Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Plymouth (H)

Steejay

4 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Me either. He's a good league 1 defender. And so physically imposing. But I think he'll get ripped a new arsehole in the Championship. And his heading in both boxes is shite for a big lad. 

Yep I know he’s a defender but his attacking qualities are zero, so many defenders these days are scoring goals in all leagues the lad at Burton banged 2 against us in one game!

without looking I bet aimson & jonstone have scored 5 between them 

Edited by radcliffe white

2 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Yep I know he’s a defender but his attacking qualities are zero, so many defenders these days are scoring goals in all leagues the lad at Burton banged 2 against us in one game! 

Will happily be proved wrong though! 

And I'm usually wrong about most things in football. It's quite an impressive record really! 😁

27 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

I certainly wouldn’t be tying santos down to a big contract 

I would, he’s the only defender in that team yesterday, 2 poor players alongside him, with 2 other decent players you’ll see an even better player, see his performances when Jones is in the back 3. 

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I would, he’s the only defender in that team yesterday, 2 poor players alongside him, with 2 other decent players you’ll see an even better player, see his performances when Jones is in the back 3. 

I agree with Jones much better

but next level up not for me 

• Members
26 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

without looking I bet aimson & jonstone have scored 5 between them 

6’4” defending

4’6” attacking 

Edited by Rudy

• Site Supporter

Here's the thing I've noticed about Santos and his heading skills. They go up further than they go across; always. 

He doesn't go up for corners to attack the ball and f hit it hard towards the goal,  he gets under the ball and the ball hits it. 

1 hour ago, tomski said:

The beer. It’s ace and I assume Stevie is suffering

Tried both the ale and the lager yesterday and really like them both, they've done well there.

Also helps explain why I feel absolutely dreadful this morning 😆

59 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Here's the thing I've noticed about Santos and his heading skills. They go up further than they go across; always. 

He doesn't go up for corners to attack the ball and f hit it hard towards the goal,  he gets under the ball and the ball hits it. 

For a big lad , he cannot head a ball.

Almost as bad as Zat Knight.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

My Dad said same yesterdau, always hitting top of his head.

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Yes, his technique is so poor, seems unable to direct it straight or downwards.  I would go so far as to say he should stay back at corners, because he does get his head to quite a few of them, and the effect is to do the defenders' job for them, by normally giving them a goal kick.  If you're a defender and you can't win it yourself the next best thing is Santos heads it, job done.  

Edited by Johnnyrotten
error

• Members
28 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes, his technique is so poor, seems unable to direct it straight or downwards.  I would go so far as to say he should stay back at corners, because he does get his head to quite a few of them, and the effect is to do the defenders' job for them, by normally giving them a goal kick.  If you're a defender and you can't win it yourself the next best thing is Santos heads it, job done.  

Fuck him staying back. The fastest players stay back. If he can’t win the headers make the space, go for the flick ons, win the second ball, go and stand on the keeper

On 08.12.21 Dimron said on Brand Evatt:

Santos has only been coached in clearing headers where you get your head under the ball. Scoring from corners using your head is different. I now dread corners because we bring our defenders up and the opposition can break on us too easily.

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

Fuck him staying back. The fastest players stay back. If he can’t win the headers make the space, go for the flick ons, win the second ball, go and stand on the keeper

The best scoring defender I have seen was Tony Adams. There was an FA Cup tie at Burnden where he seemed to roll the ball down the back of his head and into the goal, I was working with a Yid and a Gooner at the time and we were talking about it for days.

George Graham had them practicing corners whereas we don't and that in my mind has been our undoing this season. it would have helped with our goal difference and points tally.

1 hour ago, Dimron said:

The best scoring defender I have seen was Tony Adams. There was an FA Cup tie at Burnden where he seemed to roll the ball down the back of his head and into the goal, I was working with a Yid and a Gooner at the time and we were talking about it for days.

George Graham had them practicing corners whereas we don't and that in my mind has been our undoing this season. it would have helped with our goal difference and points tally.

In our time, while we have been shit, Wheater and Beevers, scored at least 15 between them.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, woolli said:

In our time, while we have been shit, Wheater and Beevers, scored at least 15 between them.

Most of our centre backs all the way back to the Jones/Allardyce era chipped in to the ‘goals for’ column.