Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey (A)

matty2094

First half played well, good contest and shouldn't really have gone in behind. 

Second half we just didn't turn up, they came out with increased tempo and pressed us very high and we couldn't live with it at all. 

Dissapionting result, but focus now on Bristol. 

Leave it for the doom mongers now.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A pissed off post if ever I saw one! 🤣

We're all frustrated, but evidence has suggested recently, that we can dominate with our style and score goals.

I doubt many more will perform like Portsmouth. 

As above, I think there is still room for tactical improvement by IE, and maybe on the odd occasion, be prepared for a horses for courses type approach.

I felt they might stop our midfield from its usual game, and it proved to be the case, and I do believe that there is a stubborn streak whereby he wants to show his way is the best.

He is still learning though, and the team is developing at the same time.

I'm jot going to get unduly angry about it though- previously I've said I didn't think we had the squad for automatic promotion, but now I think we may have. Are Portsmouth better- possibly but second will do. 

Not really, I'm quite resigned to it

If we go up, it'll likely be because we can go on long unbeaten runs against those outside the top six

Portsmouth were strong, physical well organised and the ref bought them falling down at the slightest touch. I don't think they are a great side at all they just did a job on us.

Charles scores that goal and it's a different game but too many of ours didn't have good games. Both wing backs and Santos proved again if you play  up on him, match him physically and don't give him time he struggles.

Came on after the Carlisle game and said Evatt had no plan B. Since then he has proved me wrong.

Not going to have a pop tonight just did a number on us.

Teams playing a high press have us worked out. Put that down as good management from the opposition and a decent home team effort.

Go again Saturday

7 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

When has it been worse than that?

You said Years!!!

Just this season Carlisle & Wigan - worse.

They’re top of the bloody league for Gods sake.

FFS I can’t believe I’ve even replied. 

I only did because I know you 👍🏻

Edited by captainmed

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Not really, I'm quite resigned to it

If we go up, it'll likely be because we can go on long unbeaten runs against those outside the top six

We've done well enough against the top teams this season.

I didn't massively fancy us tonight, but Christ I'm not resigned to such negativity. 

If we're so bad against the better teams, then long runs against lower teams won't cut it will it, as the better teams will also beat them.

5 minutes ago, wiggy said:

Very similar to Barnsley away in the play-offs. They did the same job on us.

I must admit it all felt very Barnsley-ish - live on Sky, commentators bigging up Charles and our great football pre-match and 1st half, and by the end saying we didn't create anything, and Charles having a bit of a mare.  And the feeling that we are physically/tactically weak when it comes to the bigger games.  

And as said above, for a team so reliant on wingbacks, ours are very poor.  It sticks out like a sore thumb, and I'm not saying we can't beat Bristol Rovers and Orient with them, but if its a 6 pointer in April, or 2 play off semis, we need better.

Did a job on us 2nd half and perfect game management.

My worry is soon as Maghoma fades or is taken off thats our creativity done with.

Not the of the world, they weren't that much better than us imo, just killed the game and didnt give us an inch.

Be reet.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We've done well enough against the top teams this season.

I didn't massively fancy us tonight, but Christ I'm not resigned to such negativity. 

If we're so bad against the better teams, then long runs against lower teams won't cut it will it, as the better teams will also beat them.

It might do given how capable we are of going on a long winning run

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I must admit it all felt very Barnsley-ish - live on Sky, commentators bigging up Charles and our great football pre-match and 1st half, and by the end saying we didn't create anything, and Charles having a bit of a mare.  And the feeling that we are physically/tactically weak when it comes to the bigger games.  

And as said above, for a team so reliant on wingbacks, ours are very poor.  It sticks out like a sore thumb, and I'm not saying we can't beat Bristol Rovers and Orient with them, but if its a 6 pointer in April, or 2 play off semis, we need better.

I think describing dacres cogley as poor is very unfair. Even Randall. Dacres cogley been very good this season. Randall hit and miss but neither are poor.