Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

https://x.com/hubfootballuk/status/1690737202978832384

Thanks @Zico and @Cheese

tried that but still doesn’t work for me. Not sure if I’m being thick.

I tried amending the hyperlink too. And waited for like 5-10 seconds after pasting to give it time to work.

Tried with different links

https://x.com/burndenaces/status/1691026887261229056

tried pasting into my notes app, deleting the url parameters and then pasting to here - which did give me the “pasted as rich text - paste as plain text instead?” Which is what usually shows up when I post Twitter links. I know to not change it to plain text though.

not sure if I’m encountering problems doing it from my phone as opposed to a laptop or if I’m just doing something silly

im Sure I’ll figure it out eventually 😆

Edited by Mantra

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Thanks @Zico and @Cheese

I tried amending the hyperlink too. And waited for like 5-10 seconds after pasting to give it time to work.

tried pasting into my notes app, deleting the url parameters and then pasting to here - which did give me the “pasted as rich text - paste as plain text instead?” Which is what usually shows up when I post Twitter links. I know to not change it to plain text though.

not sure if I’m encountering problems doing it from my phone as opposed to a laptop or if I’m just doing something silly

yeah the text editor can sometimes be a faff and change links and edit stuff differently

it seems to have a mind of its own sometimes but it's probably more likely us being a spaz

anyway

just paste it in and hope for the best

in any case, it's nothing to do with Elon Musk

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mantra said:

Thanks @Zico and @Cheese

I'm on a PC, and when I click your links they default to twitter.com rather than x, and they embed as expected. The plot thickens.

Evatt admits in the BN he was concerned about the players mind set before the game on Saturday, and also admits he couldnt " gee " the players up for a local derby. This is concerning, especially if the  players are not listening to the manager, isnt it?

24 minutes ago, woolli said:

Evatt admits in the BN he was concerned about the players mind set before the game on Saturday, and also admits he couldnt " gee " the players up for a local derby. This is concerning, especially if the  players are not listening to the manager, isnt it?

Just tell them that if they start like they did on Saturday they’re getting hooked, whoever they are and mean it. I remember Sam hooking Jay Jay after about 20 minutes once because he was showboating after being warned not to. You don’t always have to wait for 60 minutes to make a point.

1 hour ago, tomski said:

9CF1E3DA-B14F-4B25-8FCE-B475B37FAA46.jpeg

It’s a fair point - ideally you find someone as good on the ball as Sheehan is, but 6ft+, athletic and a bit of a bastard. You won’t be finding many of those in league 1.

I do think there’s a happy medium though and I think the issue is that our midfielders are too similar, so we can’t switch it up when needed. If you find the big bastard that can play a bit then he doesn’t have to play every game, just like Sheehan and Morley aren’t suited to every game but at least it gives you the option for a plan B. You could say Thomason is that player but seeing as he wasn’t even the first midfielder off the bench on Saturday I’d suggest Evatt doesn’t currently see him as such. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s a fair point - ideally you find someone as good on the ball as Sheehan is, but 6ft+, athletic and a bit of a bastard. You won’t be finding many of those in league 1.

I do think there’s a happy medium though and I think the issue is that our midfielders are too similar, so we can’t switch it up when needed. If you find the big bastard that can play a bit then he doesn’t have to play every game, just like Sheehan and Morley aren’t suited to every game but at least it gives you the option for a plan B. You could say Thomason is that player but seeing as he wasn’t even the first midfielder off the bench on Saturday I’d suggest Evatt doesn’t currently see him as such. 

At 3 down by half time, I think Evatt would see little point in putting the physicality of Thomason on the pitch. Game effectively gone.

Hence two attacking players.

There would also be a case for not making any subs, and leaving the 11 out there to at least try to make amends themselves.

1 hour ago, tomski said:

9CF1E3DA-B14F-4B25-8FCE-B475B37FAA46.jpeg

That is a really strange thing to say. We are 2 levels below Premier League, every player we have in every position is not good enough to play in Premier League. So why is it different for this type of player ? No is expecting us to sign Rodri from City.

On 20/08/2023 at 11:32, L/H White said:

19 points from a possible 69 against the top 6 since we've been in league 1, yesterday included.

