Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

What Is The Point?

globaldiver

Zico you'll soon realise the real purpose is that days out with kids, no matter how cheap they seem on Google, cost circa £50 minimum.

Gonzo work 5 days and get the wife to work all weekend. You then get the double bonus of not getting her moaning at you and you can watch soccer Saturday and super Sunday. Not sure who will have the kids mind.

We have come to the conclusion when treating the kids - twice the price half the fun.

I agree however...

Legoland Windsor - 1 night in the hotel and 2 days in the park - £750

Blackpool Tower, Dino golf and the odd bit down the prom - £50

Rather do legoland once a year than 15x Blackpool

Edited by stevieb

• Members

Is there a purpose?

Are we just food for worms?

We live/we die

For me, I want to make a difference, but, for me personally, it is about freedom; just doing and being what I want, if I want.

To be enjoyed, that's the purpose. If you aren't enjoying it have the bollocks to change it because you only get one.

I have a number of further things I want to do when the next phase of mine begins (i.e.post work).

Grown to love the sound of birdsong, the feeling of a gentle breeze in my face and perfect peace and quiet. Equally, I love a few pints, going to the match and jumping around like a bellend when "we" score. Loads of points between to enjoy and, of course, downsides to overcome. The latter just make the former all the more special.

I'm 40 now so no doubt I've a midlife crisis beckoning soon. Glad I did a bit of travelling when I was younger or I think that would have always been a bit of a nagging feeling in the back of my mind. Having my first child at 38 means I haven't really got a lot of time to think about anything else.

Without wanting to sound all Miss World - I've realised that what genuinely makes me happy is helping people - especially if they're people with little hope.

Despite being ill as fuck I went to watch D.R.I. in town on Sunday - it were great, hearing 'tunes' from my youth being belted out within spitting distance of Bradshawgate Taxis and Bolton Supper Bar :)

Anyhow I spent a good proportion of the gig acting as some ad-hoc pit bouncer - buffering the more exuberant 'dancers' from landing on some girls and more senior fans, holding up four or five fifteen stone buffoons who were toppling over wasn't too good for the lower back and I woke up Monday in agony, barely able to stand - a trip to the docs got me 100 Co-Codamol and a six to ten week recovery. :( Especially gutting as I've fooled another bonny girl into courting recently.

Anyhow I woke this morning in almost no pain, I even did a quick ten pressups.

As a result I've been joyously hopping about doing 'getting ready' tasks and singing a few ditties to mesen; 'Five get over excited', 'Happy Hour' and 'Kings of the Wild Frontier'...

Life's good again.

Life's too short.

And, as Bill Hicks said, it's just a ride.

Enough talking, here's a bit of D.R.I.

That's not footage from Bolton btw - only a fool would've got their phone out to film in the melee...

I had real trouble finding appropriate clothing for the gig as, contrary to popular belief, I'm not a (total) scruffbag - I opted for knackered deck shorts, knackered Nizza Hi, knackered hoody and knackered Army NBC smock :)

Lest anyone think I'm still a metalhead, punk or crusty type ;)

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

Grown to love the sound of birdsong, the feeling of a gentle breeze in my face and perfect peace and quiet. Equally, I love a few pints, going to the match and jumping around like a bellend when "we" score. Loads of points between to enjoy and, of course, downsides to overcome. The latter just make the former all the more special.

Bang fucking on.

Went up to loch muick last week, up in the Highlands. A gentle walk from the car park to the water. As you'd expect, quite a stark landscape, and as we walked a rain shower formed at the far end of the corrie and headed towards us. A quick blast and then turned around to see the rainbow drifting away at the back end of it. Sunny as owt after. Nature pure and simple.

Great stuff.

Over the last few years i've unknowingly learnt to find pleasure and happiness in the smaller things in life.

A good meal, a nice afternoon out, spending time with family and friends...

For all of my twenties and a large chunk of my thirties i was always striving for more, something bigger and better.... Though its fucking exhausting living like that.

Maybe its finally growing up and being comfortable in your own skin but i'm certainly happier not putting myself under the same kind of pressure day in day out.

Work/life balance, the earlier you realise that getting this balance right, the better.

Some never do, and regret it.

Money is a bit pointless and empty, if it means you are not at home to enjoy your family.

Edited by Pablo