when fit), but it’s the only explanation that I can think of as to why we’ve all seen one thing, yet Evatt after 6 months of working with him every day decided something completely different and spent a relatively significant amount of money on him (based on the rumoured fee).

Sure I’ve read before that under Ralph Hasenhüttl at Southampton there was a spell Dan was playing Premier league games. So he’s not the only manger who sees there is a player there. Be interesting to see how it turns out. He seems a genuinely good lad so I hope it does work out.

The thing is I genuinely can't see Dan scoring more than maybe 2/3 goals this season at most, if he was getting the chances like Victor then it'd be a good sign but he's lucky to get one shot a match purely because he doesn't get himself in the box to position himself for a potential tap in or to get on the end of something. His nature is to drop off deep, attempt to link play, keep the ball moving with simple little passes & win fouls up the pitch. If he had a decent shot from outside the area like Gomes/Dapo he'd be a threat but we won't know if he has because he's not confident in having a pop from the positions he loves to pick the ball up in. 

5 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

We went through time with kachunga sometimes you have to move on (I’m not saying ditch him now) but 3 years seemed very excessive imagine we go up how would he fair in the championship 

Same bench seat, different league!

Dan comes short for the ball a lot and if he manages to control it, lays it back to the midfielders to move us up the pitch - and I'm fine with that - but as soon as he gets near the box he seems to go into panic mode, can't sort his feet out, wants too many touches and is shot shy - all the things you don't want from a striker.

If it's possible to teach someone like Dan to have better control, make better, quicker passing decisions and shoot as soon as the opportunity arises he'll be fine, but I'm not sure it is. He has the physicality and athleticism but that's all I've seen so far and I'm slightly concerned Evatt is :flog:

22 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Yep. Me too. The 2nd or 3rd game of his first season, v Colchester away, I was convinced he was worse than Liam Trotter.

I saw him at Colls in one of his first games for Bolton, a behind closed doors match, he was absolutely shocking, I said to Simon Marland that there was no way he would 'make it', I am so glad he persevered

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I don't think we've missed him at all.

Still got the previously discussed concerns, but in terms of goals and chances, we're doing better.

Both strikers doing well, and plenty of creativity. 

I think that's more of a JDC v Bradley question. JDC won't score as many as Bradley did but will probably set up a lot more. 

1 hour ago, jmjhb said:

I think that's more of a JDC v Bradley question. JDC won't score as many as Bradley did but will probably set up a lot more. 

So in essence we're solving one problem whilst creating another? Just goes to show it's not about player x v player y but how the team performs as a whole. Ian Evatt's dream (Amy aside).

10 hours ago, Traf said:

He won't.

They don't get everything right.

I've been ID'ing talent for the athletics group I run for years, I do ok, we've produced some age group internationals, but I don't get it right every time by any means and the reasons can be many.  Evatt's not got this one right, that lads not enough of a footballer to even make a decent contribution to to getting us up, never mind operating a level above.

Time's not on his side either, long term athlete development models say that by the time they get to mid-20s if key balance, co-ordination and technical skills aren't there the chances of them being embedded are limited, no matter how good the coaches think they are 

2 hours ago, jmjhb said:

Bradley was superb & will have a great career but he's early work in progress. Teams had worked him out & were piling in on him. He was being fouled a lot & he was reacting. His bookings mounted up.

D-C will not have the same career but here & now he offers a great deal. Very impressed do far.

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

So in essence we're solving one problem whilst creating another? Just goes to show it's not about player x v player y but how the team performs as a whole. Ian Evatt's dream (Amy aside).

Going off Transfermarkt Bradley had 5 goals and 5 assists last season. JDC, in 6 games, has 3 assists and 1(?) goal. 

So, kind of? But the stats are in our favour right now.

57 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Bradley was superb & will have a great career but he's early work in progress. Teams had worked him out & were piling in on him. He was being fouled a lot & he was reacting. His bookings mounted up.

D-C will not have the same career but here & now he offers a great deal. Very impressed do far.

JDC's arguably enjoying the same honeymoon period Bradley had first couple of months of last season, they might work out how to stifle him too but for now he looks a good find, lots to like about his quick feet, pace, control and crossing ability 

3 hours ago, ianofcleveleys said:

technical skills aren't there the chances of them being embedded are limited, no matter how good the coaches think they are 

Totally agree although I've just learnt how to do the flip flap/elastico properly - and I'm effing ancient now.

And nobody used to do that when I was playing as a youth but a lot of young folk I play socially with/against now use it - think it was a Ronaldhino thing originally.

Dan might be able to outrun me a 100 times over - but he has the touch of a rapist.

9 hours ago, ianofcleveleys said:

JDC's arguably enjoying the same honeymoon period Bradley had first couple of months of last season, they might work out how to stifle him too but for now he looks a good find, lots to like about his quick feet, pace, control and crossing ability 

I think the better teams already know how to stifle our wing backs. We saw this against Wigan this year and a few times last. 
Use the space behind the wing backs and play in there, Evatt has mentioned that our style can leave us vulnerable during transition, which I think means we can look short when teams play quickly in behind us. 

Jones had a much better game V Derby so a lot went down the right. First couple of games we were as good if not better on the left. IMO this was because we had the left footed Iredale there. Toal  being right footed is not as natural going forward and when he does it tends to be more central. (Not knocking Toal who has been excellent btw)