Statto has highlighted the issue is not a one off. If you then think if we were to get promoted how will we fare against teams at next level ? 

It is good to see that Evatt sees the issue and hopefully will address it. 

I have to disagree with Evatt on this, Shankley always said the first things he looked for in a player were ability and courage and wasn’t it Shanks who once told one of his less skilful players to just win the ball and give it to someone who can play? Surely there’s every bit as much skill in legally winning the ball as there is in using it?

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, tomski said:

It’s a ridiculous statement.

I appreciate he’s little to say after Sat but that certainly wasn’t the response needed.

Could read ‘if anything we lost to Wigan as we were too good for them’ 😂

I’m on a bit of a one man crusade this morning - but I’m sticking to it 😊 

I agree with him. And I think he’s spot on with what he’s saying.

“We have a philosophy we want to stick to, so we need to try and improve our mental capabilities ourselves. That is going to happen from experiences like that, we just need to respond in the right way.

“I learned a great deal about some of our players and we just need to make sure that one bad result doesn’t define our season. We are still in a strong place, a good place, and we can be a good team when we put it together, we have shown that. Nine points from four games is still title-winning form.

“We have to hurt, we will hurt, but we have to use it to drive standards.”

• Site Supporter

It's not one or the other though, is it. 

Having some bite, and aggression throughout doesn't mean you can't play his football.

Indeed, against a stronger team, it may allow you to do so more effectively. 

OK, it's possibly a bit late for this window now, but it doesn't mean the scouting and coaching can't look to add that. I think Evatt does recognise this, but sometimes says things which can come back against him.

We are quite a workmanlike team out of possession in the pressing that some players do, so we're part way there. Just need to be able to stand up to the more physical opponents.

15 minutes ago, desperado said:

I’m on a bit of a one man crusade this morning - but I’m sticking to it 😊 

I agree with him. And I think he’s spot on with what he’s saying.

“We have a philosophy we want to stick to, so we need to try and improve our mental capabilities ourselves. That is going to happen from experiences like that, we just need to respond in the right way.

“I learned a great deal about some of our players and we just need to make sure that one bad result doesn’t define our season. We are still in a strong place, a good place, and we can be a good team when we put it together, we have shown that. Nine points from four games is still title-winning form.

“We have to hurt, we will hurt, but we have to use it to drive standards.”

Are you related to Evatt mate, never one bad word against him!😉

• Site Supporter
Just now, woolli said:

Are you related to Evatt mate, never one bad word against him!😉

That would be telling …. 🤣

He’s certainly better placed, more qualified, more experienced and done enough over these last 4 seasons to know more than us fans about what’s required to make BWFC the best we can be.

And before people jump on, “are we not allowed opinions, he doesn’t get everything right blah blah blah” I know!

I just think plenty jump on, pick out quotes, over criticise and over use their fan knowledge/opinion, to call him out when things go wrong. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, desperado said:

That would be telling …. 🤣

He’s certainly better placed, more qualified, more experienced and done enough over these last 4 seasons to know more than us fans about what’s required to make BWFC the best we can be.

And before people jump on, “are we not allowed opinions, he doesn’t get everything right blah blah blah” I know!

I just think plenty jump on, pick out quotes, over criticise and over use their fan knowledge/opinion, to call him out when things go wrong. 

Over emotional of course, often driven by the by-products of yeasts' existence.

That doesn't necessarily mean that some of the brickbats aren't justified.

Comprehensive tactical analysis of BWFC 2023 came out today in Total Football Analysis - fascinating but a lengthy read and I had to look up the "La pausa technique" which turned out to be what you'd expect i.e. "the pause" (when Santos stands on the ball waiting for the opposition to make a move)

Proper anorak read but plenty in it for footie detail nerds like me.

IE sounds a tad frustrated at some of the criticism.

“I believe the squad and the team needs supporting.

“Some of the remarks (at Burton) have been absolutely outrageous. Some of the stuff the players are having to put with and some of the stuff I am having to put up with on the sidelines is not acceptable, in my opinion".

• Site Supporter

Another example of social media toxicity, and social degradation.

Players need to get out of it. 

As for dicks abusing players- there will always have been a measure of stick given out, and to an extent players have to ignore it.

However, the level of abuse now is truly ridiculous. Dunno what the answer is.