Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Corona Football Season

HomerJay

Corona Football Season  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

They cant start the embargo again because the club financially has had one year already; agree they could start again with the -12 points but I would sooner take the chance of staying up rather dropping to League 2 and having to get promoted.

With a good manager (not I know my onions) and players in place before the pre-season I would fancy our chances for staying up. This season was a joke with only having kids for the first several games

Good post, mate. 👍

If someone with a magic wand gave me the choice of starting next year on -12 in L1 or having a season in L2 and getting promoted (in a revenge playoff final against Tranmere) I'd definitely go the latter. But, of course, there ain't any magic wands and promotion would not be guaranteed...

• Members
1 minute ago, SatanGreavsie said:

If someone with a magic wand gave me the choice of starting next year on -12 in L1 or having a season in L2 and getting promoted (in a revenge playoff final against Tranmere) I'd definitely go the latter. But, of course, there ain't any magic wands and promotion would not be guaranteed...

It’s not guaranteed? Keef out!

10 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

They cant start the embargo again because the club financially has had one year already; agree they could start again with the -12 points but I would sooner take the chance of staying up rather dropping to League 2 and having to get promoted.

With a good manager (not I know my onions) and players in place before the pre-season I would fancy our chances for staying up. This season was a joke with only having kids for the first several games

I wouldn’t be too sure about the embargo. It’s the same punishment as the points. So if the points can be applied it’s folly to assume the embargo wouldn’t restart. 

You may well be right but unless you have confirmation of that I wouldn’t count on it 

56 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Null and void.

Lincoln away first game next season. 

Itd be behind closed doors though.

You want Lincoln away on matchday 33 or something like that, we might be allowed in then!

*FWIW I want a crack at L2 but mainly based on doing more of the 92, but if we cant actually go until 2021 its pointless and therefore keep us in L1 but on 0 points, please.

Edited by Marc505

50 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

The only fair way to decide the league table - average home support and average away support.

I'd be quite happy not taking our place in the play offs though, safety first for fans and players

Or straighteners in front of the club shop (or to be fair, a neutral club shop). That would get the tv audience in. Not sure if it would be on a fan v fan basis, or maybe a tag team job - a fan, player, board member, manager (or assistant/head coach/director of football) and backroom staff on each team. If Kent Walton of the old World of Sport wrestling is still alive he could do the commentary:

"So there we have it grapple fans,  Sharon Brittan of Bolton triumphantly holding aloft the severed testicles of Rotherham United's manager Paul Warne. If I were Coventry's Mark Robins I'd be seriously worried about my family allowance for their upcoming quarter final clash. Have a good week 'til next week!".

• Site Supporter
Just now, Marc505 said:

Itd be behind closed doors though.

You want Lincoln Lincoln away on matchday 33 or something like that, we might be allowed in then!

Aye, first proper away day.

I don’t think Leagues 1& 2 will play any games behind closed doors - what’s the point?

Their main income is from match days, whether it’s season tickets or POD.

1 minute ago, Steejay said:

I don’t think Leagues 1& 2 will play any games behind closed doors - what’s the point?

I dont know how they'd get by playing behind closed doors but I also cant see how it'd be feasible not to if PL and Championship gets 4, 5, 6 months down the road playing matches before L1 and 2 started again. Certainly have to do away with all cups if it went that way.

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

I wouldn’t be too sure about the embargo. It’s the same punishment as the points. So if the points can be applied it’s folly to assume the embargo wouldn’t restart. 

You may well be right but unless you have confirmation of that I wouldn’t count on it 

To be fair, the embargo is in place for two years rather than two seasons. If the season were null and voided, and I'm also pretty sure it won't be, then I imagine we'd still start with the points deduction but we'd be half way through the embargo.

10 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Just looked 6 teams averaged under 3k last season in league 2 with a further 14 under 5k

so reliant on gate money 

Spectator sport will be back October latest as long as they don't substantially release the lockdown measures too quickly. The rate of infection is already low outside hospitals and care homes so another two months and we will be down to almost zero deaths per day. With the measures they are putting in they should be able to control it.

So start the season end of September and hopefully we will still be in League 1

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Spectator sport will be back October latest as long as they don't substantially release the lockdown measures too quickly. The rate of infection is already low outside hospitals and care homes so another two months and we will be down to almost zero deaths per day. With the measures they are putting in they should be able to control it.

I’ll be gobsmacked if we don’t start in L2 next season

2 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

I'd be very surprised if we're not in league 2 next year, I'd also be equally surprised if we're allowed in a football ground this side of Christmas

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, tomski said:

Peterborough owner is losing his shit on twitter. Reckons he is mounting a huge legal challenge. Good luck with that

Yep, but that guy has always been up his own  arse.

Loves his own publicity.

Shazza and Mick will put him right.

37 minutes ago, tomski said:

Peterborough owner is losing his shit on twitter. Reckons he is mounting a huge legal challenge. Good luck with that

Good. I'm very much against league placing being decided by PPG, but if there's a silver lining, it's that it means he misses out.

From a Wanderers point of view I'd rather take the PPG route and go down, rather than re-do this season back on -12. 

By far the fairest thing to do however, would be null and void. Nobody can argue that they've been arbitrarily moved up or down, because nobody won or lost anything.

And while we're at it, the Premier League clubs (particularly the six being granted a stay of execution) can help keep the bottom two tiers afloat until the crowds come back.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Sweep said:

I'd be very surprised if we're not in league 2 next year, I'd also be equally surprised if we're allowed in a football ground this side of Christmas

This. 

its gonna be fun when other teams go in adminstration

"but muh coronavirus , no money"

"tough shit minus 12 points"

we might get promoted just by having a non negative points total.