Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Big games that you thought we'd win, but we didn't

Didledee

Bolton vs Tranmere semi finals - can't remember much other than watching one of this in a packed Premier fives bar and the buzz Tranmere had with their long throw merchant

Bolton vs Boro League Cup final - terrible ref, if we var back then!

Bolton vs Stoke F.A Cup semi finals - Who knows what we'd have done with Holden and if Sturridge could play

Did anyone fancy us vs Liverpool in't final?

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Play off v Tranmere

I thought we were nailed on for that, I was gutted when we lost......Chris Malkin was it? - the cunt. And I recall Comstive missing a decent chance for us as well

Black Sunday.. I was young and I'd convinced myself.. gutted.

Aston villa fa cup semi final. My grandad had been to the first final at Wembley, was convinced I was going to the last

Boro cup final, bastards I still can't believe it. I spend a lot of time up there and they mention it all the time, I've heard it in a few wedding speaches.. 

Sporting Lisbon.. even after the team was announced I thought we'd pull it off somehow.

Stoke in the semi, great weekend ruined.

10 hours ago, MickyD said:

Oldham in Cup, they were in Prem but crap and we'd already beaten Everton, Arsenal and Villa. I think it was the first time we weren't the underdogs.

Aye Bloody Hell, I lived in Southampton back then and so had to train it all the way back after getting drenched in the walk back to the station, with a stupid defeat for comfort

Boro league cup final.

Probably the most gutted I’ve ever been watching them lift the cup.

If ever we were gonna win a trophy in the modern era. It was then.

Sam got it wrong that day :(

....and so did the ref. 

We didn't turn up early enough to make a difference in that Boro final, we didn't turn up at all v Stoke.

Those two, plus the defeats at the old Wembley to Bristol City & Tranmere are the ones that irk me most.