Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Just had a look, as I'd not heard of him. Another Luton player out on loan!

Interesting that he is from Peterborough- wonder if they'd be sniffing given that JCH may be off.

Check his goals out for Colchester, he’s quick, physical and has good feet. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, L/H White said:

This guy usually spot on to

Doing alright at Colchester on loan 

Signed on a season long loan for them, so guess it's up to Luton as to whether they want him in league one for the rest of the season

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Surely they're all important? With different qualities needed.

Even if we got cover in for wing backs, they would need a bit of time to acclimatise. Ones we currently have are fine and have shown their capabilities, at least as a temporary squad replacement.

You didn’t embolden the word ‘arguably’ that I wrote before ‘our most important position’. Of course all are important, but with the way we attack and how the whole side is set up to get to the byline, I’d be surprised if Evatt would be keen on relying on a player that was signed for our B team and was on the bench against Burton for the first time in 15 games in the league.

I hope this doesn’t come across as anything against Matheson, he’s clearly a talent from his history and I very much hope he finds that with us and becomes a valuable member of the team, but I don’t reckon Evatt will be too comfortable with him being our RWB cover now that Jones has gone - that was unforeseen and I’d imagine it’s changed Evatt’s plans slightly.

I might be completely wrong, just think it’s an interesting discussion considering how things have changed with Jones suddenly getting that call up.

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, L/H White said:

don't know much about said player, but Gabe knows the football league better than anyone on here 

Doesn't take a genius to know we'd accept a £5M offer.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Doesn't take a genius to know we'd accept a £5M offer.

Aye though I think the point is it's more about who'd possibly be a decent replacement

Because we'd need one to come in firing and ready to go and not some loan signing looking for a game

26 minutes ago, L/H White said:

don't know much about said player, but Gabe knows the football league better than anyone on here 

Said MK Dons would walk lge2......Not even close he said

Though i would take that deal all day long

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Zico said:

Aye though I think the point is it's more about who'd possibly be a decent replacement

Because we'd need one to come in firing and ready to go and not some loan signing looking for a game

He knows as much as you or I.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

He knows as much as you or I.

He knows more than me as I'd never heard of Macaulay Longstaff till I read that tweet 

Who do you reckon would be a decent replacement if we cashed in?

• Members
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Just had a look, as I'd not heard of him. Another Luton player out on loan!

Interesting that he is from Peterborough- wonder if they'd be sniffing given that JCH may be off.

He was actually signed to them before he moved to Luton Town

I think Posh are quite well set regarding forwards, and I'm not sure he'd get as many minutes there as he would here

17 minutes ago, Zico said:

He did it before with Radcliffe, doesn't read before he spouts his bollocks :D

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Zico said:

He knows more than me as I'd never heard of Macaulay Longstaff till I read that tweet 

Who do you reckon would be a decent replacement if we cashed in?

I have no idea, and neither does he. I could pick a random player and it would be equally plausible.

Edited by Cheese

Screenshot-2024-01-02-at-22-04-41.png

Langstaff is in the limelight because of this and I suspect Gabe has probably pulled that name out of his arse as an example of what we could do with a few bob.

Playing devil's advocate though, can't ignore a goal record like that, even in the lower divisions. However, look at goal records all you want - it guarantees nish. Whereas we know what we have with Charles.

What you won't see on YouTube compilations and tweets is the off the ball work or how adaptable a new player would be joining a team mid-way through a season, whether that's Joe Taylor, Macauley Langstaff or another. One great thing about Dion is he's rarely ever injured and he plays more minutes than most of our squad. Considering how much running and battling he does, that is something that really makes him difficult to replace.

£5m is obscene for Charles but that's about the figure I'd want for him in the middle of the season during a promotion push. £2-3m is probably fair value but other factors go into transfers obviously. I work with someone who knows Dion personally so I'll ask them if they've heard owt tomorrow 😂.

They did tell me that Charles and Evatt are like best mates though.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I have no idea, and neither does he. I could pick a random player and it would be equally plausible.

So you understand it was just an opinion then on who might be a realistic target might be, if we were to end up selling?

• Members
10 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Screenshot-2024-01-02-at-22-04-41.png

Langstaff is in the limelight because of this and I suspect Gabe has probably pulled that name out of his arse as an example of what we could do with a few bob.

Playing devil's advocate though, can't ignore a goal record like that, even in the lower divisions. However, look at goal records all you want - it guarantees nish. Whereas we know what we have with Charles.

What you won't see on YouTube compilations and tweets is the off the ball work or how adaptable a new player would be joining a team mid-way through a season, whether that's Joe Taylor, Macauley Langstaff or another. One great thing about Dion is he's rarely ever injured and he plays more minutes than most of our squad. Considering how much running and battling he does, that is something that really makes him difficult to replace.

£5m is obscene for Charles but that's about the figure I'd want for him in the middle of the season during a promotion push. £2-3m is probably fair value but other factors go into transfers obviously. I work with someone who knows Dion personally so I'll ask them if they've heard owt tomorrow 😂.

They did tell me that Charles and Evatt are like best mates though.

42 league goals without any being penalties is some going