Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Members
30 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Unlikely I'll be listening to the beaded lunatic fringe of W'Ways politics.

David Cameron/George Osborne? You are kidding aren't you? As wet as Rishi.

Not a patch on Theresa May or Boris Johnson (the next Thatcher and Churchill respectively) 

4 hours ago, MickyD said:

Would it be rude of me to ask, if your household income affords you a £2.3k/month rent payment, why isn’t it paying for a home you’ll eventually own rather than paying for someone else to own it?

Even if owning a home would put you slightly further away from London.

Same problem as everyone else in similar situations - we spend so much on rent we can't save for a deposit - vicious circle. The problem is I'm slightly older than the milleninals in that situation because I had to start again after the divorce and moving every 5 years becomes exhausting and expensive.

Anyway, gone back saying we're happy to stay whilst the works go ahead or we'll need a min of 6 months as we'll probably look to move further into kent and get more for our money now we don't have to be in London everyday of the week.

I mean given how much money we've given them over the past 6 years I don't think that's too much to ask.

• Members

Although I don't get to read his ramblings, I do notice how quickly the beardy weirdy responds to some of my posts.

An olive branch of sorts. As a true believer in conservative values and the virtues of free enterprise, it may surprise him to know that I find myself torn with the concept of the renationalisation of the rail system by 'his party'. Sure it would result in another loss making giant but I do believe that the service would be better overall than could be provided by a plethora of private companies pursuing their own profit making agendas.

When you consider the ludicrously wasteful monolith of the outdated and hopefully one day defunct NHS, any rail system loss would likely be a drop in the ocean.

Further, the more I see and hear of Andy Burnham, the more impressed with him I am. If he didn't have the red label I could see myself voting for him (Independent etc.).

Time for a tot of whisky or summat. I must be weakening and need to buck my ideas up.

• Moderators

some rail expert on R5 yesterday reckoned the only change we can really expect in the short-medium term regards the rail is for their to be one price for tickets, as you can only buy them from one place

don't expect prices to come down or for services to run more effciently or anything else like that - all the infastructure is already nationalised

• Site Supporter
20 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Our privatised rail fares subsidise European nationally owned rail fares. 

Great system eh?

Brexit should bring an end to that

21 hours ago, kent_white said:

I wonder if he'd be interested in the job if and when Labour get in. A 'trains tzar' type affair 

As the transport TU they already have discussions with the Labour Party on transport policies. They always want to go further but are happy with certain changes currently proposed. Automatically they'll have more open discussions with the government if labour get in but a more formal role wouldn't be advisable whilst he's still head of the RMT - a certain distance has to maintained as he's there for the members and if the government decide against a certain course of action put forward by the RMT and he as a more individual formal role it'd be an untenable position.

Plus the LP wouldn't want to to publicly bring in an advisor that has closer links to the more Corbyn wing of the party.

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

As the transport TU they already have discussions with the Labour Party on transport policies. They always want to go further but are happy with certain changes currently proposed. Automatically they'll have more open discussions with the government if labour get in but a more formal role wouldn't be advisable whilst he's still head of the RMT - a certain distance has to maintained as he's there for the members and if the government decide against a certain course of action put forward by the RMT and he as a more individual formal role it'd be an untenable position.

Plus the LP wouldn't want to to publicly bring in an advisor that has closer links to the more Corbyn wing of the party.

Yeah obviously he would need to resign his position from the RMT. 

I think it would be a relatively popular appointment. 

5 hours ago, kent_white said:

Not in Terrace Talk it wouldn't.

20 hours ago, kent_white said:

He'd have much less power doing that. Labour wouldn't do it, go down really badly in the shires- all the Labour just under the boot heel of TU marxists etc

It's better for all parties to keep the status quo on this.

6 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

He'd have much less power doing that. Labour wouldn't do it, go down really badly in the shires- all the Labour just under the boot heel of TU marxists etc

It's better for all parties to keep the status quo on this.

I don't think anyone would give a shit if he got the trains running properly and people weren't paying through the nose for it. And he seems like one of those blokes who is universally well liked barring the usual types who wouldn't like anybody appointed by Labour. And if the plan is to re- nationalise then it makes sense to have some sort of figurehead to lead it that people can get behind. Too few leaders knocking about in this day and age. 

And it might also be an easy olive branch to some people on the left of the party who feel disenfranchised. 

I'm a visionary 😉

4 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I imagine there's probably quite a difference between leading a trade union and running a national railway and I'm not sure he'd want the gig either

I imagine there is - but good managers are good managers, providing they have the right people around. And sometimes a figurehead is more important than a technocrat. 

Edited by kent_white

On 26/04/2024 at 13:22, bolty58 said:

Further, the more I see and hear of Andy Burnham, the more impressed with him I am. If he didn't have the red label I could see myself voting for him (Independent etc.).

Time for a tot of whisky or summat. I must be weakening and need to buck my ideas up.

He's a cnut, fact