Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

8 hours ago, Mantra said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he walked before he was pushed should we fail to go up.

Son in law said last night, do you think they will sack him if they don't go up?

My answer was , well not Sack sack, but he will be encouraged to maybe move on.

2 hours ago, tomski said:

My frustration is here. 

I think he’s built a good team that play good football. When a team wants to let us play, we can smash anyone. Some brilliant performances this season that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching. Some amazing goals thrown in as well.

That said, there is no plan b. I think we struggle against the teams who don’t want us to play (completely their prerogative) and I feel we never win any game outside of having better players than the opposition. What I mean by that is we never seem to win a game by tactical nouse or a smart change of plan/system or out foxing another team. I can’t think of one this season. I don’t see this being learned upon either. 

My worry is if and when we get up that we will not have better players then loses will prevail more than wins. 

That middle paragraph is exactly what I’ve been thinking for a few months now.

8 hours ago, Mantra said:

Happy with the job Evatt has done and wouldn’t mind him for another year if we fail to go up. Stability is an underrated commodity in football. He’s a good manager, not yet shown himself to be excellent though. But do you want to risk starting from scratch with a new man? 

I feel he Evatt needs this promotion for the fan base’s support in general. He’s had 3 seasons to build a team capable of League 1 promotion and too often we’ve been lacking in important games and moments. Some bad luck yes - but when it’s happening consistently it is difficult to keep taking it. The Wigan defeats, the Blackpool loss, the Derby loss. 

Dont think last season was our “time” to go up. Seemed written in the stars for Sheffield Weds, but this year we’ve had an easier league and Evatt has built this team with substantial funding and backing.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he walked before he was pushed should we fail to go up.

He isn’t walking anywhere. No manager ever does because it will mean they don’t get paid out, even more so when you’ve got shares in the club and I can only see that the clause attached to that will be “you can’t have these if/when you leave (obviously), if it’s our decision we pay you out, if it’s your decision you hand them back”. It can’t work any other way and therefore he is not walking anywhere.

One for the end of the season anyway. Long way to go yet and despite his shortcomings and my frustrations with him after last night’s game, if he still takes us up then he’s very much here next season and so he should be, if not then there’s a question. Until then, it’s all a bit premature.

2 hours ago, tomski said:

My frustration is here. 

I think he’s built a good team that play good football. When a team wants to let us play, we can smash anyone. Some brilliant performances this season that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching. Some amazing goals thrown in as well.

That said, there is no plan b. I think we struggle against the teams who don’t want us to play (completely their prerogative) and I feel we never win any game outside of having better players than the opposition. What I mean by that is we never seem to win a game by tactical nouse or a smart change of plan/system or out foxing another team. I can’t think of one this season. I don’t see this being learned upon either. 

My worry is if and when we get up that we will not have better players then loses will prevail more than wins. 

+1

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Horwich said:

We keep him until he stops improving us.

Do you think that we've improved in the last two years?

It was more than two years ago that we beat Sunderland 6-0 and I don't think that we're as good a team as we were at the back end of that season, never mind last season.

Defensively, we're worse than ever, shipping poor goals to average teams and rarely grinding out 1-0 wins as Derby and Pompey have done on a consistent basis.

Yes, we play some fantastic football at times but, imo. we've not improved, showing the same weaknesses again and again.

2 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Do you think that we've improved in the last two years?

It was more than two years ago that we beat Sunderland 6-0 and I don't think that we're as good a team as we were at the back end of that season, never mind last season.

Defensively, we're worse than ever, shipping poor goals to average teams and rarely grinding out 1-0 wins as Derby and Pompey have done on a consistent basis.

Yes, we play some fantastic football at times but, imo. we've not improved, showing the same weaknesses again and again.

Also add our disciplinary record is season is woeful 

Never mind the next 2 league games, they are irrelevant, ok (win at home lose at posh) but the play offs, where are the goals gonna come from?

Collins? Hopefully.

Dion Charles?  Doubt it.

Jarome? Leave it out.

So its up to the rest then, will a hero emerge???

6 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I’ve woken up even more pissed off than I was last night. 

