Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Your first (or kids) away

Underpants

Needs a thread on its own.

Blackburn Rovers for me. Worthy's winning goal in '78. I stood on the Riverside terrace because the away end was full. Can't remember seeing much of the match because it was rammed, and I wasn't 6' 2" like I am now. I remember the walk back to the coaches was a monster. Was almost in Darwin when we boarded.

First one I remember is Rotherham away when Tony Cunningham scored 2. Sat on a big yellow barrier at the front.

Remember Stoke away on first day one season too.

Got a night game at Wigan and 1-1 in my mind too. Steve Thommo met us outside and gave us complimentary tickets.

Preston around 1966, with my dad. Bury, but my uncle played for them on the fringes.

Under my own steam probably Port Vale, about 1970.  It was like Agincourt but with waves of bricks filling the sky, rather than arrows.  Our very own Zulu leading the charge.

John Byrom was found shaking a time-wasting ball-boy by his throat.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

Stoke in Jan 1997, was a Tuesday night 2-1 win at their old ground. Me and three mates all dodged school that afternoon with a different forged letter, I was at a Chiropodist. The head of year found out and it made the school leavers book later that year 🤣

Both my kids first away was the 1-0 a couple years back at Shrews, Dion hit that screamer in in the last minute. Limbs!!!

13 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I asked my Dad this question and he told me his first away was at Rotherham in 1966

He reckons we've never beaten them away from home since

Rotherham is up there with being one of the most visited places I've been to watching the Whites. I have never seen us win there. I dernt miss a trip there in case we win. It is an utterly shit record.

As a 12yr old in 94 vs Burnley in the Burnley end with my brothers mates Burnley supporting family felt like a proper mini not right hiding amongst the dingles forgetting I was a gangly geek of a child (not much has changed in adulthood tbf).

Never really had the money for many away games outside the Northwest.

6 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

As a 12yr old in 94 vs Burnley in the Burnley end with my brothers mates Burnley supporting family felt like a proper mini not right hiding amongst the dingles forgetting I was a gangly geek of a child (not much has changed in adulthood tbf).

Never really had the money for many away games outside the Northwest.

Same, I went by myself though- cab from the station and missed us score first 2

i think my lad was Wimbledon 1st game of promotion season, made the back of the BEN

Eldest might have been Huddersfield 1-0 in a meaningless end of season game, good days though

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

First one I remember is Rotherham away when Tony Cunningham scored 2. Sat on a big yellow barrier at the front.

Was there myself that day however my first was Wembley 89 for the Sherpa final. My 9th birthday. Dad was too concerned with going with the lads on a fun bus so got my grandad to take me. Back of the neighbours tranny van for the full journey there and back.

next one after that was the year after I think? Bristol rovers at Twerton Park. Sunday afternoon, drew 1 apiece and I think Philliskirk scored? Seem to remember we played in that light blue matchwinner kit? But could be totally wrong thinking about Rovers colours and it could’ve been the red one..   

1 hour ago, Dr Faustus said:

Same, I went by myself though- cab from the station and missed us score first 2

i think my lad was Wimbledon 1st game of promotion season, made the back of the BEN

Eldest might have been Huddersfield 1-0 in a meaningless end of season game, good days though

My lad has less than no interest in coming to the footy with me offered to take him whilst his grandad is over in Oz visiting my brother but got a stoney face NO.

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Was there myself that day however my first was Wembley 89 for the Sherpa final. My 9th birthday. Dad was too concerned with going with the lads on a fun bus so got my grandad to take me. Back of the neighbours tranny van for the full journey there and back.

next one after that was the year after I think? Bristol rovers at Twerton Park. Sunday afternoon, drew 1 apiece and I think Philliskirk scored? Seem to remember we played in that light blue matchwinner kit? But could be totally wrong thinking about Rovers colours and it could’ve been the red one..   

That game at Bristol- was it the game where one of the teams had 20 odd corners or some strange stat?

I'm pretty sure mine was Tranmere away league cup semi in 2000. Horrendous experience I don't want to think about... 

Next was West Brom away in the play off semi next year, far better experience! I remember the atmosphere when Holdsworth was taken off at 2 nil down being pretty negative (to put it mildly) but the switch to 451 worked a treat and we dominated. The atmosphere when we got it back to 2-2 was immense 

Pretty sure it was Blackburn away on the first day of 76/7. Hot day as I recall, we were in the main stand in a family group. However a large number of other Bolton fans were also present in the home ends and did not have the same benign intentions as us. Absolute carnage. As I went to more and more aways I began to understand that our away support hadn't really adjusted to the relatively recent introduction of the away end. Instead they liked to populate the home end and brazenly make their presence known! It was to be a regular occurrence at Ewood Park. I remember being on a bus travelling to a game there in the late 90s and hearing an older local bloke say to his wife "these lot are mental, watch out today". He'd clearly seen it all unfold in previous years.

We lost 3-1 in August 76.