Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Run In

green genie

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Periods where we donā€™t play worry me. I donā€™t think long breaks do the players any good, especially when everyone else is playing and theyā€™re just watching results.I think players like to keep their momentum up and itā€™s difficult to get back into it once youā€™ve stopped and it also can affect actual match fitness. I certainly donā€™t like teams taking sunny breaks because they always seem to lose focus. Hopefully we wonā€™t and in April we can pick up where weā€™ve left off?

Well things must have improved in the last couple of years, for so long it was the periods when we were playing that worried me most!

1 hour ago, barrycowdrill said:

Think Barnsley are too inconsistent to challenge any higher than their current position to be honest. Ipswich current form is patchy at best. If they put a bit of a run together I think theyā€™ll overtake Plymouth (just) so thereā€™s 3 of us jockeying for position between 3rd and 5thĀ 

I donā€™t see Ipswich over taking Plymouthā€¦ theyā€™re on a slippy slope and Plymouth ticking over nicely.Ā 

I donā€™t see us catching Plymouth or Wednesday for automatic as they have both been very consistent and the points target is likely to be 92 minimum. We would probably have to win 11/12 games from 15 which will take some doing. If we win tomorrow and at Wycombe I may start to believe!

• Moderators
4 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

Think Barnsley are too inconsistent to challenge any higher than their current position to be honest. Ipswich current form is patchy at best. If they put a bit of a run together I think theyā€™ll overtake Plymouth (just) so thereā€™s 3 of us jockeying for position between 3rd and 5thĀ 

If you think Ipswich can grab an automatic spot, with 16 games left, given we're on the same point with 15 games left, one of which is at home against them, we certainly canĀ 

15 games is a lot, a third of the seasonĀ 

And if there's one thing we know about us under IE it's that we come on strong in the final thirdĀ 

I think we can finish top two

9 hours ago, Zico said:

If you think Ipswich can grab an automatic spot, with 16 games left, given we're on the same point with 15 games left, one of which is at home against them, we certainly canĀ 

15 games is a lot, a third of the seasonĀ 

And if there's one thing we know about us under IE it's that we come on strong in the final thirdĀ 

I think we can finish top two

This is exactly where I'm at now.

Big ask, but beat Wycombe, Wednesday & Ipswich and it's most definitely on.

10 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

If we did end up In the playoffs, if we ended up against Sheff Weds or Derby I wouldn't be too confident.

Against Barnsley, Ipswich or even Plymouth I'd fancy us.

Saying this, we should really have nothing to fear, we can beat anyone on our day and should believe in ourselves.

Rather avoid Plymouth as I think they are the ones weā€™ve proven we canā€™t lay a glove on.

Just now, tomski said:

Rather avoid Plymouth as I think they are the ones weā€™ve proven we canā€™t lay a glove on.

See I thought we were much the better side over the 2 games. Defensive fuck ups cost us after we missed some sitters at their place and they didnā€™t offer much at ours

like above, avoid Weds and Derby and Iā€™d be contentĀ 

4 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

See I thought we were much the better side over the 2 games. Defensive fuck ups cost us after we missed some sitters at their place and they didnā€™t offer much at ours

As did I but despite being better weā€™d be out of you replicated the league games. We havenā€™t scored a goal against them since the 90ā€™s appreciate itā€™s 5 games I think but that is sample enough to say avoid, again only in my opinion.

Plus I want 2nd nowšŸ˜Ž

Edited by tomski

Derby are the ones i'd like to avoid if we're in the play offs, i know we had an off day but we were well beaten there , they've got a manager who knows how to get promoted & their fans would be up for it..

Either Ipswich or Plymouth would be beatable, with them being on a bit of a downer having missed out on the automatic places . We showed we can match Plymouth in both league games & Ipswich are inconsistant.......plus it would be a chance to settle an old score, i'm still bitter about Knightgate !!!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, barrycowdrill said:

Ā 

56 minutes ago, tomski said:

As did I but despite being better weā€™d be out of you replicated the league games. We havenā€™t scored a goal against them since the 90ā€™s appreciate itā€™s 5 games I think but that is sample enough to say avoid, again only in my opinion.

Plus I want 2nd nowšŸ˜Ž

aye, last season and this, we just haven't been able to take it to them

would rather avoid Derby and Sheff Weds over two games as well

14 minutes ago, Zico said:

Ā 

aye, last season and this, we just haven't been able to take it to them

would rather avoid Derby and Sheff Weds over two games as well

Wednesday will be in the top two. We need either us our Derby to get the other place. We will then have a fighting chance if we are in the playoffsĀ 

There are 4 teams in the division chasing top 2.

Sheff Weds 0 points 1 game

Plymouth 1 point 2 games

Derby 1 point 2 games

Ipswich 1 point 1 gameĀ 

So 3points from 18 against the best teams in the league.

Ā 

As much as we are improving it is hard to see us catching 3 of the 4 to go straight or beating 2 of them in play offs.Ā 
Ā 

I think we finish 4th or 5th and end up with Ipswich in play offs. Then one of the other will be third Ā with in theory a much easier game although Wycombe and Shrewsbury are both improving.

It is a tough ask, but something we were discussing on train coming back.......Accrington cup game........would he risk anyone with a niggle ? We decided yes as the low number of games and keeping players in the groove is well worth the risk.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

3 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Derby are the ones i'd like to avoid if we're in the play offs, i know we had an off day but we were well beaten there , they've got a manager who knows how to get promoted & their fans would be up for it..

Either Ipswich or Plymouth would be beatable, with them being on a bit of a downer having missed out on the automatic places . We showed we can match Plymouth in both league games & Ipswich are inconsistant.......plus it would be a chance to settle an old score, i'm still bitter about Knightgate !!!

Granted our record is poor against the top 6 but I think we are a very different proposition now. Iā€™ve no fear of the play offs, however not given up on automatics yet. šŸ¤žšŸ¤ž

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ani said:

There are 4 teams in the division chasing top 2.

Sheff Weds 0 points 1 game

Plymouth 1 point 2 games

Derby 1 point 2 games

Ipswich 1 point 1 gameĀ 

as said already

if you think Derby and Ipswich are chasing the top 2, then surely we are too, especially if they don't win their games in hand

there's a third of the season left

58 minutes ago, Zico said:

as said already

if you think Derby and Ipswich are chasing the top 2, then surely we are too, especially if they don't win their games in hand

there's a third of the season left

Tbf I am pointing out our record against the other top teams is poor which is fair indication they are at least as good as us .Ā 
Ā 

We are on form but being matched over that period by teams we need to catchĀ 

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=3

Ā Bet365 have us at 9/1 to finish top two which seems fair, my point is that catching teams who are above us, in form that matches and have games in hand is a big ask. Ipswich have wobbled and come back to the pack. Sheff Weds are showing no such signs, neither are Plymouth. Derby blinked for first time this weekend. Wycombe seem to be improving. Barnsley hanging on in there, Shrewsbury I think will come unstuck against the better teams.

Of course we could do it and I would love it if we did. Not sure my arse could survive the play offs so would help my blood pressure if we could make it.Ā