Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Furlough Roll Call

DazBob

I noticed three posts from Victor last night, probably whilst half-drunk on his own product, in three different threads, taking sly potshots at craft ale...

One can only deduce that the Goliath likes of AB Inbev and Diageo are utterly shitting their britches at the new competion from the David beardy hipster types and their microbrewery output.

They must be or they wouldn't be trying to jump on the bandwagon (AB InBev acquiring Leffe or Diageo creating Hophouse 13, for example)...

I'm not a craft-ale twat either (just a twat) I can take it or leave it and think there's loads of grapefruit piss out there - I just want to remind everyone of Victor's vested interest. 😉

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Was discussing the other day with my brother that in other countries they seem to get multiple options of a beer where he we only get one version. 

For example Superbock had a fair few variations when I went last year.

Or in Germany they have multiple types of becks etc.

Does anyone know why we don’t get the variety or is it simply due to beer abroad being more regionalised?

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, tomski said:

Was discussing the other day with my brother that in other countries they seem to get multiple options of a beer where he we only get one version. 

Does anyone know why we don’t get the variety or is it simply due to beer abroad being more regionalised?

Wouldn't that be like different beers from a particular brewery just called different names over here?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, tomski said:

Carling

Carling Extra Cold

Carling Premier

• Moderators

Seriously though just had a look at Carling variety

Forgot it was ever called Carling Black Label

• Carling Black Label is a beer sold in Canada and South Africa; it is the best-selling beer in South Africa.[citation needed] It has an alcohol content of 5% in Canada and 5.5% in South Africa.
  • Carling, formerly known as Carling Black Label, is a mass market lager in the United Kingdom with an alcohol content of 4.0%. Molson Coors marketing makes no reference to its Canadian origins, describing it as "British". During trials v UK HMRC in 2017 Molson Coors revealed they reduced the ABV to 3.7% in 2012 but left the advertised ABV as 4%.
  • Carling Black Label Ice, or "Black Ice", is a strong, low-priced ice beer sold in Canada with an alcohol content of 6.1%; sold as Molson Ice in the United States using a variation of the Black Label Ice label and logo.
  • Carling Lager is a no-preservatives lager sold in Canada, distinct from Carling (Black Label).
  • Carling Ice is an ice-brewed product from the Carling line.
  • Carling Light is a lighter variation of Carling Lager.
  • Carling Premier is a cream-flow lager with an alcohol content of 4.7%, introduced to celebrate Carling's sponsorship of the FA Premier League in 1992. In cans it is sold with a nitrogen widget, similar to those used in some canned ales. Unlike most lagers, Premier needs time to settle.
  • Carling Extra Cold is a version sold in British pubs chilled to 2 °C, launched in 2002.
  • C2 is the low-alcohol version of Carling, with 2% alcohol by volume.
  • Carling Black Label Supreme is an inexpensive 8% alcohol brew.
  • Carling Black Label Big 10 has 10% alcohol content.
  • Carling Chrome is a bottled lager, brewed for a less bitter taste at 4.8% abv.
  • Carling Cider
  • Carling Zest is a 2.8% lager that has different flavors, including ginger and citrus.

• Site Supporter
On 02/05/2020 at 09:21, Youri McAnespie said:

I noticed three posts from Victor last night, probably whilst half-drunk on his own product, in three different threads, taking sly potshots at craft ale...

One can only deduce that the Goliath likes of AB Inbev and Diageo are utterly shitting their britches at the new competion from the David beardy hipster types and their microbrewery output.

They must be or they wouldn't be trying to jump on the bandwagon (AB InBev acquiring Leffe or Diageo creating Hophouse 13, for example)...

I'm not a craft-ale twat either (just a twat) I can take it or leave it and think there's loads of grapefruit piss out there - I just want to remind everyone of Victor's vested interest. 😉

you right about one thing ,,

you are indeed a twat..

and my vested interest .............my job ?

i only comment about arty farty drinks for a laugh..seems to wind you up though

• Moderators

Just had this email off Ed Davey:

the furlough scheme is protecting millions of workers from redundancy. Everyone knows someone it’s helping.

But this protection is under threat. The Chancellor said this morning he wants to “wind down the scheme” while another senior Conservative has insultingly suggested that people are “too willing to stay at home”.

On 02/05/2020 at 15:20, tomski said:

mainly because people pretend that real ale isn't shite 

Longer this furlough stuff goes on the more likely at our place decisions are going to be made with a business head and not an emotional one like usual and I can see with a couple of small changes we might end up making a good third of the staff redundant.

12 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Longer this furlough stuff goes on the more likely at our place decisions are going to be made with a business head and not an emotional one like usual and I can see with a couple of small changes we might end up making a good third of the staff redundant.

There’s a meeting at our place on Monday 

I fear the worst tbh 

34 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

I was talking about this earlier, and suggested that being furloughed, in some cases, is like having a trial run at making redundancies as far as some employees will be concerned. They get to see if they can still run their business effectively without certain members of staff, whilst the government picks up the tab

Wish I'd not read them last few posts now, I'm in exactly that position. Place wasn't doing the best last few month anyway, in some ways this came at a "good time" for them. Longer this goes on, the more paranoid I'm getting about not returning.

Hope I'm wrong and all goes well for you fellas as well.