Season pretty much over and it was in the palm of our hands last Saturday morning. 

I still felt pretty good after last Saturday, we'd played well and given the league champs a great game, but today feels a bit like after the Barnsley at home play off game, you just knew, knew how it was all a bit too much to ask.

Remember Orient at home when we were 3-0 up and looking world beaters. 

There was a break in play and Ritchie Wellens got into his players and changed the system.

We ended up clinging onto a 3-2.

Plenty other examples of opposition managers making changes mid-game to change the flow.

Can't remember one time Evatt's done that this season. 

And that's Ritchie fucking Wellens.

2 minutes ago, wakey said:

There was a break in play and Ritchie Wellens got into his players and changed the system.

Plenty other examples of opposition managers making changes mid-game to change the flow.

Barnsley A? But other than that I couldn't name one, and that is what he'll fall short on unless he can accept that sometimes we need to move away from his style of play.

2 minutes ago, wakey said:

Yep.

By 55 minutes on Saturday,  pompey manager had made 4 subs to counter us and it certainly slowed us down a bit.

Did think we'd see something similar last night from us after the first half but 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Traf said:

Plan B is Plan A after some like-for-like subs.

LWB gets subbed every game.

The subs are truly awful. Happy to continue as I can’t be arsed with change now but he is not on the level he or many other people believe he is.

hopefully a summer recharge will help him. 

25 minutes ago, Traf said:

Plan B is Plan A after some like-for-like subs.

LWB gets subbed every game.

But RWB must play full game regardless

My only surprise was Jerome not coming on for himself yesterday.

Edited by tomski

Of course the issue is us not taking at least even half of our chances in all the big games.

However, we are still scoring enough goals to at least win the game or get something more from it.

The issue is we are still leaking so many poor goals. We can outscore Derby and have much more firepower than them, however they win games to nil, something we have extreme difficulty in.

Even the games where we can't score, at least don't concede! Wigan away, Derby away, Portsmouth away, Leyton Orient away. If we didn't give away poor goals in all those games, and even drew them all 0-0, thats 4 points gathered. We'd be a point ahead of Derby.

Last year we had the joint best defence, this year we've been far from that. 

We can score goals for fun, but when we struggle to, we have to give ourselves a chance defensively. If you can't win, don't lose.

That's something that we've really not done in pretty much all the big away games, including our local rivals.

To be in the top 2, you've got to be ruthless in both boxes. We are too far from that unfortunately. 

Edited by Lostock Whites

I don’t think the club sack him. However, it wouldn’t surprise me if he decided to step away for a break if we don’t go up. 

The comments he’s made since the turn of the year we dont know yet whether he was sewing the seeds there or as he acknowledges himself, his emotions got the better of him and it just came out in a way that wasn’t intended. 

however, from the top down the expectation this season was to go up and if that isn’t achieved then he may feel he’s taken it as far as he can. 

I do applaud him for what he has delivered over the past few years and overall he has achieved what he said he would when he came in. Got us playing lovely football. But there’s more to Just that in the modern game and for a former (quite recent) quite rugged and tough centre half not to have that built in to his teams simply baffles me. 

He obviously knows the game and he talks about patterns and rotations and presses and all of that stuff but outside of that very rigid philosophy he has he has yet to demonstrate he has any other tactical nouse to change the flow of a game or nullify the threat of the opposition or make a change that makes us more dangerous. He talks about getting to the highest level possible but currently this, league 1, is him. 

now there’s an argument that his approach would be more successful with better players and clubs in the champ might think that’s the case too and take him but in my opinion, if we were to go up his lack of flexibility would only be exposed further and more brutally with the squad he’s assembled here. Yes it would be improved but his nice airy fairy, don’t get your hands dirty, fall foul of the dark arts of the game approach would only be inherited by the new players too. 

1 hour ago, mickbrown said:

Read somewhere we’ve not won 2 in a row since New Year’s Day. 

That’s fucking dogshit

Twice:

Cheltenham 1-0 and Carlisle 4-1 end of January

Reading 5-2 and Bristol Rovers 2-0 other week

Not won 3 in a row since Xmas/new year.