Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Leyton Orient (H)

freds dad

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not sure if you were there but it looked sparse compared to most home games.  Plenty gaps and a very flat, pre-Christmas atmosphere.  Was always going to be today, not complaining, but certainly wasn't one of our better turn outs this season.

I was indeed there, and it didn't look 21,500 or anything like it. I was refering to the  official version.

2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Forrester is quality. Him in a 3 with George Johnston and Eoin Toal will be magnificent.

Yes, I'm aware who I'm leaving out but they would work imo

I'd like to see Evatt think about Forrester as a DM, to give extra protection to the back three against some of the better sides or within games if we need to shore it up and wrestle control back. Not the most physically imposing but good tackler, largely calm and confident on ball, passing it or carrying it forward. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

I'd like to see Evatt think about Forrester as a DM, to give extra protection to the back three against some of the better sides or within games if we need to shore it up and wrestle control back. Not the most physically imposing but good tackler, largely calm and confident on ball, passing it or carrying it forward. 

That might work. The famed "campo role' that Muamba was better at.

Hrs a very good footballer so could work. Give it a go at Accy in a game which doesn't really matter

17 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

If we add such a defensive midfielder we'd have to go 4 at the back, or else we'd be in our half tapping it round with Baxter all game

The frustration second half was that it was obvious what was happening and we started playing long balls that came straight back.

I feel as though I say this a lot but in games like second half today Sheehan shows less than Madeline McCann. The game passes him by. And IE will never change the formation. Legohead got a foot in a couple of times but we just never held the ball for more than 4 or 5 passes. Jerome and Big Vic improved as Charles and Big Daddy did not get a kick. 

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Ani said:

The frustration second half was that it was obvious what was happening and we started playing long balls that came straight back.

I feel as though I say this a lot but in games like second half today Sheehan shows less than Madeline McCann. The game passes him by. And IE will never change the formation. Legohead got a foot in a couple of times but we just never held the ball for more than 4 or 5 passes. Jerome and Big Vic improved as Charles and Big Daddy did not get a kick. 

Sheehan was superb first 15 mins or so but then did a Lord Lucan. Don't remember touching the ball 2nd half

Next 3 over the festive period are crucial.

Lincoln (A)

Fleetwood (A)

Burton (H)

We really can't be looking to take anything less than 9 points if we want to finish in the top 2.

I do feel that the current top 4 will stay there for the remainder of the season, think us, Pompey, Peterborough and Derby are stronger than the rest of them, what order I am not sure.

I personally feel we'll start a run now, but we will drop points in at either Lincoln or Fleetwood, maybe 7 points realistically.

Then even after the 2 cup games, it's;

Cheltenham (H)

Leyton Orient (A)

Carlisle (A)

Real chance now to go on another run now.

Edited by Lostock Whites

3-0 and coasting after 10 mins.
Dion should score when clean through, but as is often the case, the longer he has to decide what to do, the worse his decision.

Orient bossed the second half and I was pleased for Pratley to exert some influence, I always liked him.

That said, Jerome still puts one on a plate for Adeboyejo to kill the game off and he hits it at the keeper. Rebound falls to Thomason's right foot, which is only any use for standing on.

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, superkev said:

Got attracted to the ball for the first goal

I’m not sure what you’d want from a player. If he goes to the ball and fails, you criticise stating, “Got attracted to the ball for the first goal.”

I have no doubt if he’d stood off the attacking player and we’d conceded you’d have criticised along the lines of, “He stood off the player with the ball and allowed him through. Should’ve attacked the ball.”

So he really can’t win.

11 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Well remembered, 8 minutes it was.  I wonder when we last went 3 up in 10 minutes in a match that Pratley didn't play!

We played Villa opening game a few years back.

2-2 after 9 minutes.

2-2 at the final whistle.

Bolton were 3-0 up after 10 minutes against Leyton Orient – it’s the earliest a side in the EFL (Championship, League One and League Two) has scored three goals in a game since Opta have exact times (from 2013-14).

9 hours ago, Stig said:

If we add such a defensive midfielder we'd have to go 4 at the back, or else we'd be in our half tapping it round with Baxter all game

Assuming our regular back 3 are playing it could be a in-game option to stabilise us when we lose the plot as we did yesterday, where I'd have sacrificed Sheehan after an hour. Otherwise, assuming Evatt's never going to veer away from 3-5-2 it could be a solid base for Sheehan to be used further forward, where he can be every bit as effective as he is at the base. He is great there if sides don't press much and sit in, less so if they go with a front 3 and extra presser who bullies him. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, waffer cup 07 said:

For me our midfield, while great in the 1st half, totally went missing 2nd half, that's where the changes should have been made, not upfront.

In terms of midfield, there was no one on the bench who you would say would toughen it up. All attacking types.

It would have to be a numbers job, which would mean a change of formation, which he just doesn't do 

28 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

For me our midfield, while great in the 1st half, totally went missing 2nd half, that's where the changes should have been made, not upfront.

As I continued to rant yesterday….he defo picks his substitutions and times to make em pre game and does them regardless

Some credit to Orient who didn't cave in at 0-3 & starting causing problems at the end of the 1st half by pressing so hard, the no 11 was a nuisance all game & both their goals were well taken..

but...in the 2nd half we panicked, stopped passing the ball & switched to the famed plan B ("geddit forward ") just launching it upfield & consistently giving up possession. If we're going to do that, we need Jerome on the pitch earlier, he was a bright spot & the ball started to stick with him on.

Anyway 3 points & a bit to think about but  hopefully the start of another run.

In the 2nd half we just became so direct and panicky, yes credit to Orient who pressed us but made it so much more difficult than it needed to be.

We kept trying to do everything first time on the counter, instead of just trying to recycle and keep hold of the ball and destroy their momentum.

That led to a lot of half clearances and poor passes, mostly ending up as throw ins and again playing directly in to their gameplan with the long throws.

Not being funny as well, but some of the supporters sat behind me in WSL were doing my head in, constantly moaning and crying for the players to "just get it up!" When that's all that we tried doing all half.

Edited by Lostock Whites

The 2nd half chance with Jerome and Adeboydells was interesting. They being fresh legs ran up the pitch and there was a large gap behind as they did so. The chance was missed, but a glimpse at our midfield showed the majority with hands on their knees catching some breath. 
They looked knackered.

Edited by Plums

11 hours ago, Traf said:

3-0 and coasting after 10 mins.
Dion should score when clean through, but as is often the case, the longer he has to decide what to do, the worse his decision.

Orient bossed the second half and I was pleased for Pratley to exert some influence, I always liked him.

That said, Jerome still puts one on a plate for Adeboyejo to kill the game off and he hits it at the keeper. Rebound falls to Thomason's right foot, which is only any use for standing on.

Agree with that, although Tomo did score with his right!

The shot from Vic was powder puff, weak and lacking direction.

Pratley scored the 1st goal with a header the last time we went 3 up in under 10 minutes.  Mark Davies and Dawson with the others.